No signal on stepdad's new pc.

Soldato
This was meant to be his xmas gift, but i'm getting no signal found and xmas is tomorrow..

Any clever elves to help?

Pentium 4
Asus P4S8X motherboard
Nvidia 8600gt ithink, it has a 4 pin molex connection, fan is spinning.
ide hdd, and ide cd rom.

Kolink core 400w psu with a molex extender so it can reach.

I only have vga on the graphics card, dvi too but the monitor is just vga, and my current monitor only has display port.

Manual says: serial port, parallel port, ieee 1394 connector.. no vga or hdmi or anything.. This monitor does work, I use it for my Win98 DOS gaming pc.

There is a blue port on the motherboard like vga, but it's male, not female..

I'm at a loss.

The guy sent the motherboard and it came with a pci bracket with a yellow connector, little "tower signal" ? and 2 usb ports with two tiny ribbon cables and hd audio/usb sized connector for the motherboard.

I don't have anyway of getting drivers onto it either, the Motherboard has a green light, cpu fan spins, hdd etc spins up.

Edit just tried my old AGP tnt2, and nothing still.. I have another monitor but it needs a hp power supply.

Last edited:
Associate
Never thought I'd see one of these again, it is 14 years old.

You can find the motherboard manual here that will help you will all the connections: https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/15/14/2/8/

There is a blue port on the motherboard like vga, but it's male, not female..

The colour is actually green and it is a serial port, only 2 rows of pins, not 3.

Since the power supply is not the original I'd check the connections, the large 20pin ATX and the CPU ATX 12V connection. Reseat all components, also check the system panel connectors. A picture of the setup might help.

Soldato
OP
20 pin and 4 pin are in fully. I have only the power connection for the front header in, and it turns on fine, lights, fans all around etc.

I've ordered another 478 board with a cpu and heatsink with onboard VGA, so that should hopefully work.

Associate
Pentium 4 is painfully obsolete. Oldest serviceable machine these days would be a quad (dual if you were really in a pinch) Core 2 based machine.

A Raspberry Pi model 3 B would have been faster and only would cost you about 30 pounds.

It's really not worth running a Pentium 4 at this point.

Back
Top Bottom