Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
Good on you, maybe we should do a OcUK collection drive for a food bank? Inspires me to go and do the same next time I am in the shops. :)

I just felt like being generous. I've had it pretty easy in my life. Grew up in a warm, safe, clean house. Always plenty to eat. If the stuff I donate helps some struggling families over the Christmas period, then its money well spent.

Hope you'll post a pic if you decide to do the same :)

Soldato
15390792_10154643736260731_9052805711673140966_n_zpskpv2ng7x.jpg

Caporegime
34of24x.jpg

My work's doing a collection drive for a local foodbank. Helps people in poverty by proving food parcels. A lot of the time its people that are working too. Must suck hard to be in full time employment and still being in a position where you have to choose between heating your house or eating.

Anyway, I may have gone a little overboard. Only intended to buy a few tins of stuff. Maybe £10 of stuff at most. But I kept finding stuff on special offer and chucking it into the trolly. Didn't even buy anything for myself. Was a hell of a sweat lugging that lot back to the house.

Ah well. Tis the season, right?

You made me smile. Fair play to you mate, well done :)

I'll do the same.

Soldato
Sorry to be cynical about it but.....donating canned food to a foodbank is kinda the worst thing to donate....

Someone has to pay to ship all that to different warehouses (lots of money)
Someone has to sort the cans from expired and indate (more money)
High sodium etc
Most the cans people donate are the stuff you wouldn't eat yourself, why do you think the poor would eat it?

The selection you have is pretty good though so +1, not much of an issue but your quality of contribution is probably way above what most others give.

Best way is to donate money as they can buy on a wholesale level and work with farmers and get much more food that you could buy for that money yourself.

Happy christmas! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Always one who see's the truth, yes.
Not saying its bad giving, but donating food isn't the way to do it.

Yes it is, I donate food every week at my local supermarket, they double the donation and distribute to local homeless charities, the charities pick it up and deliver and the staff are volunteers.

Soldato
lol, MatsyLR makes a genuine point and gets shot down because you all seem to be wrapped up in Christmas kitsch. How dare you rain on my philanthropic parade, I bring joy to Christmas etc.

FYI I think self-promoting acts of giving is crass.

Soldato
you take food to food bank they dish the food to the people that need it. no need to involve warehouses. also have you seen the use by dates in tins? its in the years.

Soldato
Yes it is, I donate food every week at my local supermarket, they double the donation and distribute to local homeless charities, the charities pick it up and deliver and the staff are volunteers.

So what?
They can get an a ton more food for the homeless with money than your donations, even with the supermarkets doubling.
Again not saying its a bad thing, just money gets more.

Soldato
lol, MatsyLR makes a genuine point and gets shot down because you all seem to be wrapped up in Christmas kitsch. How dare you rain on my philanthropic parade, I bring joy to Christmas etc.

FYI I think self-promoting acts of giving is crass.

While I agree with the self promoting thingy, Id rather see that than wallies ney saying good deeds

Permabanned
So what?
They can get an a ton more food for the homeless with money than your donations, even with the supermarkets doubling.
Again not saying its a bad thing, just money gets more.

No-one is taking 2/3 of a can of beans before it gets to the homeless person. Money on the other hand...

Soldato
34of24x.jpg

My work's doing a collection drive for a local foodbank. Helps people in poverty by proving food parcels. A lot of the time its people that are working too. Must suck hard to be in full time employment and still being in a position where you have to choose between heating your house or eating.

Anyway, I may have gone a little overboard. Only intended to buy a few tins of stuff. Maybe £10 of stuff at most. But I kept finding stuff on special offer and chucking it into the trolly. Didn't even buy anything for myself. Was a hell of a sweat lugging that lot back to the house.

That so good of you....:):):)

Last edited:
Soldato
Good on you Craig1981. You were asked to provide food for a charity and that's what you've done. Rather than question the methods of what the charity are doing/asking.

I did the same when my work did a food drive, ended up with two bags of stuff!

Man of Honour
Sorry to be cynical about it but.....donating canned food to a foodbank is kinda the worst thing to donate....

Someone has to pay to ship all that to different warehouses (lots of money)
Someone has to sort the cans from expired and indate (more money)
High sodium etc
Most the cans people donate are the stuff you wouldn't eat yourself, why do you think the poor would eat it?

The selection you have is pretty good though so +1, not much of an issue but your quality of contribution is probably way above what most others give.

Best way is to donate money as they can buy on a wholesale level and work with farmers and get much more food that you could buy for that money yourself.

Happy christmas! :rolleyes:

He did something, it's better than nothing and if you look at the overheads of most major charities you will see this is actually perhaps more cost effective. The amount of donated cash that is used for the purpose at hand is often very small. So many people have a million excuses of why charity is not worth it, some people just get on with it and do what they think is best and to me they usually should be congratulated for it.

Caporegime
34of24x.jpg

Disgraceful of you, subjecting these poor people to tinned ham and macaroni cheese. Haven't they got enough problems :mad:

Just joking, well done you. I always put a few tins in my local Tesco's food bank bin, and a couple in the animal rescue one.

Back
Top Bottom