New £5 note angers vegans and vegetarians

Soldato
There is nothing new under the Sun!

Excerpt....

The final spark was provided by the ammunition for the new Enfield P-53 rifle.[27] These rifles, which fired Minié balls, had a tighter fit than the earlier muskets, and used paper cartridges that came pre-greased. To load the rifle, sepoys had to bite the cartridge open to release the powder.[28] The grease used on these cartridges was rumoured to include tallow derived from beef, which would be offensive to Hindus,[29] and pork, which would be offensive to Muslims. At least one Company official pointed out the difficulties this may cause:

Soldato
The religious nutters have got in on the act now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38160291

So I assume that from now on everyone that goes into a Hindu or Sikh temple must have not consumed a cow or pig in the last 2 weeks in case there is a trace element inside you and definitely not to do number 2s in their loos? :)

Our ethos is not to harm animals. It's problematic for us because we're implicated in the process. So it's immediately become a matter of concern for our community.

But I guess they won't stop using cars or products delivered via a motorised vehicle on the road network which kills millions of wild animal every year? ;_;

Soldato
That's it! Ban all plastics and lets back to the good old days of bauxite.

Watch them DVDs shatter to bits in your player. :D

From what I can gather tallow is used to make polymers more elastic therefore increasing the elasticity of the polymer bonds in plastic and other products.
I might be wrong on this. ;)

By the way vegans, cows need milking as if we don't who is going to drink the milk?:confused:

It is supposed to be produced for the calf, but we take the calf away to make another cow so she needs milking. :p

Soldato
Something that is a natural phenomenon cannot be inhumane, especially at a time no humans existed.

So you are saying the most humane way of slaying creatures of mother earth is from space.

Example......

100 cows in a field and we know a small meteorite is going to hit the field with 100 cows in, we know it will kill most of the cows but we also have a means of stopping it.

But it would be at the expense of millions of pounds and thousands of man hours to stop.

What would you do? :confused:

Associate
So you are saying the most humane way of slaying creatures of mother earth is from space.

No, that doesn't logically follow my comment at all.

If there was something humans could do to stop harm coming to animals then that may be the appropriate, or even morally imperative thing to do. You may know of efforts to help and save wildlife, and domestic animals. If it was beyond any reasonable efforts then that would be that.

I have no idea what the consequence of removing tallow from the notes would be. Perhaps it is just too difficult and costly. But if it were to be relatively easy then why not remove it? What harm would that be doing to you?

Last edited:
Soldato
If the new fivers were made of velum and printed with piglet blood I'd understand why the vegans were mad about this, but a tiny amount of tallow isn't worthy of the fuss that's been made.

A vegan could always refuse it and take coins in a shop, tbh I can imagine them enjoying doing this.

Soldato
Also old paper banknotes could already have animal product in it.

Unlike most printing and writing paper, banknote paper is infused with polyvinyl alcohol or gelatin.

Unfortunately I can't find out if UK notes use gelatin.

Soldato
I'd like to care on behalf of someone else, but unlike so many people outraged by immigrants despite never having any real impact on their lives, I don't!

Soldato
I still can't believe the BoE are actually pampering to this and looking at ways to remove the animal fats according to the updated BBC article.

Great, so the vegans win on this, next it will be hammered home on every publicly offered product from transport to park benches

Soldato
No, that doesn't logically follow my comment at all.

If there was something humans could do to stop harm coming to animals then that may be the appropriate, or even morally imperative thing to do. You may know of efforts to help and save wildlife, and domestic animals. If it was beyond any reasonable efforts then that would be that.

I have no idea what the consequence of removing tallow from the notes would be. Perhaps it is just too difficult and costly. But if it were to be relatively easy then why not remove it? What harm would that be doing to you?

We are animals yet we kill each other everyday of the year and let it waste and rot as we don't do cannibalism in general.

Animal is just a creature, to eat or look after it has no real physiological purpose in our animal lives, so why is it in our animalistic life that you should not eat animals? :confused:

We are animals not much different from cows, pigs, or sheep. Although sheep I think is becoming the closest relative now. :D

Back
Top Bottom