Not drinking at work Christmas party

Associate
I'm sure many have been here - not wanting to drink at a social occasion but feeling like you're being anti social or a bit of a kill joy.

My team consists of about 10 people. I've been there 9 months and only been out once socially for a leaving party.

I'm reluctant to drink for two reasons:

1) I've heavily drank the last few weeks to the point that I really need a break as it's had an impact physically and mentally

2) I know work parties can get really messy and don't want to really stay till 2am with work colleagues (not friends).

I did consider just having a few drinks but you know what it's like, people often get drinks in without asking and suddenly you're drinking more than you wanted. This may sound like I have no control - partly true I guess - but equally it's so easy to get swept up in the party spirit.

I'm not a fan of work Christmas parties at all, I've spoke to others who feel similar.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Soldato
well just don't drink.

or just drink lightly.

i also have no control but its possible to go the whole night on pints of shandy (say 3) you are still drinking but will only end up having 1.5 pints total.

Caporegime
'I'm just having a couple tonight.' or 'I'm not drinking tonight, thanks for the offer though.'
'Thanks, but I'll just have a <insert non alcoholic drink here>.'
'No, really it is ok, but I'm not drinking tonight.'

Have a back bone, just say you are not drinking or will only have one or two.

Soldato
buy coke, tell them it's vodka and coke. If someone buys you one, leave it somewhere or tip it away or give it to someone else.

But, just saying, "nah guys, i've drunk too much in the last couple of weeks and want a night off" should be more than enough for a bunch of grown ups to understand.

Associate
If you don't want to drink then simply don't drink. If you want an excuse then just say you are on Antibiotics or something like that and that you need to stick to soft drinks.

You should never feel under pressure to drink and if your colleagues don't respect your decision then you should be questioning what value any social relationship with then would have.

Caporegime
It's not quite as easy as saying "just tell them you don't want to drink tonight" though is it? A lot of places have a "work hard, play hard" culture and you're expected to fit in with both bits. Not taking part in workplace nights out and banter can be a career limiting move.

Soldato
I'm always "driving", as far as such people are concerned.
I also have three dogs at home alone, so I have to leave early if I want to avoid a house full of dog ****.

If they still can't accept that, they're not the sort of people I'd be partying with in the first place.
I don't usually go to such things anyway because I'm an anti-social *******, but that's just me!! :D

Soldato
It's not quite as easy as saying "just tell them you don't want to drink tonight" though is it? A lot of places have a "work hard, play hard" culture and you're expected to fit in with both bits. Not taking part in workplace nights out and banter can be a career limiting move.

if that's how it is then it's not a place I'd like to work because it's full of salesmen types who's ego's are over-enlarged to make up for a small man hood :D

You can still join in, have a laugh and a joke about without getting slaughtered or even drink. I used to attend a lot of works events and it never effected how people saw me that I didn't drink. I lived a £40 taxi ride away so always drove. No one gave two hoots.

Soldato

You're driving and will be setting off at 6am so you get to Ben Nevis in time for your night time hike up the north face?

or

You're driving and need to be up early to take your sick mother to her chemotherapy.

Whichever suits the work environment better.

Back
Top Bottom