Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Associate
It will load up everytime you boot up your PC and be active on all desktop stuff. But like i said before some games will ignore it when running via exclusive full screen like 'The Division' so you just run them in borderless window mode instead, most others though run fine with the profile in exclusive fullscreen. The only issue would be if a game has no fullscreen borderless mode and ignores the profile in exclusive full screen mode but their can't be many games like that now in this day and age. I have an ICC profile running but it's my own as i have the equipment to calibrate myself and so don't need to use someone elses ICC profile like the one from TFT central. So in answer yes it will fix the gamma in all but a very few circumstances although the profile is not for your monitor but theres so it won't be as accurate on your version of the monitor but should be an improvement.

I think I'm gonna go with this then. Someone also mentioned using colour profile keeper and colour sustainer, are you aware of these programmes? Sorry for the rapid fire questions, been a long time since a bought a monitor so learning all this on the fly.

http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/color-sustainer-download.html

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
No problem. I'm not aware of these programs sorry. Are you going to get the 27" Dell then?

I think it's the only choice really, tried to see if there was any monitors coming out this year but can only see the new Samsung line up but there free sync unfortunately.

Il prob see if anything comes up from CES and decide after, are you running with the dell s27?

Associate
I would go with the Dell. I have had it a few days. Yes the gamma is washed out on the desktop, an ICC profile or quick tinker in NP fixes this. In game nothing looks washed out in any of my titles (I do not know how the ICC profiles interact with the games).

You can get hung up on this, but in my mind is small beans.

NCP - Set Gamma to 0.8, set Digital Vibrance to + 60%. Forget.

Associate
I would go with the Dell. I have had it a few days. Yes the gamma is washed out on the desktop, an ICC profile or quick tinker in NP fixes this. In game nothing looks washed out in any of my titles (I do not know how the ICC profiles interact with the games).

You can get hung up on this, but in my mind is small beans.

NCP - Set Gamma to 0.8, set Digital Vibrance to + 60%. Forget.

Yeah been back and forward for the past week now haha.

Associate
I actually have binned the TFT central ICC profile and the other I was experimenting with, they just didn't look right, probably because they were not done on my exact screen! Did a simple gamma test at lagom.com, applied the fix through NCP, added a wee bit of digital vibrancy, now it looks ace, highly recommend.

Don't stress, just buy :)

Associate
I think it's the only choice really, tried to see if there was any monitors coming out this year but can only see the new Samsung line up but there free sync unfortunately.

Il prob see if anything comes up from CES and decide after, are you running with the dell s27?

No, i'm using the Dell 24" S2417DG version. I recently checked out the new Asus rival to the 27" Dell the PG278QR and it was pretty perfect even gamma was deep i just can't stand the grainy panel, real shame as that would be top dog for image for 27" TN 1440p. Perhaps a new 27" Dell will be more like the Asus but with a grain free panel next year or correction this year now. I also like the Dell style and stands.

Associate
Just emailed ocuk this morning asking if there going to get the 27" in stock again and if there going to have a sale on it. I no it Christmas and bank holiday so probably get a reply in a couple of days. Hopefully in be for 10th so can have it for my birthday. :D

Associate
No, i'm using the Dell 24" S2417DG version. I recently checked out the new Asus rival to the 27" Dell the PG278QR and it was pretty perfect even gamma was deep i just can't stand the grainy panel, real shame as that would be top dog for image for 27" TN 1440p. Perhaps a new 27" Dell will be more like the Asus but with a grain free panel next year or correction this year now. I also like the Dell style and stands.

Yeah I'm not into the gaining type look either, have dell announced anything yet on 2017's line up of monitors?

Just emailed ocuk this morning asking if there going to get the 27" in stock again and if there going to have a sale on it. I no it Christmas and bank holiday so probably get a reply in a couple of days. Hopefully in be for 10th so can have it for my birthday. :D

if that's the case then it's prob 100% il pull the trigger on this, specially if it's the lower 400's.

Associate
Yeah I'm not into the gaining type look either, have dell announced anything yet on 2017's line up of monitors?

if that's the case then it's prob 100% il pull the trigger on this, specially if it's the lower 400's.

No I am saying I hope there in be for 10th not ocuk said that. :p But hope they are.

Associate
Well got an email back this morning but all they said was we no longer stock this any more. So they didn't answer properly so still going to look every now and then unless I find something else.

Associate
Just got a email back which was very fast. Any way they said that this department cannot offer discounts but ring them up. But OCUK if your reading this it was at £499 at pc world if that price I would buy instantly. Thanks for the very fast reply.

Associate
Associate
Received Saturday, it's definitely a lovely screen.

Not noticed any dead pixels or anything.

I'll get a pic up after work :):)

I received and installed mine - it looks amazing! No dead pixels.

I come from a very standard 27'' 1080p 60hz, so this Dell looks stunning.
QHD is amazing: I feel like I can squint to catch details in the distance. Driving in Watch Dogs 2 feels great.
Watch Dogs 2 works really well, between 60 and 80 fps with many graphic settings on extra.

The seal was broken, I had to check the content before signing. Everything was in order, thankfully, and the monitor looked like it had never been touched.

Got scared a bit when the monitor turned dark every 10 seconds after I selected the 120hz mode. Then I installed the drivers, changed the DP cable (picked the one from the box) and changed the frequency in the Nvidia drivers. Everything is fine now (not sure now what the problem was?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom