How to wire a doorbell with no existing installation?

Soldato
Google is useless.

I always thought it was strange since we moved in that there was no doorbell but we've made do with wireless units so far. After missing a delivery because it wasn't loud enough and countless others because of dead batteries, I want to install a wired mechanical bell that keeps chiming while the button is held down.

How do I go about this and is it a good idea? Or should I just pay someone.

Man of Honour
Get one that plugs into the mains.
I bought a couple from Aldi about a month ago and they seem to work well.
We've put one unit downstairs and one upstairs and they are all on the same frequency.

Just remember that if you buy a wired one you will still need batteries at the bell end so you still need to test it once a week.

Soldato
OP
I don't want any batteries. From googling it seems the bell should be wired into the mains via a transformer so I don't get why you say that.

Soldato
Yes, you can get mains-powered (via transformer) bells. you need to fit the receiver somewhere near a power source inside the house and run a 2-core wire to the button outside your door. It's very simple to do.

You might have more problems finding one which rings constantly as the button is held down. I'm sure they do exist though.

Soldato
I just googled "12v bell ringer" and it came back that you can get bell/transformer/ bell push all on the Bay - You could also use a indoor alarm siren and 12v transformer :D

Soldato
Apparently you can get solar powered transmitters, with the reciever/ringer inside plugged into a mains socket. There is one on Amazon but seems to have mixed reviews, worth looking into the idea though I guess. I gave up on battery powered transmitters for the same reason as OP, currently doing without a bell.

Associate
I've had a kinetic "self powered" doorbell since August and it works well.
One bell push and two chime receivers which plug in to the mains for around £20.

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
I'm trying to find two transmitters and two receivers.
One for upstairs, one for downstairs, one for the front door and one for the back door like I have now.
The thing is I don't trust the £5 Aldi ones I have to last that long.

Soldato
OP
I'm trying to find two transmitters and two receivers.
One for upstairs, one for downstairs, one for the front door and one for the back door like I have now.
The thing is I don't trust the £5 Aldi ones I have to last that long.

The one I bought says you can re-pair them yourself. So you could buy two kits and re-pair the second transmitter to the first set of receivers?

Also the articulated portion of the button is light yet feels solidly built, nice strong click to it, customer reviews seem to agree. I think it will last me a good while.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was worried that people might somehow mess up operating the button... so lil update with some real-world field data: multiple successful deliveries since installation! Working well so far. :D

My last button required too much force, so many confused deliverymen thinking they rang when in fact they were just grazing it and standing there unawares. :D This one makes an actual satisfying tactile click that you feel as well as hear. Wow never thought I'd spend this much thought over a doorbell. Anyway seems to be worth a punt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom