Will there be a Steam Xmas sale?

Soldato
Bought watch dogs 2, only to discover that it runs terribly on my system and looks mediocre at best. I'll probably refund.

Associate
The only game I bought wasn't even in the sale this year.

Disney infinity 3.0 as some one had gifted me 2.0.

I hate to say this. But steam, sales aren't what they used to be for myself.

Soldato
I've had £25 in my Steam account for the past 3 weeks as I got a refund on Deus-Ex coz it ran like ****.

Even during this current sale season I can't find anything to spend it on. Maybe I'll pick up Dishonored 2 if it's fixed (which reminds me, I'll need to have a read through that thread).

Soldato
not as much hype for the sales anymore, this time a few years back this forum would have been about 20 pages long, now its only 6 :S

Soldato
They have us now, digital distribution is king, retail is dead.

Why bother discounting at all?

It is embarrassing that grey market key sellers are still cheaper than a legit "big" sale.

Permabanned
They have us now, digital distribution is king, retail is dead.

Why bother discounting at all?

It is embarrassing that grey market key sellers are still cheaper than a legit "big" sale.

Yup, which shows just how much they stack their prices. TBH I have not even looked at the Steam sales this time round, not logged into steam for well 3 weeks now I guess.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've had £25 in my Steam account for the past 3 weeks as I got a refund on Deus-Ex coz it ran like ****.

Even during this current sale season I can't find anything to spend it on. Maybe I'll pick up Dishonored 2 if it's fixed (which reminds me, I'll need to have a read through that thread).

Did you try playing with the settings or just expected it to work everything on ultra? I have it working fine around 40fps at 4k with a 1070 and everything except for a couple settings are all ultra, so at 1440p it should be easy to get 60fps. There is one setting if turned off nearly doubles my fps, it has to do with shadows I think. Not like turning it off makes a big difference to IQ so I gladly turned it off :D

Recently the same happened with the resident evil 7 demo, some complain it runs like **** and refuse to play about with settings, when turning one setting down can have a drastic difference. In this case as I recall I doubled fps just going from hbao+ to ssao. Visual difference, negligible.

Soldato
Did you try playing with the settings or just expected it to work everything on ultra? I have it working fine around 40fps at 4k with a 1070 and everything except for a couple settings are all ultra, so at 1440p it should be easy to get 60fps. There is one setting if turned off nearly doubles my fps, it has to do with shadows I think. Not like turning it off makes a big difference to IQ so I gladly turned it off :D

Recently the same happened with the resident evil 7 demo, some complain it runs like **** and refuse to play about with settings, when turning one setting down can have a drastic difference. In this case as I recall I doubled fps just going from hbao+ to ssao. Visual difference, negligible.

Yes, because the developers put out a game that has individual settings which cripple performance by 50%... But I'm the idiot for not experimenting with all the sliders to find that magic setting. :rolleyes:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes, because the developers put out a game that has individual settings which cripple performance by 50%... But I'm the idiot for not experimenting with all the sliders to find that magic setting. :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean to be honest. You suggesting they should not be giving us the option for higher settings because some will not be able to use them responsibly? The settings are there and turning down a setting or two can have a big impact on fps. Suit yourself I suppose :)

Soldato
So i got;
Squad, not played much yet it keeps crashing out so may get refunded. "failed to write to memory" which is a strange error.
Superhot, fun game but can get very annoying.
Clustertruck, Same as above
Doom, runs well, looks good and is a fun pick up and blast game, wouldn't have paid full price for it but happy with what i got.
Helldivers, done the training a friend bugged me into this one cause he wants to do COOP. looks ok so far.
Running with Rifles, as above same friend wants a coop partner plays like complicated cannon fodder could be ok, it was cheap enough.
Satellite Rain, Synicate type iso game, looks great so far has COOP as well so could be a laugh.

Still thinking of H1Z1 but i dont know why, have a friend who is a diehard Warhammer 40k fan pushing eternal crusade and deathwing but i think i'll give them a miss.

Discounts arent too special these days and a good 80% of steam is shovelware or really old games by the look of the q they keep making me look at for cards.

Soldato
Bought myself:

Murdered: Soul Suspect
Manual Samuel
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Bejewled 3 (shut it :p)
Shadow of Mordor

Got gifts of:

Call of Juarez Gunslingers
Wolfenstein The First New Order

Sent as gifts:

Half Life
Half Life 2
Episode 1
Episode 2
Portal
Portal 2

Hitman + Season Pass

Phew! :D

Soldato
Unfortunately, the Steam sale has lost its lustre. The offers don't appear to be particularly good this year, nor were they last year. It just seems to be on for the sake of being on.

That said, I am looking for a new RTS and maybe an RPG game to play. I have been looking at Company of Heroes 2. I loved the first game, but after Dawn of War 2 was released and had no base building whatsoever, I am worried about what they did with CoH 2 in that regard. Is it still a similar formula to the original? Unfortunately I don't really have a lot of time to sit down and look into it (I'm a busy Dad!), hence I thought it a wise option to post up here and ask those that have played it.

I am not expecting it to be like C&C base building, I just want something where you establish a home base, put up defenses, and then head out to attack the enemy. Is that how it plays out in CoH 2?

As for the RPG, I have also been looking at Pillars of Eternity. I understand it's only single-player, but it seems to get really good reviews. I want the usual class mix of sword-and-board tank, maybe a rogue or assassin-type character, and some casters. Does Pillars of Eternity fit the bill, or is there something else that's similarly suited?

Many thanks all! I hope you all had an amazing Christmas with your families :)

Back
Top Bottom