Benq Zowie XL2735

Associate
Hi

Wondering if this monitor is a good purchase I've been looking while saving up for one and it's finally time to pick and purchase one, every other one I wanted was G-sync and I have a amd rx480 so I guessed it was pointless getting a g-sync monitor, I don't want to dive in head first and spend £600-650 and instantly regret it!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks for your time !

Associate
I wouldn't get anything other than an IPS monitor, the colour reproduction on an IPS is so much better than the other monitors I have used.
The colour difference is hugely more important than 3ms less response time to me.
You really don't need a 1ms response unless perhaps you want to be a serious e-sports competitor.

Associate
OP
I don't think I'll ever get to e-sports competitor material I do like fps games I mainly play siege but there's a hell of a lot more better players than me, I'm using a led 60hz Samsung tv as my monitor ATM so I think anything would be a upgrade and hopefully improve my gameplay, to be honest I went with the benq mainly for its looks out of the freesync range of monitors and I agree that the colour is more important than 3ms so it's back to the drawing board I guess, have any suggestions ? I wanted the rof swift but then again it's g-sync isn't it ? I should have done more research on my build choices

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply

is the newer model of the acer released yet? maybe that's why I just had a look it looks pretty sweet, also been looking at ultra wide while been waiting for a response whats your thoughts on them?

Associate
Acer:
At least few German stores claim stock availability. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time when German stores claim stock, and then "Oops, sorry, seems like they weren't in stock, after all... Please wait two weeks."

But indeed, UK stock seems non-existent, so not that surprising that OcUK doesn't have them either. But what is odd, is that they don't even have them listed, so not sure if they currently even have any plans in stocking them.

Ultra-wides:
I personally prefer vertical space over extra horizontal space, so I don't have much insight on those. From what I've understood, most of the 21:9 monitors are 60Hz or 75Hz (I think all the <30" models are). If you want some pointers, then maybe LG Electronics 34UC79G-B or Acer XZ350CU (both 144Hz). Or if you really want to splurge some money, then Samsung C34F791WQU (100Hz, but also 3440x1440). All of those are FreeSync. They are 34-35" in diagonal, but because of the aspect ratio, they have approximately the same height as a 27-28" 16:9 monitor.

Soldato
I really don't buy this view that you need to be a serious esports gamer to justify above 60hz :D

Its just enormously easier on fps games with 144hz. If you enjoy playing fps games then you surely have to consider it, thats all! The amount of friends irl and online that ive persuaded to try 144hz, and very few of them would ever go back! Unless literally all they ever played was very slow paced games or mobas.

Also, you look at the 2 dell gaming monitors with 8bit tn panels and once you have lowered the gamma, they have imo hugely closed the gap towards IPS, especially when compared to the truly awful Benq 6bit tn gaming monitors.

Last edited:
Associate
Just a clarification:
I don't think the justification is about 60Hz+. I think it's with regards to TN panels. I myself always say that you should never get a TN monitor unless you're a competitive gamer. And you should NEVER get a 60Hz TN monitor.

Don't get me wrong: TN does indeed have better pixel response times than IPS or VA, which helps in reaction time for games. But the difference is so small that the compromises that come with the TN panels are simply not worth it for regular gamers, let alone non-gamers. And color fidelity is just one of them, although an important one. But IMO, the more tangible compromise is the viewing angles. Manufacturers know this, and that's why you can't find anything bigger than 28" in TN, and NO super-wide 21:9 TN monitors, of any size.

Soldato
Ah yes, but have you ever tried the dell 27" 144hz?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...reen-led-monitor-midnight-grey-mo-084-de.html

It just feels light years ahead of the traditional tn panels with truly awful colours! thats all :D at 80cm away it looks great and is even 144hz, and to my knowledge has better black levels than IPS in general.

I'm only throwing ideas out there for the guy btw, not saying you are right or wrong or whatever :D

Associate
27" 1440p from a 80cm distance? :eek:

Yeah ... I'm currently using a 32" 1080p from a 75cm distance (was previously using a 42" 1080p from a 1m distance), so I can say for a fact that I wouldn't be happy with your setup, no matter what panel type. ;)

If anyone is interested in a side-by-side TN vs. IPS comparison, they should check this video (the relevant part at 2:50). The ROG Swift was (/is?) supposedly the best TN on the market, but in the end, the TN compromises were still unavoidable.

As for ideas:
Because OP has a RX480, he doesn't need to pay the nVidia-tax for G-Sync. Therefore, FreeSync monitors are surely the way to go, as we can directly shave off £100-£200 from the final price when comparing against an equivalent G-Sync monitor.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like there is a lot to consider I feel is i had a nVidia card my options would be wider.

Anyway ill take all this into consideration when i'm purchasing one i'm probably still going to invest in a ISP, I done a bit of reading up on them and seems like the choice for me :)

Thanks a lot guys appreciate it !

Associate
I posted a thread about this monitor but everyone completely ignored it.

It's a 1440p version of the XL2720Z, but WITHOUT the "Single Strobe" override switch. Vertical total tweaks work just like they did on the XL2720Z and XL2420Z (this time the max limit is VT 1825, unless you reduce the horizontal total, then I think it goes up to VT 1851), this reduces the strobe crosstalk on the screen by over half. 100hz strobing works again unlike on the buggy XL2730Z. The only reason I didn't buy this monitor is due to it double strobing at 60hz and 85hz. It would fully be capable of single strobing if only Benq cared to release a firmware for it.

Note: the XL2540 1080p 240hz monitor has blur reduction, but is completely non-advertised. It's defaulted to off (unlike the XL2735) and can be accessed in the service menu.

Back
Top Bottom