Setting up Pi-hole

Associate
You guys running heatsinks? My RPi 3 is chugging along at 50C :p

(Solely running Pi-hole on Jessie lite in the official case)

I'll check when i get home, but i'm running Pi-hole and a backup server on a Pi3 with one of those tiny stick on copper heatsinks.

Has anybody had any success doing this with a BT Smart Hub?

I have the home hub 4 which doesn't allow you to change the DNS, so have had to do it separately on my PCs and mobile devices. I expect the same from the smart hub. Works a treat.

Don
You guys running heatsinks? My RPi 3 is chugging along at 50C :p

(Solely running Pi-hole on Jessie lite in the official case)

Mine's at 41 degrees (Pi3) with the Flirc case. Turns the whole case into a heatsink, it has a heat transfer pad and a large block of metal that comes from the top of the case and meets the CPU.

Currently running Unifi Controller, Pi-Hole and Apache

Associate
For anyone with an edgemax router, you dont need a pi-hole, you can install a package on the router that does the same (minus the gui). google 'edgemax cli adblock' for details

Soldato
Has anybody had any success doing this with a BT Smart Hub?

If you can't change the DNS on the Router then your only option is to change the DNS on the clients.

Got this running on a Ubuntu VM and works a treat except for video adds like on youtube so i still keep uBlock on my PC.

Last edited:
Commissario
After a while with this on a Zero, I can't recommend it. The actual pi-hole works perfectly well but as I said above, the web interface is utterly useless.

If you don't care about looking at the stats then the Zero is fine, otherwise use something else, a Pi2 or Pi3 instead.

Commissario
For those of you with a router that doesn't allow you to change the DNS settings such as the BT Home Hub, there's an update to Pi-Hole which enables it as a DHCP box as well. That way you can turn off DHCP on your router and let the Pi handle it. That means that the Pi is giving out IP addresses and pushing itself as the DNS server.

Soldato
The web interface on my Pi-Hole installation is playing up a bit. The graph that shows the number of queries is blank and the 'top advertisers' section is empty.

It's working fine though, it's pi-holing queries and at the op of the page it shows that 397 queries have been blocked today.

Edit - Sorted. There was an update available for Pi-Hole (2.10.2 to 2.11 & web interface 2.2 to 2.3) which has sorted it.

Last edited:
Associate
I got Pi-Hole up and working on my RPi3 last week via an Archer VR900. I set the internal address as the DNS server on the WAN interface and also for the LAN DHCP pool. Is that necessary or is it only required for the DHCP pool? (LAN devices were obviously not recieving the internal DNS address before i set this).

Also, has anyone tested the DHCP server that comes with Pi-Hole?

Soldato
That probably wasn't necessary but won't do any harm. I expect the VR900 DHCP server was passing the LAN address of the VR900 through as the DNS server which in turn is forwarding to the Pi-Hole. That said I would have still done it as I prefer to keep the nunber of DNS forwarders down.

I would also add a secondary DNS server to the DHCP config (I'm using 8.8.4.4) so that if your Pi-Hole isn't available your clients will still have access to a working DNS server.

I haven't tried the DHCP server in the Pi-Hole yet, it's a bit lacking in features for me as I configure my SIP phone and a few other things by DHCP.

Back
Top Bottom