*** Rogue One: A Star Wars Story *** (NOW WITH SPOILERS)

Soldato
Ah ok, thanks for explaining.

Tried watching the show, the animation is so poor that I can't get immersed into it at all :(

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either but annoyingly it's a licence for Disney to **** about with the continuity outside of the movies and it's still canon.:(

Darth Maul is still alive at this stage too!:eek:

EDIT: Interestingly, Saw Gerrera will appear in Rebels soon (voiced by Forest Whitaker).

Last edited:
Soldato
I think people are conflating issues with the Tarkin scenes, with technical issues of CGI.
Some of the work on CGI Tarkin is technically pretty good, the problem's I have is Tarkin as a Character shouldn't be arguing with some lowly Krenic.

i disagree, for me its the technical side.
It didn't look real and was distracting as soon as it appeared on the screen, completely took me out of the film.

Mav

Mav

Associate
Just seen R1 ..

I really missed the 20th Century fanfare intro .. With the Star Wars theme right after it ..

No star wars logo with Rogue one on it ..

And where was the intro crawl ?..

That aside it took a while to sink in it was a star wars movie I was watching ..

Also where was the big gun action from the two star destroyers in orbit ?

When the rebel fleet turned up I thought great some big ship action , but it was all fighter base fights ...

Other wise I did Realy love the film ... Thought all the Easter eggs and nods was very nice touches ...

Soldato
i disagree, for me its the technical side.
It didn't look real and was distracting as soon as it appeared on the screen, completely took me out of the film.

If you think the scenes (as they were) even with Cushing would have been good, we indeed differ.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went in with pretty low expectations and I thought it was brilliant. It tied up all the random bits and makes New Hope make more sense. The darker tones worked perfectly and the Vader scene at the end was really powerful.

I thought the Tarkin CGI was very good and lifelike, found the Leia one was a little less life like.

I went in knowing nothing and I kept hoping/wanting to see Ashoka pop up :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Went last night with the wife, 9yr old and 8yr old - we all think it's the best star wars movie.

Soldato
Just seen R1 ..

I really missed the 20th Century fanfare intro .. With the Star Wars theme right after it ..

No star wars logo with Rogue one on it ..

And where was the intro crawl ?..

That aside it took a while to sink in it was a star wars movie I was watching ..

Also where was the big gun action from the two star destroyers in orbit ?

When the rebel fleet turned up I thought great some big ship action , but it was all fighter base fights ...

Other wise I did Realy love the film ... Thought all the Easter eggs and nods was very nice touches ...

Pretty much my observations too. Seen it twice now because the first viewing at imax didn't really wow me. They wasted Forest Whitaker's talents in the film and it would have been nice to learn more about him.

I was expecting an epic mass effect 3 mass fleet battle in the end given the amount of ships amassed. Nope. The most interesting bits came from seeing the. Death Stars carnage from a different angle - and I thought that was well done.

It was a very good film but miles away from coming close to the others.

Associate
I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed with The Force Awakens and came away from TFA feeling "Well it was better than the prequels" but I came away from Rogue One actually having genuinely enjoyed it.

It's definitely up there with the Original Trilogy and definitely the best Star Wars film since 1983. It's what I wanted from the prequels, darker, slower paced, unique characters.

There was an actor at the beginning who luckily gets shot by Cassian after a few lines, (the guy who tells him about the pilot) who's acting ability can generously be described as abysmal and i thought "oh dear, here we go...", honestly I have no idea how anyone saw that scene and thought it was a good idea to leave it in the movie. Luckily I was unfounded in my suspicion that this had set the tone for the rest of the movie.

I was not a huge fan of The Force Awakens, I actually think it's worse than the prequels on many counts but rogue one is a hundred times better than both the prequels and the force awakens. I love that the rebels are shown with more in-fighting and less organisation, I like that they blur the moral lines and it's not just "good guys vs bad guys" in places. The pace of the film seemed more like ESB and ANH which are slow in places, I think it adds some contrast to the fast-paced fight sequences. The sense of scale of the movie is incredible, the ships, cities and death star actually feel huge. I liked Tarkin but I think they could have easily cut down the number of scenes he was in and not having lost anything.

There were a few things I didn't like:

The plot makes no sense, (i only saw it once so i may have missed something that clears this up but) a couple of minor dialogue changes could fix it: Why did the rebels suddenly decide to help rogue one after they had initially decided not to? Why didn't cassian kill galen? Why do ships need to fly onto the imperial planet through that shield? Just land on the other side and fly through the atmosphere???

The robot comic relief. Although better than C3POs "this is such a drag" type puns in Attack of the clones, really added nothing to the movie and I found him annoying.

