Purchase Advice

Soldato
I'm looking for a bit of buying advice - my experience with cameras is quite limited, having owner a Nikon D50 about 10 years ago.

I'm currently using my phone (S7 Edge) for all my photos and videos, which is quite limiting. I tend to take a mixture of photos and videos, both indoors and out of kids, pets, landscapes etc. I'm totally confused as to what would be a good camera (DSLR? Mirrorless?). Do I need 4k? I do a bit of video editing, but only currently shoot in 1080p.

Don't really have a budget - could probably spend up to £1000 or so.

Sorry if this is a bit vague! I've thoroughly confused myself by reading lots of DSLR reviews.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Who's going to be viewing your videos? Do they all have 4k TVs/Monitors?
If not, I'd say don't bother.
How manly are you? DSLRs can get heavy when you have a bag full of stuff to cart around.

Soldato
OP
Viewing - videos will be watched by family/friends I guess. The TVs in the house are all 4K, and I'd like to future proof a little. If its not worth the extra outlay I'm happy to stay at 1080p. The only reason I don't shoot at 4K on my phone is due to the lack of image stabilisation.

Happy to lug around a bag, although from a practical point of view if I'm out with the kids I probably don't want a bag full of lenses (could that be solved by a high quality non prime lens?)

Soldato
OP
I'm a bit concerned about the "shaky" comment above - the G7 appears to have excellent image stabilisation and can be had for <£500. Any negatives to it?

Back
Top Bottom