Overwatch

Associate
Just went from 21XX to 1811......lost something like 10 games in a row.

People are complete and utter trolls at this rank; all just picking DPS with no strategy what so ever.

*Cries in corner*

Soldato
There isn't really guides in this game. Nothing like League of Legends/Dota 2 guides anyway. Best thing to to do is watch people on twitch. Usually the people with the most viewers on the OW page have the highest rank. Just copy how they play.

Soldato
I've been playing around 20xx for months and only really come across complete idiots maybe 1 in 5 games. Most of the time, if we lose, we simply aren't good enough. (Which can include not playing well as a team, but again, usually because people don't know how to play as a team rather than them being idiots intentionally)

Soldato
I've been from 2,800 to just under 2,000 and now back to around 2,600 this season but I agree as you start to get nearer 2,000 the standard of general individual play drops-off massively (not everyone of course, but enough to make it a real uphill battle at times)...

Soldato
Yeah, though it often feels the opposition team don't have the same issues...

Some guy reported me yesterday for not switching heros when he ordered me to do so, that was quite funny. :)

Anyway, got my Zenyatta Christmas skin from one of the 5 free crates yesterday, so everything is good with the world.

Associate
Very few of my buddies play OW and those that do don't want to do competitive but I wanted to give it a go but is it worth trying when running solo for matches?

It's more structured than Quickplay. In that, generally people will stick together etc. It can be incredibly frustrating though. For example. I played 3 games last night. I picked Reaper as I found it to be my current most effective pick. Then another guy went Soldier and another went Phara. Leaving us with only a Reinhardt as tanking options. The rest of the guys were asking for another tank and the other 2 wouldn't switch, so I was forced to switch. We lost that game. Then exactly the same thing happened again only we had Symmetra, Mei and soldier, but only one healer and tank. So I switched to Zenyatta and later switched up to Ana. We lost that too.

The only game I could go Reaper (I occasionally switch to soldier if we don't have one, if I need to put a Pharah in my back pocket) we absolutely dominated. Now I am not even saying it's because I was my current strongest pick. It's because the team was thinking about picking the right picks and not about "I want to be dps". If you get a team with the right mindset from the off, you stand a decent chance, even against a team of individually more skillful players. It doesn't always work that way of course. Sometimes you can have a team full of good intentions, but it may just not work, maybe the synergy isn't there or something. I don't get frustrated at that though, you win some you lose some. It just grind my gears when it feels like I am the one who has to make the sacrifice, time after time. Even if I believe my lower impact will have a bigger effect on the team than having the 2nd tank. Otherwise you run the risk of the rest of the team being ****ed off. When that happens, you are very likely to see people care less about it as they already chalked it down to a defeat.

Now I would be a right fine one to talk if I didn't have the willingness to switch up for the "good" of the team. Unfortunately it's not very often I get to go Reaper in solo queue. However when I play the the lads, they are very open about me being him, or anyone else I for that matter.

Beyond all that ranting and rambling, what you should get from this is go through the placements. Find your rank and then look for guys on here of a similar level and team up. I don't mind teaming up whether the level is higher or lower than me. (as long as it's possible with the +/-1000 rank rules)

*** I probably should specify, that when I am talking about others going dps. I mean after I already made my pick of Reaper. If I already see 2 dps chars picked. I wouldn't dream of going another dps. I am not entitled, I don't believe I should be dps as some divine right. I have played 3 times more Lucio than any other character this season. However, when I have already made my pick then 2 others decide to go the same class without any thought to the team comp, then it irritates me. It's something I am constantly dealing with, which is the biggest problem with solo queue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very few of my buddies play OW and those that do don't want to do competitive but I wanted to give it a go but is it worth trying when running solo for matches?

Well, try. What's the worse that's gonna happen. I play mostly solo, when I want something more competitive. The difference with QuickPlay is that i's more focused. And more whinny. And you'll have to fit into specific roles (for team balance). Or be asked to swap character, use comms, ect... You are free to ignore all this of course. And get back to QP if that bothers you.

Permabanned
Comp is better if you got a few people to play with as people can be very salty telling you what to pick and play and so on and a lot of rage if you lose.

The match making seems a bit broken to at times i lost about 5-7 games in a row just being paired with people that seemed to have little interest in playing as a team.

