Overwatch

Associate
Definitely try to make some friends that you can play with regularly; it makes a ton of difference. I happened upon a few friends of friends, and now I will only ever play competitive when 4/5 of us are on.

I just watched a lot of YouTube videos to brush up on my game knowledge. Plenty of pros stream so it's pretty useful just to see how they play.

Associate
Throw down your battlenet id. I will throw you an add and I am sure others will follow suit.

As for what to go. Outside of Competetive, I say whatever you feel like going. People put far too much stock in quick play. I use quickplay as my little play thing. Maybe in competetive ask for suggestions in chat before picking, at least until you learn what is desirable in given circumstances. The only issue with that is people will probably make you do the bitch roles (healing is fun, but people won't do it because they all have to be cold blooded killers).

The team balance issues is mainly stemmed from groups, when people of different skill levels group up, it throws the match making into chaos. It's unfortunately an unavoidable side effect of allowing friends to play with each other.

Associate
meta compositions:
There are two 'meta' types (i.e. ones that see play in professional teams), which translates as "we must do this to win" in the minds of a lot of silly players.

One is two tanks, to damage dealers, two healers - it's a balanced team that works well. The exact choice of which characters is variable, and in theory should depend on the enemy, map etc but in most cases reinhardt + anyone is a good tank pick, lucio + one of ana, mercy or zen is a good healer pick, and the 'best' DPS are mcree, soldier 76, pharah.

The other is three tanks, two healers (including ana) and one pure damage dealer (usually soldier 76).

The reason people outside of 'pro' teams like to see these patterns is because they know it can work and trust it. In reality, there's a lot more to it.

'counters':
Some characters just work better against others (in a rock paper scissors way). Rather than look up a list, try this: When you're playing a given character think, "who keeps killing me"? That's a good person to pick to counter that character when the enemy team have one.

what to pick:
What rank are you in competitive, if you've got that far?
My opinion would be, if it's below ~2000, you just need at least one healer and at least one tank, everyone else can just play whatever they are best at. Above that, ask the team what they need (and be prepared to heal 80% of games).

In quick play or arcade: Whatever sounds fun.

Associate
Thanks for all the replies. I'm on for an hour or two most evenings, my battletag is Danswan1973 :)

My rank in competitive will be as low as it's possible to be I would think, I've played 4 or 5 and won 2 or 3

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for all the replies. I'm on for an hour or two most evenings, my battletag is Danswan1973 :)

My rank in competitive will be as low as it's possible to be I would think, I've played 4 or 5 and won 2 or 3

Ah, you won't have a rank yet then. You get assigned one after 10 matches.

I'll add you next time I'm on.

Soldato
my battletag is Danswan1973 :)

Just added.

I see in the friends chat list, there's an option to 'Create a channel'. Is this semi permanent? As in, it would be great if there was an IRC chat like channel that you could join in an evening and ask who fancied a game?

A lot of the time I load the game up, people are generally already in a game so I don't want to bother them. If there was a channel people could ask in, we'd perhaps group up more?

Associate
So I guess that there aren't really casual teams as such in this then? People just group up ad-hoc for a games against whoever they get matched with?

*edit* just realised I needed to give the other number - I'm actually Danswan1973#2910

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone wanna group up to play hero's of the storm to get the genji skin?

here's my battle net id for anyone intrested and anyone who would like to play in overwatch too: FlaminMaggot#2916

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Throw down your battlenet id. I will throw you an add and I am sure others will follow suit.

As for what to go. Outside of Competetive, I say whatever you feel like going. People put far too much stock in quick play. I use quickplay as my little play thing. Maybe in competetive ask for suggestions in chat before picking, at least until you learn what is desirable in given circumstances. The only issue with that is people will probably make you do the bitch roles (healing is fun, but people won't do it because they all have to be cold blooded killers).

The team balance issues is mainly stemmed from groups, when people of different skill levels group up, it throws the match making into chaos. It's unfortunately an unavoidable side effect of allowing friends to play with each other.

Read recently there a hidden rating matrix in quick play which contributes to you overall rating. Perhaps that explains why I am paired up with absolute clueless players. One game going solo where I tanked with Roadhog, we had Ana, Mcree, Symetra, Widow and Reaper for attack which I knew was a guaranteed loss before we even begun.

We lost and Got 5 golds doing really little tbh while forcing the payload with little to no support. It is the none existent game sense which is frustrating.

Where is Buzz when you need him ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Read recently there a hidden rating matrix in quick play which contributes to you overall rating. Perhaps that explains why I am paired up with absolute clueless players. One game going solo where I tanked with Roadhog, we had Ana, Mcree, Symetra, Widow and Reaper for attack which I knew was a guaranteed loss before we even begun.

We lost and Got 5 golds doing really little tbh while forcing the payload with little to no support. It is the none existent game sense which is frustrating.

Where is Buzz when you need him ;)

I was around yesterday, working nights this week kind of messed my sleep up, so my active hours are all over the shop right now. I should be on for most of tonight now.

Soldato
Has anyone spotted a recent offer/good price for this?
Poor student, lots of studying to do but need a distraction before I go insane!

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Had some good games tonight Buzz . Pity it was only me u and terms tried to team play and all others did their own thing. Fustrating as hell. :(

Associate
Had some good games tonight Buzz . Pity it was only me u and terms tried to team play and all others did their own thing. Fustrating as hell. :(

We played a few competitive games after you left and won both games (Illios and Temple of Anubis), very well.

I am impressed we dispatched that team of Diamonds and Masters though. I thoroughly enjoyed our time against that other team of masters and grand masters who destroyed us too. Getting the cart to a checkpoint was a very pleasing thing. Seeing as there was a gigantic gap in skill.

Today when we played together it was totally different from the time we played last week. We had some seriously good teamwork and were giving players above our current level a right good hiding. I recorded some games, but the best one unfortunately recorded without sound. I may still throw something together though. See how I am feeling.

Associate
Played a bit with Buzz yesterday, I normally get paired with people around my own level but the standard was massively better than I'm used to.

Think I need to group up with people around my own level really (54) as that was hard!

Associate
Yea I've been playing solo q this whole time on competitive and really suffering from it.

I've got stuck down in silver now where it seems like hell. Terrible troll picks and constant hate around the place.

Drop me an add if you would like Kearney88#2251

Associate
Played for around 5hrs last night.

First few matches were the usual crap in soloque some wins some loses, good/bad/troll teammates.

Then out of the blue I teamed with some rando that mained DVA but was competant in many heroes, then we started adding good players we played with till we got to a 6 man que.

I went from 600 up to 900 SR in the matter of two hours or so, the other guys blasted through 1000 SR that were in the low 500-800SRs.

We were steamrolling through the matches even trolling the incompetince of higher SR teams and then at one point Blizzard matched us (1054 SR team) with a 1350 SR team.

It was very close but we lost, then we played another one and lost, so called it a night. Great fun and a lot of laughs with multiple ults causing team kills.

Associate
Placed 2603. Happy with that considering I accidentally quit my first placement game, was 2628 at the end of season 2. One of our other guys who was 2800 placed 3010.

Guess they either altered the way placements worked in the last week or the reports of "everyone" dropping a few hundred from S2 is not that accurate.

Back
Top Bottom