Fan service. There are times when it just screams "Hey do you remember this from the original movie??" They bring Bail Organa on screen like he's some major character we should be cheering to see, he's always been an incredibly boring minor character and he doesn't add anything in this movie. That said, I did enjoy the way they used footage of the pilots from ANH

Boring ships. None of the new ships are particularly interesting, I'd have liked to see something cool looking like the falcon (although a different ship). I half expected the imperial shuttle they stole and took back to the rebels to be shuttle tydirium, I'm not sure whether this would have been a good thing or not though but it would tie in to RotJ and "it's an older code"

Vader's helmet. Seriously what is with his fat neck?

An asian guy who of course knows martial arts? Are they trying to make it seem like the movie was filmed in 1977?

Overall though, it was the best Star Wars film we've had since RotJ and I'd love them to make more movies like this than movies like TFA which just copied ANH.

Soldato
There were a few things I didn't like:

The plot makes no sense, (i only saw it once so i may have missed something that clears this up but) a couple of minor dialogue changes could fix it: Why did the rebels suddenly decide to help rogue one after they had initially decided not to? Why didn't cassian kill galen? Why do ships need to fly onto the imperial planet through that shield? Just land on the other side and fly through the atmosphere???

Boring ships. None of the new ships are particularly interesting, I'd have liked to see something cool looking like the falcon (although a different ship). I half expected the imperial shuttle they stole and took back to the rebels to be shuttle tydirium, I'm not sure whether this would have been a good thing or not though but it would tie in to RotJ and "it's an older code"

I understood the shield enveloped the whole planet so they couldnt fly round the other side. Also did you spot a corellian freighter at the Rebel base ? It dont think it was meant to be the Falcon but I remember in the leaked shots they built a near full size one then you only see part of the cockpit external in the actual film! However I agree I thought the ships were different but just a bit weird.

Went to see it last night and I was a bit disappointed. The crawl and fanfare at the beginning was odd. They shouldnt have used "in a galaxy far far away" either. Definitely felt like something missing.

Also thought the first 2/3's was just slow and boring. Needed a bit more action. Last part was epic including the battle. Liked that Red and Gold leader featured with the same actors from New Hope. (obviously yes as the characters were still alive) It was very clever editing/creation. Noticed the other nods and easter eggs to the other films including the alien who doesnt like behind pushed (In New Hope at the cantina at the bar that starts the little brawl)

It was a good film but just not has good as I was expecting. Loved the last bit where it led straight into New Hope. Thought Tarkin was fairly good CGI not bad. Could have done with him being a bit sharper, colder in the early scenes. Leia was okay but looked like she eating walnuts like a squirrel. Bit too fat in the face.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found the characters a bit bland, nothing about them really stood out and they were a bit to...average. The story was a bit all over the place for the first half as well. But not bad overall.

Apparently a lot of scenes were cut from the movie or re-done entirely before the final version. Which might explain why Vader's costume looked a little off on that scene :p

Last edited:
Commissario
I saw it this afternoon, second half was really good, loved the battle scenes and Vader, wasn't too worried about Moff although he was clearly CGI.

I fell asleep during the first half of the film. In my defense, I only got two hours kip last night and it was really warm in there. I wasn't sound asleep, I just nodded a handful of times and then my eyes jerked open, and I realised I'd missed some.

Saw 2D because I really detest 3D. I really want to see it in iMax though so if I do that, then I'll be forced to watch in 3D. Perhaps if I do go again, I'll go 4dx just to see what it's like.

Felicity > Daisy btw.

Associate
I wonder where Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka were during all this.:)

The Ghost is on Yavin IV and part of the Rebel Fleet that jumps to Scarif. Also Chopper is seen on Yavin and there is a tannoy announcement for a General Syndulla which iirc has been confirmed in canon by TPTB as Hera.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think it's my favourite star wars film.
Absolutely best since the originals.

Loved how old/classic it felt.

Wasn't majorly keen on any of the rebel cast, probably my only criticism (loved k2 though)

Were all the ship battles models? If not they looked very retro

Soldato

This most definitely

Not better then Empire, but up there with Jedi at the very least, probably just edging Jedi

Seeing as Jedi is better than Empire this is impossible :)

It was well advertised that there wouldnt be a crawl, and due to the time line I think it makes sense (with how this fits in with the other movies) - however I actually liked seeing "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away".

(Music was terrible though and found it very distracting...bringing me "out" of the atmosphere of the film on several occasions)

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched this last night. Loved it. The whole battle scenes at the end were brilliant. It instantly took me back to episode 4 with the space battle going on, and then cutting to the scenes inside with similar lighting/colours and quietness. Loved that, really took me back.

All ruined this morning when I see a GIF on the forums with the death star blowing up, and I thought it was from episode 4, when actually it was episode 6... Phew... saved!

Back
Top Bottom