Associate
Played 7 games just now (won 5, lost 2. The 2 lost featured trolls). I am now 110 points from platinum. I have given up on being my strongest class and just gone about picking whatever is left last. (I am fairly decent all round on classes. Reinhardt probably being my weakest, but I can hold my own when push comes to shove).

Associate
Very similar, I've gone from just under 2200 to around 1900. :(

Went back to 21XX and now...all the way to my lowest of 17XX....

I can't understand it, this game is infuriating at times. People leaving, absolute trolls on comp and just no consistency. Yes, a few games we were outplayed and you tip your hat but 90% of the time someone just leaves or we have 4 DPS and no-one wants to be healer (and me as a solo Lucio won't cut it...).

Soldato
dropped so much in the last few days =( gone from 2569 down to 2373... had so many leavers, trolls and people picking Genji and not being able to play him =( (yup, 3 Genji in 3 games, each time he did nothing and it was a different person... no idea why)

Associate
Just played another 5/6 games.

Lost them all....think I'm going to buy BF1 and leave this alone. Getting a decent team feels like one in a million chance (I'm not talking about a winning team, just a team that can play together even if they lose).

Associate
It's really bad right now. Managed to get up to my new high of 2424, then as soon as it started hitting evening time. It was utterly ridiculous. Loss, Loss, Loss, Loss. Now down to 2359. It is absolutely impossible to achieve anything when thrown in the teams I have been. Had to heal for almost all of them, if I am not healing a am bloody Reinhardt, which as I mentioned earlier is my weakest character.

I had to mute so many children today. I never come across Children on the mics before (by that I don't mean older people acting like children, genuine squeaky kids being irritating little ***** over comms), but by god it was like playing Call of Duty on Xbox.

Soldato
In competitive I think it'd be good if they introduced separate 'leagues' and SR ratings for groups and solo.
Firstly so you don't get pre-formed teams when you solo queue. Also it might mean people don't get a higher SR than they deserve because friends are able to carry them (well, they could but not when they solo queue).

Associate
In competitive I think it'd be good if they introduced separate 'leagues' and SR ratings for groups and solo.
Firstly so you don't get pre-formed teams when you solo queue. Also it might mean people don't get a higher SR than they deserve because friends are able to carry them (well, they could but not when they solo queue).

It's unlikely they will ever do that though as the matchmaking will take so much longer. Especially at the higher ranks.

They have openly admitted that groups kind of mess with the dynamic of match maker and haven't come to a fool proof solution. I just do not see it happening at mind.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
It's really bad right now. Managed to get up to my new high of 2424, then as soon as it started hitting evening time. It was utterly ridiculous. Loss, Loss, Loss, Loss. Now down to 2359. It is absolutely impossible to achieve anything when thrown in the teams I have been. Had to heal for almost all of them, if I am not healing a am bloody Reinhardt, which as I mentioned earlier is my weakest character.

I had to mute so many children today. I never come across Children on the mics before (by that I don't mean older people acting like children, genuine squeaky kids being irritating little ***** over comms), but by god it was like playing Call of Duty on Xbox.

You beat me to it mate. Thought it was just me but had screaming children match after match. Lots of trolls and constant people going afk and rage quitting half way through the match. It was impossible to win games like that.

The game also said if you leave now you would be awarded a loos but not penalised. What it means Is the timeout not the points!!!! So fustrating. One match we won the half easy carrying 2 players then second half they went afk and got kicked. We ended up losing the match just with 2 down and the opposition ( yes more kids) started with the trash talk.

Last edited:
Soldato
You beat me to it mate. Thought it was just me but had screaming children match after match. Lots of trolls and constant people going afk and rage quitting half way through the match. It was impossible to win games like that.

The game also said if you leave now you would be awarded a loos but not penalised. What it means Is the timeout not the points!!!! So fustrating. One match we won the half easy carrying 2 players then second half they went afk and got kicked. We ended up losing the match just with 2 down and the opposition ( yes more kids) started with the trash talk.

What do you mean? What's frustrating about that?

Do you mean it's frustrating that people have left in general? Because the free leave when someone leaves is fine for me, I don't like being stuck in a 4v6 or whatever. I'd rather leave.

Back
Top Bottom