Is there a best console for coop?

Associate
As title asks, is there a "better" console between Xbox or PS for local fun coop games at all? My partner think it'll be fun to pick up and play some funny games for the hour or so we get spare a night etc lol.

Associate
OP
it depends on the type of games you to play

http://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

you can choose the console based the games you like to play

and wii u isn't that good if you look at it's line up compared to the other two

Cheers for the link.

Tbh I've not touched a console in years, but we're just looking for fun, silly games we can play together or against each other. Games like overcooked for example.

Associate
As above Nintendo switch looks to be the best bet, I'm really missing the LAN options from these current Gen of consoles meaning you need the internet to play. Currently have a PS3 and a PC gaming rig both which have loads of LAN and same room playing options.

Prefer inviting friends round and playing in the same room. We were playing 4 player bomberman yesterday haven't laughed so much in ages!

Definitely sticking with PC gaming and Nintendo switch next year.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As above Nintendo switch looks to be the best bet, I'm really missing the LAN options from these current Gen of consoles meaning you need the internet to play. Currently have a PS3 and a PC gaming rig both which have loads of LAN and same room playing options.

Prefer inviting friends round and playing in the same room. We were playing 4 player bomberman yesterday haven't laughed so much in ages!

Definitely sticking with PC gaming and Nintendo switch next year.

Would you say a ps3 is still worth it for couch coop? I do have one somewhere in the house lol.

Associate
WiiU. Or wait for the Switch.

I own a PS4 and none of my games have any sort of coop, the closest is local multiplayer Mortal Kombat XL which I ordered on Christmas weekend. I've had a look around and there's pretty much nothing in terms of co-op. There are a handful of exceptions like the amazing 2D indie game called Mercenary Kings. I think that one might go up to 4 player? I know the PC version does (which is odd, since PC never get's local multiplayer/splitscreen).

Xbox One is even more atrocious (if only for the fact that previously couch multiplayer games are ditching it), albeit better than the PS4. The Halo remaster should have splitscreen if I remember correctly, even though Halo 5 has completely scrapped it and has no local multiplayer whatsoever. Gears of War 4 also has co-op campaign, and possibly horde too? Not sure on the latter one, since the PC version only has co-op campaign. Otherwise, it does have Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, most of those games have co-op. Our Xbox 360 was the multiplayer platform of choice till the WiiU finally got a few games.

Even on Nintendo, local multiplayer is dying off. Star Fox Zero had none and the same of Mario Maker (which was my biggest complaint with that game and the reason why I refuse to buy it). Hopefully the Switch revives that.

Associate
Would you say a ps3 is still worth it for couch coop? I do have one somewhere in the house lol.

Yes! We were playing Bomberman on the PS3 bought it for a few pounds online.

Use that website ThestigGT999 kindly linked above:

http://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

PC has some great couch and split screen co-op as well on Steam. We were playing a Sonic Racing game a bit like Mario Kart. Was about £6 off steam.

PS3 has loads of couch and split screen Co-Op and the games are dirt cheap especially second hand.

You'll see PS4 and XBone have fallen behind in this regard but there are a few games available. Nintendo Switch I have high hopes for - looks to be designed around Couch and Family fun same room gaming.

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks for the responses so far folks.

Would appear my options then are :-

Wait for Nintendo switch.
Dig out my old PS3, buy 2nd controller and use this for now.
Build a SFF gaming machine for under my TV (most expensive option though)

I did try stream streaming today, but appears over WiFi not very good haha.

Back
Top Bottom