The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
OP
Great price on the steam sale, I not played the first two is it still worth picking up?

Nah it's worthless you don't wanna be exploring this world

1435432355-w3-gif.gif

1445159603-witcher-3-fields.gif

1435433124-w3-gif-2.gif

:D

Associate
I'm really tempted as well now. Great reviews everywhere.

GOG or Steam? Seems GOG is DRM free, so must be the better option or are there Steam options like the workshop that should mean I think of the Steam license?

Soldato
OP
Sold thanks guys now I own GOTY edition :D
Although I expect my i7 3770k and AMD 290 to struggle at 1440p.

290 is pretty long in the tooth, if you want 60fps I think you will have to go for 1080p and lower foliage distance and shadow quality a bit.

I'm really tempted as well now. Great reviews everywhere.

GOG or Steam? Seems GOG is DRM free, so must be the better option or are there Steam options like the workshop that should mean I think of the Steam license?

GOG is owned by CD Projekt, so if you buy there you can support the developer directly, and it is DRM-free, although they have a client you can use for more comfort (GOG Galaxy).

Mods are done by witchernexus, not workshop.

Soldato
290 is pretty long in the tooth, if you want 60fps I think you will have to go for 1080p and lower foliage distance and shadow quality a bit.

GOG is owned by CD Projekt, so if you buy there you can support the developer directly, and it is DRM-free, although they have a client you can use for more comfort (GOG Galaxy).

Mods are done by witchernexus, not workshop.

Yeah Vega can't come soon enough. I'll have a play with setting am happy to drop settings or resolution.

Soldato
Yeah Vega can't come soon enough. I'll have a play with setting am happy to drop settings or resolution.

I played the entire game on a 3570K + Original Titan at 1440p 60fps. The geforce graphics and performance guide gives good info on what to turn down/off to increase performance without a huge drop in visual quality.

The game looks amazing maxed, but still great at reduced settings and it definitely doesn't detract from the experience.

Soldato
Only minor issue i have with this game is........ I simply don't have the time any more to put in to it what it deserves.

For example it took me about 6 months to finish the base game. However now that I have switched jobs and have a LOT of work to do, I simply don't have the time to put in to my character any more.

I'm playing blood and wine and the new sings and mutations etc.... I dont have enough time to look in to it and sort it all out.

I'm just playing it as I left of from the main game. With about 25 unspent points and loads of free character slots. :o

World class game tho.

Soldato
I completed an exhaustive play through of the game and all dlc last week. My gaming life seems rather empty now. Utterly superb game. Is it worth playing? YES:)

Soldato
I played the entire game on a 3570K + Original Titan at 1440p 60fps. The geforce graphics and performance guide gives good info on what to turn down/off to increase performance without a huge drop in visual quality.

The game looks amazing maxed, but still great at reduced settings and it definitely doesn't detract from the experience.

Thanks will take a look. Does the game get more demanding the more I get into the world? At the start doing the tutorial etc I lowered shadow to High and switched off Hair effets and am sitting between 50-60fps and it feels so smooth. this at 1440p also Jaw dropping how good this game looks.

Soldato
OP
Thanks will take a look. Does the game get more demanding the more I get into the world? At the start doing the tutorial etc I lowered shadow to High and switched off Hair effets and am sitting between 50-60fps and it feels so smooth. this at 1440p also Jaw dropping how good this game looks.

If by tutorial you mean white orchard, then I would say that the forest in White Orchard where the bandit camp is, is pretty much as demanding as it gets.

Soldato

Hello if you dont mind me asking what settings did you turn down?

Soldato
OP
It was the castle area training with I think it was your daughter

Kaer Morhen, ok this is very short tutorial. The first main playable area is where you can test the performance for real.

As I said above, hardest on performance are foliage distance, shadow quality and hairworks. Lower those and you should be fine.

Soldato
Suprised how well this is running guys 1440p Only Lowered Shadow to High and Foliage Distance to High and switched off hair works am avg around 50-60fps and game is very smooth.

Last edited:
Associate
I am playing at 4k resolution and was unable to eliminate screen tearing no matter the ingame settings. I found that by enabling Triple Buffering and Adaptive vSync within the Wither 3 drive profile, it has helped an awful lot though. I still get some in cutscenes though, but nowhere near as much.

I started on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty, and was fine until I had to defeat wraiths during the Barons mission with his baby. Dropped it to normal difficulty, and it was much easier. Would prefer to play on B&BB level but the constant deaths became frustrating, and most of the time I ventured round with next to no health as it doesnt heal on meditation. Any good advise for starting out in B&BB difficulty?

Back
Top Bottom