Wolfenstein: The New Order

Soldato
Hey guys, apologies if this has been mentioned 'x-dozen' number of times, but Im just about to head to work so dont have the time atm to run through it.

I'm having such ridiculous issues in getting this game to run, initially it would crash in the first cutscene, then I managed to play through till the end of the tutorial before it crashed. After that I could play through the whole mental hospital scene, but then it crashed. Now its crashing cosntantly on load up.

I have tried, over the course of the innumerous crashes, every fix mentioned on the internet - from changing compatibility settings, to running as admin, to loading latest drivers, to loading Catalyst 14.4 drivers (which supposedly definitely work) and I have had no luck.

Any ideas at all? When it doesnt crash on start-up it generally plays for between 30 and 45 mins before crashing - most of these crashes seem to be triggered by cutscenes.

Associate
I ran this on my R9 290 with Omega (14.12) 12/9/2014, Display Driver ver. 14.501.1003 on Win 8.1 x64 without issues.
If you do not have this version, why not download it and then run driver cleaner or driver sweeper to remove you current Catalyst and then reinstall.
There is also 15.6 Beta driver, so you have some things you can try.

Soldato
Tried the beta and the current 14.12 on 14.501 :(

System specs, in case they are useful:

i5 3570K (Stock)
8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz ram
HD7870 (2GB edition)

Game is on a standard Barracuda HDD, OS is 8.1 x64.

Soldato
Think I'm a bit late with this one. I downloaded it on steam a while back but never played it. Popped it on today as an alternative to always playing cs:go and lost the last 8 hrs of my life :D

Really enjoying it. Reached up to the moon Base part. So not sure how much more is still to go before I complete it on the easiest setting :D

Soldato
Think I'm a bit late with this one. I downloaded it on steam a while back but never played it. Popped it on today as an alternative to always playing cs:go and lost the last 8 hrs of my life :D

Really enjoying it. Reached up to the moon Base part. So not sure how much more is still to go before I complete it on the easiest setting :D

It's such a good game, I read some of the reviews on here before playing it last year and was disappointed so very nearly didn't buy it, but I'm glad I did :cool:

Man of Honour
Just started playing this and I'm getting absolutely abysmal performance, probably the worst performing game I've ever played (for example DOOM runs at at least double the framerate).

i5-3570k @ 4.3ghz
RX480 8GB
12GB RAM
Installed on SSD
1920x1080 resolution

Framerate dropping into the 30s just stood looking at an environment with no combat, graphics settings seemingly making little difference. So far I have tried:

-Creating the folder so it can store cache files
-Creating a shortcut and renaming it to x32 rather than x64
-Running as Administrator
-Setting vt_PPF below the minimum allowed in the menu
-No AA applied
-Vsync off

Any ideas? Currently I think it may be a CPU bottleneck but not really sure what I can do about it as there don't seem to be any options I can set to reduce it.

Man of Honour
Just beaten this, thoughts below:

+Quite diverse environments, you've got land/sea/air/space, inside/outside etc
+Likewise a somewhat surprising variety of ways to approach situations e.g. stealth/rambo, multiple routes, puzzle sections etc. I'm not really a fan of stealth-em-ups but it strikes quite a good balance here, rewarding stealth but not making it mandatory with lame insta-fail missions etc
+Storyline is OK and at least committed to, not the best I've ever seen but considerable effort has been put into it
+Good characters. Lots of nice touches to the lore like the diaries, relationships in the hideout etc. Visiting the hideout later in the game was quite a stirring experience.
+LKW is well executed
+Perks system is good and encouraged me to vary my approaches
+Good weapons, akimbo AR/SG etc is nice and makes you feel like a killing machine

-As alluded to in my previous post the performance is ridiculous, this is by far the most demanding game I've played in over 25 years of PC gaming. It looks decent but certainly nothing special considering it is less than 3 years old, the likes of DOOM looks just as good but runs way faster. There is some annoying bottleneck that you can't avoid using the advanced graphics options as all on lowest settings makes little difference
-Checkpoint pacing a bit flawed at times, for example in the final boss fight it autosaves after the first phase (fine) but crucially does so before you have collected items. So my final checkpoint had 20h, 0a meaning I had to spend about 2mins every restart running around collecting items, a far better approach would have been to put a checkpoint on the entrance to the final arena.
-Bit of a lacklustre start to the game, just felt like a mediocre shooter
-Not all good ideas felt like they were fully explored, for example the prison level could have had a bit more content (think Riddick)

Overall this is quite a hard game to rate but what I would say is that it quite original / 'interesting'. There are games with better combat, better storyline, better graphics etc but not many that blend all the elements together into a package that offers something a bit different from standard fare. It's also quite dark (in theme, not lighting!) in places, neither good nor bad but again makes it interesting.

Back
Top Bottom