• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Major problems R9 290x and a 4k samsung TV

Associate
I am trying to run a radeon R9 290X on a Samsung 6 series 4k TV. I am running the latest crimson drivers and windows 10 64bit. When the resolution is set to 4k resolution the edges of the desktop are out of view on the TV screen. Furthermore, the AMD crimson drivers don't have any "Scaling options" anymore which they used to have on the AMD catalyst drivers.

I used to be able to use this feature to simply scale the display size down a little to fix the issue. Also windows 10 is only detecting the Samsung 6 series 4k TV as a "Generic Pnp Monitor" I kid you not!

Does anybody have any solutions to this because I am stuck with a 4k TV and I can only run windows 10 at 1920x1080 because if I run at 4k resolution the some of the display is missing and I can't scale it in the crimson software.

Soldato
If it's like the sammy my daughter has the TV will have a feature that fits the incoming signal to the screen. Forgot what you call it.

Associate
It's under/overscan

Im pretty sure it in the crimson drivers (dunno about latest relive set). Temporarily had to use hdmi and recall having to change it back to normal. It was a few months back though. Im away from the desktop to check.

Associate
OP
It's under/overscan

Im pretty sure it in the crimson drivers (dunno about latest relive set). Temporarily had to use hdmi and recall having to change it back to normal. It was a few months back though. Im away from the desktop to check.

Thanks for your answer. I have just read online that if the resolution in Windows is set to 4k resolution then AMD software doesn't allow overscan/underscan scaling. Nvidia does. This is very poor by AMD and they should do better. I have had a look through the samsung TV settings and I can't immediately see any scaling options. It's a Samsung UE50KU6000. I am quite frankly astonished that I am struggling to find in December 2016 a feature that 1980's portable TVs used to have, a simple scaling feature

Last edited:
Associate
There should be picture size options on the Samsung, where you can set 16:9 etc. Just try the various settings in there to see which one fits, normally 'just scan'.

Associate
OP
so are the drivers stuck in overscan with no way to change that or has overscan been disabled completely and you need to adjust your tv?

There is no overscan option at all in the settings when the resolution is set to 4k and a part of the screen is missing (For example I cant see the windows 10 start button. As soon as I reduce resolution to 1920x1080 the screen becomes fully viewable,

Back
Top Bottom