UHD Bluray drives for PC?

Soldato
As far as I know there's no software support for 4K Bluray. That'll come with the hardware but currently it seems a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Soldato
I have a latest and most costly BDXL drive from Nov 16 manufacturing and bought it thinking powerdvd would support it with the new version. Fingers crossed although 980tis only have hdcp 1.4 (hence why loads of 4k tvs flicker with them in rgb mode) so I'll need a 10 series or above.

Associate
Is that the lg one bemaniac? I can imagine drive manufacturers turning around and saying everyone needs to buy a new one. Im also worried about the CPU as I've read somewhere about possibly needing 7th gen intel processors. Don't particularly want to change mine anytime soon as the 6700k is more than plenty for what i need.

Associate
UHD Blue Ray will probably have fewer sales than Blue Ray. The disc and its drives have had their day, its all down hill now to a small and expensive end.

Soldato
Yeah the new LG BDXL latest revision.

980ti - no hdcp 2.2
4930K - No onboard GPU

So yeah I'll need something new no doubt even if they update the drive firmware.

I will do it though as HDR pc gaming appeals to me.

Soldato
UHD Blue Ray will probably have fewer sales than Blue Ray. The disc and its drives have had their day, its all down hill now to a small and expensive end.

:rolleyes:

You should research before making silly claims otherwise you make yourself look ignorant!!

Early UHD disc standard sales have out performed early Blu ray sales by a factor of 4 (228,000 v 57,000)

Last edited:
Soldato
well i have the LG 55" OLED 4k HDR tv and have the xbox one s and samsung uhd 4k player standalone

so i will be in no rush to get my pc compatible ;)

my 980TI`s play 4k hdr games just fine and disaply HDR properly to my eyes anyway on my oled tv and i have the LG BDXL drive just in case it works, so im kind of hoping the drive is compatible andd there is a work around for HDCP 1.4 as it can display properly via my pc to my tv with games ect so it will be down to HDCP 2.2 ect hope there is a work around for that like ANYDVD perhaps :D

Soldato
I'm really looking forward to UHD Blu-ray drives coming out for the PC. I want to build an HTPC with one in it as well as building a new gaming PC with one in it. PowerDVD 17 Ultra has just been released with full Ultra HD Blu-ray support when it comes to play-back although you need a really new PC to play these discs according to the system specifications required by PowerDVD.

Associate
power DVD for ultra requires intel graphics, so it seems any add on gpu is not supported. If this continues then pc ultra blu ray will never be more than a niche application.

Soldato
This is good news for some but as we move more and more towards streaming services like Netflix etc and more and more 4k content becomes offered there I think these drives are pretty much obsolete.

Associate
This is good news for some but as we move more and more towards streaming services like Netflix etc and more and more 4k content becomes offered there I think these drives are pretty much obsolete.
Most people don't have 25Mbit downloads, some are still on 1-3mbit.
4K streams are heavily compressed and not the full fat version so losing PQ.
But people are buying standalone players whether it be a normal consumer UHD player or a Xbox s.
PC wise not so much obsolete, as a niche product there will still be the early adopters getting one for the 'willy waving' factor.
Another problem is it appears the only UHD playback software is Power DVD which requires specific HW, no doubt the HW specs were decided by the big studios to prevent copying the UHD content. History has shown us the copy protection is eventually cracked.

Soldato
Most people do not have the bandwidth for 4K streaming & few sites do it properly anyway with HDR enabled. I think these PC drives will gradually increase in popularity but it will take a long time!

Soldato
Watching '4k' Grand Tour on Amazon and the image quality is complete trash. They're having to cater for the lowest common denominator re. consumer bandwidth. UHD discs should be with us for ages until high bandwidth is ubiquitious.

Associate
I was all set to buy the Pioneer blu ray drive for a new PC build for when I get a 4K tv later this year. As I won't have HDMI 2.0 on the motherboard, would it be pointless buying it? What are the chances of graphics cards being supported in the future to watch 4K discs?

Soldato
Never touching media pc systems again ... Had it back in hd-dvd days Software that lasts forfabout 2 years of updates then you havehto pay again or your players a brick. No thanks Dedicated all day long.

And they've made it even worse these days with the crazy specs needed.

Back
Top Bottom