Overwatch

Associate
5 placement matches last night

W/L/W/L/D

The two loses where very close 4-5 and 1-0, nice team work in Solo Q and friended a good healer (so win-win). Both could have gone either way, so kind of unlucky.

Draw was 0-0 lots of action

The wins I actually carried playing Reinhardt (Im not that good with him but smaller tight maps seems to be easier to control choke points), and the second win carried with Symmetra (defense), Lucio (attack as second healer).

Happy in general with my play I think I have improved tons from Season 2, will do the other 5 tonight and see where I stand.

Last edited:
Soldato
are people actually trolling in placement match on purpose??

Group of 3 this morning in a match on my team, they pick hanzo,widow and ana for attack......

Soldato
5 played - lost 4 won 1.....honestly - it's like free weekend all over again - people don;t have a clue, constantly switching players, picking stupid picks etc.......

Soldato
Probably won't play my placements until the weekend when others I play with are all around... A little scared of placing super low and that basically being stuck below the glass ceiling again for the season... But at least Quick Play has the hero limit and some of the arcade game modes are good fun...

Playing 3v3 the night before last ended up in a 1v1 against the enemy Road-Hog... as Zen... Suffice to say it didn't look good but somehow I managed to dodge all his hooks and land enough discord + charge combos to wear him down then jumped around like a mad-man kicking him in the face for the win :D

Associate
Probably won't play my placements until the weekend when others I play with are all around... A little scared of placing super low and that basically being stuck below the glass ceiling again for the season... But at least Quick Play has the hero limit and some of the arcade game modes are good fun...

Playing 3v3 the night before last ended up in a 1v1 against the enemy Road-Hog... as Zen... Suffice to say it didn't look good but somehow I managed to dodge all his hooks and land enough discord + charge combos to wear him down then jumped around like a mad-man kicking him in the face for the win :D
I was in a similar position with Zen the other day, I hid around the spawn truck and just charged RMB and peeked to do some headshots. Really easy win tbh.

Soldato
Reading on Reddit it sounds very much like the way their algorithm works is:

Above Diamond? You will rank close to where you ended up last season even if you totally screw up your placements...

Below Diamond? You'll be massively lower than you ended up last season even if you do great in your placements...

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be quite as extreme as people are making out, or we might just end up with a similar ELO-hell situation to last season, only it'll be at a lower rank overall and with a massive SR chasm from the top of ELO-hell to the bottom of Diamond...

Associate
Reading on Reddit it sounds very much like the way their algorithm works is:

Above Diamond? You will rank close to where you ended up last season even if you totally screw up your placements...

Below Diamond? You'll be massively lower than you ended up last season even if you do great in your placements...

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be quite as extreme as people are making out, or we might just end up with a similar ELO-hell situation to last season, only it'll be at a lower rank overall and with a massive SR chasm from the top of ELO-hell to the bottom of Diamond...

That's the case. Can't speak for ELO hell as I am currently maining Lucio which I haven't done before, so the dynamic is different with it. However at the moment I have won 6, drawn 1, lost 2 I am at 2208 from 1910 so it's moving quick enough. The salt from some people when we lose is annoying I may have to just turn off voice comms full stop. If I want to hear grown men screaming at pixels I will watch one of them popular Twitch streams!

Associate
4 Wins / 4 Loses / 2 Draws - 623 SR :mad:

Played very well compared to Season 2 Placements (4 Wins / 6 Loses) and in general better than Season 2.

I really don't know WTF Blizzard is doing with their ranking algo. :mad:

KnOhVJs.jpg

I play an amazing Symmetra ... Quite good DVa/Junkrat and Lucio IMO

Last edited:
Soldato

Played very well compared to Season 2 Placements (4 Wins / 6 Loses) and in general better than Season 2.

KnOhVJs.jpg

Record some gameplay and we can try to see where you're going wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
Everyone from plat down have generally got a decrease, I believe they use your last seasons rank as a basepoint and then you drop from there. So I don't know if it's possible to rank higher than you achieved last season.

What they are trying to do, is make people rank lower than maybe they should, in the hope that cream rises to the top and that you don't have like 80% of the players stuck in gold or platinum hell like last season. The gulf in skill levels was just insane.

Whether this will work, remains to be seen, far too early to tell. I will say that on the whole I am feeling things are not too terrible so far. I did have a guy go sniper in protest because we had hanzo and basically threw the game. Most of them have been ok, win or lose. The toxicity though, my god people need to chill a bit.

I am currently sitting on my career high of 2331. (I thought I hit around 2400 last season, but there you go).

Associate
Yikes, last season I only did my 10 placements then 2 more matches (both wins) for a 2628 so...guessing I'll get started around 2500?

Hopefully get some placements in tonight with the gang, planning on playing more the seasons, last one we stupidly all agreed to only play as a 6 and then could never get all 6 on at the same time.

Soldato
offft - 10 matches done.

4 wins/6 losses with really poor teams

1918 SR - man it's a long road back to my career high of 2400 from there!!!!

Soldato
What they are trying to do, is make people rank lower than maybe they should, in the hope that cream rises to the top and that you don't have like 80% of the players stuck in gold or platinum hell like last season. The gulf in skill levels was just insane.

Whether this will work, remains to be seen, far too early to tell.

Indeed, I just hope they've changed the way the rank points are distributed as well so that climbing out of your start rank doesn't become too difficult as time goes on - if there's a massive gap from the top of the "low ranks" up to diamond, it may make it very hard to cross that gap -> if you manage to claw your way out you'll still be so far away from the Diamond + ranks that you'll just get placed back into more games with the lower ranked players...

Wait and see though, as you say... I'll settle for a low rank if most games are close and fun :p

Associate

KnOhVJs.jpg

Try and play the meta a little more, maybe stick with DVa this season. Support seems like the route you should go down based on your stats, you should be consistently dropping more than 30 kills on pharah to play a viable DPS.

Back
Top Bottom