• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4K Gaming.. The 60fps game list!

Associate
Like many others on here, I've made the switch to a 1080 gtx and so far am blown away with its performance. I got it with the intention of 'just' running 1440p resolution @ 60fps, but am pretty shocked to find some really good games in my steam list running at max settings at 4k resolutions whilst keeping above the 60fps mark.

So, as its games sale season, and as there are currently some really cheap finds out there anyway, I thought it might be an idea to get a list going of what plays at 4k whilst maxed (or essentially maxed) whilst maintaining 60fps.

Lets not go back too far, and lets say it has to be no more than a few years old, and it has to look the part.

For example, I'm now playing Metal Gear Solid V and Mad Max. Both of which look amazing at 4k and run as if the cards not even breaking a sweat. I've basically gone into settings, set to max, and off we go.

Given that combined, these 2 games can now be found for about £12, its rude not to play these at 4k if you can.

So, what else is out there that's worth grabbing for 4K gorgeousness. Thats right, gorgeousness.

Associate
OP
1. Metal Gear Solid V
2. Mad Max
3. Dirt Rally
4. Alien Isolation
5. Doom
6. Mortal Kombat X
7. Street Fighter V
8. Lego: The Hobbit (and probably all the others)
9. Ryse

Last edited:
Soldato
Star Wars battlefront will hit 60
GTA v Will with some reduction in settings. A 1080 won't even max GTA at 1440p so you do have to play with settings.
Doom just about will
Dirt rally will on ultra

Last edited:
Permabanned
Star Wars battlefront will hit 60
GTA v Will with some reduction in settings. A 1080 won't even max GTA at 1440p so you do have to play with settings.
Doom just about will
Dirt rally will on ultra

What exactly does ultra mean? No AA

I'm only at 3440x1440 and Dirt rally struggles to keep at 30 fps with lots of dropped settings on a Fury pro. so I can't imagine anywhere near 60 at 4k, I doubt even a TXP would manage that. Unless there is a particular setting in the game that's killing performance, and if so which is it please?

Soldato
What exactly does ultra mean? No AA

I'm only at 3440x1440 and Dirt rally struggles to keep at 30 fps with lots of dropped settings on a Fury pro. so I can't imagine anywhere near 60 at 4k, I doubt even a TXP would manage that. Unless there is a particular setting in the game that's killing performance, and if so which is it please?

My 1080 will smash dirt rally at 4K, even my 1060 will smash 75fps at 1440p

I don't know how a Fury compares but obviously not so well.

The magic setting in dirt rally is ambient occlusion.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/20

Associate
I think its pretty fair to say AA really isn't necessary at 4k. The ones I've mentioned didn't have any AA running, yet looked pin sharp as you would expect really. Another one is Alien Isolation. 4k at 60fps maxed out.

You probably like those jaggies :D .. FXAA or 2xMSAA is needed in most games unless it's fast paced (you have to stop and look to find them) or you don't care.

Associate
OP
Limited, but there are definitely good titles out there. Doom is another one. So 5 so far.

Given I'm only running a 2600K, this is quite impressive.

Associate
I think its pretty fair to say AA really isn't necessary at 4k. The ones I've mentioned didn't have any AA running, yet looked pin sharp as you would expect really. Another one is Alien Isolation. 4k at 60fps maxed out.

+1

You probably like those jaggies :D .. FXAA or 2xMSAA is needed in most games unless it's fast paced (you have to stop and look to find them) or you don't care.

Ever heard of SSAA? It essentially renders the game at a higher resolution (and then downscales) as an AA method, granted it's one of the worst, if only due to horrendous performance hit. A 4k game with 2x SSAA would be rendering at 8k. 1080p games at 4x SSAA render at 4k. The increased resolution combats the jaggies, why else would SSAA be a form of anti-aliasing?

For all intents and purposes, the higher the resolution, the less one requires AA. I run most of my 1080p games without AA since I simply don't need it. I never notice many jaggies on those and even less so at 1440p. AA is thusly pointless at 4k.

I know they are older games, but I bet the likes of Arkham City and Just Cause 2 would be easy at 4k. I'm running a few games like Skyrim SE and Planetside 2 at 1440p on my 970 and getting at least 60 fps, though the latter really does depend on the patch, performance is a rollercoaster in that game.

Soldato
Doom really is fantastically optimised. Although if you go right up to a wall you can see the textures are really quite terrible. but as 99.999% of the time you don't notice this and it looks great. Well done ID.

Associate
OP
Street fighter 5 will do 60fps 4k max settings on a 1080

I read mortal kombat x does as well.

Forgot about Mortal Kombat, was playing it the other day and it certainly does. Shall add it to the list as well as street fighter (gonna keep an eye out for a good price on that one as I don't own it)

Back
Top Bottom