How long to get used to wearing glasses for first time ?

Soldato
I had my eye's tested at specsavers and picked up my first ever pair of glasses a few days ago..

This is the first time I ever wore glasses and am I finding it impossible to keep them on for very as it so blurry/fuzzy it makes my eyes hurt...

My eyes were hurting so much from wearing these glasses yesterday that I was just thinking of giving up the idea of wearing glasses.

How long does it normally take to get used to wearing a pair of glasses for first time ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Go back to where you got them/had your eyes tested, it should be weird for the first little bit of time, but it shouldnt be blurry/fuzzy it should seem overly clear (at least that is my experience).

Man of Honour
Mine was a instant wow, what a massive difference with no hurting of my eyes. To be honest if your vision is blurry/fuzzy and your eyes are hurting then they may have got your prescription wrong. Didn't they get you to try them before you left the shop?

Soldato
As above the glasses sound wrong.

My experience with glasses is they make everything sharper and reduce the feeling of eye strain. You've described the opposite.

Man of Honour
Definitely sounds like the prescription is off. I've been wearing glasses/contacts since I was a toddler but I ordered some online a couple of years ago and had exactly the same problem and ended up returning them.

tnx

tnx

Associate
My eyes got old and stopped working properly a couple of years back. It was getting harder to read small print, then even big print was hard to read.
I went off to Specsavers, had my eyes tested, took me nearly 1 hour which was some sort of record ?
So I ended up needing glasses to read with and a different pair for every day stuff, driving and the like.

As soon as I wore them things were a whole lot better. I had no issues apart from it took my brain a few days to stop noticing the frames.

So as other have suggested go straight back, maybe get re-tested by a different person. Something does not sound quite right.

Soldato
Mine was a instant wow, what a massive difference with no hurting of my eyes. To be honest if your vision is blurry/fuzzy and your eyes are hurting then they may have got your prescription wrong. Didn't they get you to try them before you left the shop?

+1 on this

Best thing I did was to go for frame less Titanium - so light on nose.

When I was a nipper I used to put my Dads glasses on and was as you describe -fuzzy and thinking I was treading in a hole.

Soldato
OP
maybe get re-tested by a different person. Something does not sound quite right.
I was thinking of going to boots to get a test done so I could compare it to the specsavers test results

My specsavers test
R +0.50 -0.75 90.0 +1.50
L +0.50 -0.75 100.0 +1.50

Last edited:
Soldato
26 year old here who "had" to start wearing glasses almost a year ago. At first I noticed my vision was sharpened, nothing too drastic as I have only a slight prescription, but without a shadow of a doubt an improvement. No fuzziness that I can recall.

What bothered me most about wearing glasses was a faint little ache on the bridge of my nose which wasn't always there, but persisted on and off for a month or two.

I don't need them for everything but they barely come off my face now, feel naked without them.

Associate
Couple of months back I became a day to day speccy4eyes.

I found it to be immediately better, less strain, feeling less tired at my desk, everything crisp and sharp.

Getting used to it in the sense of walking, feeling like my legs were tiny, and them being on my face took several weeks though.

Soldato
OP
Getting used to it in the sense of walking, feeling like my legs were tiny, and them being on my face took several weeks though.
I ine walking fine..

I went out driving last night and kept on taking them off & on and noticed how much clearer/sharper everything was without wearing...(Apart from my dash clocks where clearer with them on)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was thinking of going to boots to get a test done so I could compare it to the specsavers test results

My specsavers test
R +0.50 -0.75 90.0 +1.50
L +0.50 -0.75 100.0 +1.50

at that sort of level you really shouldn't be feeling off - get right back in there and describe whats happening. Sounds like they've messed up something like the PD (distance between your eyes) which will make you feel pretty sick if its wrong.

They should do this without complaint or charge.

I wouldn't bother getting a second opinion unless they don't fix it in a timely manner. its worth nothing that even if you do get annother check it may well vary slightly...

Soldato
[SKR]Phoenix;30291175 said:
Should have gone to Spec...
Oh.

^ Had the exact same happen to me when they buggered up my latest pair. I only wear them for riding, but the instant I hopped on the bike it was like I'd shrunk by three foot. Went back and they swore blind (har har) that they'd done my 'scrip correct, including a slight 'aim-off' correction sort of thing which was what was skewing my eyes.

Problem was, when I was banked over in a corner, the ground suddenly looked like it was RIGHT in my face and I was reflexively backing off to correct... which in reality meant I was running wide on the curve and in serious danger. I simply had them make me a new set to the same old 'scrip, which wasn't really very different, and have been safely riding ever since.

So yeah, OP, any serious problems or discomfort, go straight back and get it sorted.

Back
Top Bottom