• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade time..

Associate
I currently have HD 7800 Graphics card with the following:
gigabyte ga ex58 ud5 Mobo
I7 CPU 920 @ 2.67
6GB Ram
Windows 7
SSD Hard Drive
Leadex Gold 850W PSU
1 X 23" Monitor

I have recently got back into gaming now and again and noticing on games like Fallout 4, Total War series the Computer is struggling.

I have decided to treat myself to an upgrade and looking at
2 X 27 inch Monitors (mainly for work purposes); and
A new card. Would the MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G PCI Express give my PC a new lease of life without breaking the bank?

Borich

Last edited:
Associate
It certainly would. The MSI 480 is probably the quietest 480, and also one of the coolest.

However, XFX make some cards which are really similar. Such as:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xfx-...s-graphics-card-with-backplate-gx-23i-xf.html

£269.99 (MSI) v £249.95 (XFX)

In either case you're getting some of the best 480's, but you save a bit of money with XFX

Also, you CPU is now quite out-dated. At the start of next year (well it's H1 but many think that means Jan/Feb), AMD are scheduled to released their new CPU's, which are aimed to compete with Intel quad cores (and higher) but for much lower prices. I would recommend having a look at them for an upgrade aswell, however that would require a new motherboard & RAM.

Soldato
Most gpu's will work with any motherbaord that has pci-e x16 slot but not sure about yours since the link you posted there is an issue. A new bios is not available so only way to find out is try it.

Note also that if your motherboard has UEFI then that could be a reason it won't work but most motherboards allow you to disable it and boot in legacy bios mode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom