The Grand Tour

Caporegime
They have completely removed any form of sensible comments on cars, sadly, it's now just a smarmy comment after another. Meh.

At the same time those smarmy comments and retorts are basically covering the positives and negatives of the vehicles.

They aren't straight up, but there is a lot of information in the exchanges.

Soldato
One of the things I've noticed is that rather than having their own distinct characters they almost take it in turns to play the "Clarkson" role. Whether it's Hammond being annoying with the muscle car in Italy or May acting like a clueless oaf whilst knocking down clarksons house. It's like the whole thing is just one big self-parody.

Soldato
Watched the latest and sort of switched off whilst watching it, never even realised that I had done this until the end credits came up and I thought I don't remember a lot. Do remember the car battleships, what was the point of it I thought at the end and it went on for way too long.

Man of Honour
So... how are you watching it then if you don't have Prime?

Living just up the road from Zenos it was nice to see the car get some publicity. Good to see that the MX5 still seems to tick the right boxes for a drivers car. I'll admit to playing a bit of fantasy car specification this afternoon and as much as I love the idea of a GT86 I'd still much rather go for the MX5. The spare £8k would be a nice bonus too!

As for the idea that it is now a bit more plush... I'm all for it and that is coming from someone who only uses theirs as a weekend toy. There is still the basic SE version if you don't want the extras. My only wish is that you can opt not to have the TFT media thingy. I have zero interest in that sort of thing in a car and it looks like an afterthought. Unfortunately so does the radio that sits in its place in the SE!

I'm enjoying the series so far. It isn't "amazing" but it is entertaining for the most part. Just need a couple of proper cheap car challenges now :D

I haven't signed up to prime - I'm watching it with a friend who has an account.

Whilst I'm enjoying the series, I'm glad I haven't paid for it either. It's fun, but it's very hot and cold - but I'm sure they'll get the feedback and amend it for the next series. That said I'm glad I'm watching it.

Soldato
One of the things I've noticed is that rather than having their own distinct characters they almost take it in turns to play the "Clarkson" role. Whether it's Hammond being annoying with the muscle car in Italy or May acting like a clueless oaf whilst knocking down clarksons house. It's like the whole thing is just one big self-parody.

So basically they all act like they have for the past 15+ years :p

Soldato
The show is good when they're comparing some nice cars with some good scenery and track driving stuff thrown in, the banter is entertaining enough.

When there are no cars involved though it's just desparately cringe-worthy. It's like they're now surrounded by yes men telling them how funny they are.

Is the dead celebrity thing still going?

Soldato
Watched the first 3 episodes and then stopped. Top Gear should be beautiful cars, shot in stunning scenery and some cool insight into why they're so amazing. It feels like with all the money they've been given that they've rather lost sight of that.

Soldato
Watched the first 3 episodes and then stopped. Top Gear should be beautiful cars, shot in stunning scenery and some cool insight into why they're so amazing. It feels like with all the money they've been given that they've rather lost sight of that.

I think part of the problem is, Amazon legal people were worried if it was too much like TG, the BBC might try to sue etc

Kimbie

Associate
I think the scripting is too heavy handed and it feels overly rehearsed to the point they're an overwrought parody of their Top Gear personas.

The only genuine reaction in the studio so far has been JC cracking up as Hammond poked him with the inflatable doll as he was trying to do a link.

Bin the eboladrome. I'm sure they could find a better circuit in the states if needed, as well as another racing driver as the one they have is a massive charisma vacuum - Nascar and Indycar presumably have at least one mercurial talent between them.

Still way better than Evans Top Gear but they need to dial it back a bit and focus more on epic challenges in a similar vein to the Polar drive etc.

Soldato
I think the scripting is too heavy handed and it feels overly rehearsed to the point they're an overwrought parody of their Top Gear personas.

The only genuine reaction in the studio so far has been JC cracking up as Hammond poked him with the inflatable doll as he was trying to do a link.

Bin the eboladrome. I'm sure they could find a better circuit in the states if needed, as well as another racing driver as the one they have is a massive charisma vacuum - Nascar and Indycar presumably have at least one mercurial talent between them.

Still way better than Evans Top Gear but they need to dial it back a bit and focus more on epic challenges in a similar vein to the Polar drive etc.

I agree with you except the last paragraph, and for the driver, the guy they've got (Mike Skinner) is a retired NASCAR Champion and is, frankly, very good. He's not even from Texas - it's all a front - he's Californian.

See him in his office below:

Associate
I agree with you except the last paragraph, and for the driver, the guy they've got (Mike Skinner) is a retired NASCAR Champion and is, frankly, very good. He's not even from Texas - it's all a front - he's Californian.

See him in his office below

I'm not doubting his driving ability, it's just that he doesn't play the 'arrogant yank' role that they've handed him very well. No doubt he'd be an awesome American Stig but he doesn't come across as having the acting chops to pull off the exuberantly bombastic jingoisms they're writing for him.

Man of Honour
episode 6 is up.
The Grand Tour tent is in Kakslauttanen, Finland, deep within the Arctic Circle with a show in which Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson compare the Ford Mustang V8 and the Ford Focus RS, James May recounts the bitter 1960s battle for endurance racing supremacy between Ferrari and Ford, and the presenters run through some ideal Christmas gifts for car fans.

how many episodes are there?

Back
Top Bottom