• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
and your bias is slapping you in the face with all your posts about not believing the live demo from AMD....

Is the same bias I used to say that it's very likely the cinebench results which were touted from wcftech were fake?
It's objectivity.

And that wasn't quite what I was saying.
I said I didn't put any stock in the results. Not that they were fake.

Soldato
Haswell refresh isn't Haswell though is it? It was enough of a respin that it got it's own name whether you acknowledge it as Devil's Canyon or not.

Broadwell can still be sourced if you are desperate for it.

Skylake has been out for over 18 months (aug 2015 release?), so the fact you can still buy any 1150 chips is surely unexpected good news for owners of the platform.
It was just overclocked Haswell. The only difference with Kaby Lake is that this time they've been bold enough to give it a new name and pretend it's a new architecture. :p

Soldato
Didn't Haswell have that TSX bug that caused it to be disabled for gen1 and was fixed (and thus enabled) in the refresh, effectively making Devil's a new line?

I think they also may have turned off other virtualization-related stuffs for 4770K but re-enabled them later in DC.

Caporegime
Devil's Canyon was the same die as Haswell afaik, just pre-overclocked parts. They also claimed to have used better paste but that was clearly BS.

Last edited:
Don
Devil's Canyon was the same die as Haswell afaik, just pre-overclocked parts.

Having done a bit of googling then yes it was the same dies, but cherry picked. However it did have slightly different TIM and revised power regulation components on the package.

Either way Broadwell was still another line on 1150 and can still be obtained if you are desperate enough.

Nevertheless thread is now far off topic... Need some more Zen news to know whether the hype train is still on the tracks or not :)

Soldato
Intel the king of the CPU, AMD the king of the GPU but next year AMD will crush Intel on three's - CPU, GPU and price

Put the bong down :p

Expect price/perf to be about right, Intel unchallenged in all out performance but looking expensive for minimal gain for i7 and up with i5s looking expensive and underwhelming.

The real interesting thing is where 4c 8t Ryzen slots in price wise. That could cause some movement in Intel product pricing/positioning

Soldato
Soldato
A lot of the APU stuff had this.
There's so much ignorance towards AMD with sockets.
Am3 was a sham, had no exclusive CPU, then AM3+ just turned up, no CPU's specifically for it. When they did come they were crap and you were stuck.
Then it's been left to rot since 2012.

Also, 1150 was Broadwell wasn't it? So it had 2 lines.

Also, woe is me being stuck on Haswell, I've enjoyed stellar performance for 3 years!

Its more the case AMD CPUs seem to be better at spanning multiple sockets than their sockets actually lasting a decent amout of time.

Examples being AM3 CPUs working in AM2+,AM3 and AM3+ motherboards.

FM2 CPUs working in FM2 and FM2+ motherboards too.

Its kind of useful,since if you have a competent Intel CPU which is older and the motherboard goes it can be hard to find a reasonable replacement.

However,it seems a bit easier with AMD(not always as we had sockets like FM1 which were short lived as well).

Soldato
For past decade Intel have been all about the $$$, making more and more of it any way they can, so minor CPU jumps, socket changes on motherboards etc anything to leverage more money out of consumers.

Back
Top Bottom