Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Thanks mate, Wont look like that much longer as I'm putting the car back to standard end of this week. Have taken a deposit on the super charger and a few other bits.

Bought myself a Mugen 200 which I'll be turbo'ing next month. Owned two super charged FN2's now, had an itch so time for a new project :D

Very nice, you'll have to post pics. I'm in the process of selling my EP3 right now, got my eye on another Honda toy which I'll post up if I get my hands on it :D

Soldato
I managed to blow up my ep3 sadly. Enjoying some rather spirited b road driving when the engine developed a rattle. I took it to a local mechanic who said it doesn't sound too bad, so I topped up the oil and that was that. Two days later the oil pressure light came on and the engine started sounding like it was eating itself. I assume it lost compression because it lost about 90% power and then died.

It is now totally seized. I'm in a deisel masda now and and it hurts, sorely tempted to try and do an engine swap but I imagine it would be about 1600 including fitting, which isn't far off what I paid for it.

Gutted.

Soldato
I managed to blow up my ep3 sadly. Enjoying some rather spirited b road driving when the engine developed a rattle. I took it to a local mechanic who said it doesn't sound too bad, so I topped up the oil and that was that. Two days later the oil pressure light came on and the engine started sounding like it was eating itself. I assume it lost compression because it lost about 90% power and then died.

It is now totally seized. I'm in a deisel masda now and and it hurts, sorely tempted to try and do an engine swap but I imagine it would be about 1600 including fitting, which isn't far off what I paid for it.

Gutted.

Timing chain failed? Or was it generally low on oil? Guess I'm not the only one who's killed a Honda lol

Associate
Going to view a 2006 1.8 civic on Monday. Anything to especially look out for? Does it have a cambelt? What's the intervals for changing it if so?

Soldato
Rust more than anything really

Between the windscreen and roof
At the b pillar cover (under it)
Inside the door at the seams between top and bottom panels

Mechanically they're pretty good, should be quiet when running no nasty chain rattle at startup. Check the carpets aren't wet they can be bad for the scuttle getting clogged but there really isn't much to worry about if it's been looked after

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Wife got a lift in a friends MX5 the other day, said it made her miss our old S2000 and that I should get another. Who am I to argue...

Soldato
Timing chain failed? Or was it generally low on oil? Guess I'm not the only one who's killed a Honda lol

I think the oil pump went as when i checked the oil level after the breakdown it was empty even though it had been properly topped up a couple of days prior.

I thought these motors were supposed to be nigh on unbreakable!

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Going to view a 2006 1.8 civic on Monday. Anything to especially look out for? Does it have a cambelt? What's the intervals for changing it if so?

Rodenal has covered most of it. It's also chain driven.

Picked one up myself a motnh ago, it's not as dull as I thought it would be either which is great! :D

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My 2007 1.8 Type-S GT is on almost 127k now. Not a single thing has gone wrong that wasn't my fault and believe me, it has a much tougher life that it ever should have so far.

Corrosion is the main thing as has been mentioned. No sign of that in mine but it does have the panoramic roof thing so don't think the windscreen area rust affects me.

Soldato
Selling my EP3 after more meither over Xmas - the steering wheel has started twitching left randomly, seem to have narrowed it down to occuring after driving in a straight line for a while and coming on and off the throttle/at every gear change. Doesn't do it when coasting. Had all suspension components checked and can't spot anything. I feel it is nearside driveshaft failing as you do hear a click from said area when the twitching occurs. I'd done a lot of miles on the day it started doing this. I left it parked up for a couple of days and used it again and it was fine. None the less, bit off putting, it's not vicious but it's not normal. It's become more of a chore than a fun cheap car and I'm wasting money now (set to lose 2K in 4 months). So, a year of boring motoring I feel, get settled in the pad and get that how we want it then have something nice again start of 2018*

*likely to change my mind tomorrow :D

Associate
So I picked up my new car yesterday:D. It needs bits and pieces doing to it but overall I'm quite happy with it.
l4nWyjJ.png

I did assume since it had aux written on the stereo that it would have somewhere to plug in my phone, but it doesn't :(. It does have this thing however and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how I connect my phone to this?
hChUPhv.png

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Looks like some sort of satnav holder to me. Not much help though; I've just used Brodit stuff for years and transferred to new car each time.

Back
Top Bottom