Does size matter?

Soldato
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/

Heres an online graph made by THX who obviously won't have a clue... better to listen to some bloke on the internet.

Weird, I thought they did sound...

-edit
It might seem that THX is recommending a very large screen size for your room. But, it’s important to note two things: 1) THX screen size recommendations are based on recreating an immersive cinematic experience,
So they are recommending for when you watch movies and want to make your room feel like a cinema, not for actually watching television.

Associate
Weird, I thought they did sound...

-edit

So they are recommending for when you watch movies and want to make your room feel like a cinema, not for actually watching television.

No THX sets standards for Audio and Visual equipment in a variety of environments including the home - you can buy THX certified TV's.

They're making a recommendation for setting up a HDTV in a home, if you wanted a tv to stick in the corner while eastenders or the news is playing in the background then - no i wouldn't say its the setup you'd probably find suitable.

However as the OP is looking at one of Samsungs higher end tv sets in sizes around 50" then yes i'd take a leap of faith and guess he wanted something of a high end experience - its not 'just about watching movies' i certainly enjoy that type of viewing experience when watching shows like The grand tour or Game of thrones or house of cards.

As THX point out "2) the biggest complaint among TV buyers is that they wish they had bought a bigger set." ... oh look other posters in the thread find the same thing.

Soldato
It's a no brainer - 55". It is hard to go too big with HD content. Standard def is a different matter - but who watches that in this day and age?! I was 13' from a 120" in my last place and if anything could have gone bigger for scope content. Always go bigger - you'll get used to it and no time and wish you'd gone even larger!

Man of Honour
OP
Still no dice on the 55" KS7000 - seems totally unavailable from Currys. I'm keen to order something from there today to take advantage of the 11% Quidco - is there anything else that can compete with the KS7000 at similar money, or am I better off just waiting 'till the new year? This looks similar to me but unsure whether the specs are the same.

http://recs.richrelevance.com/rrser...-LED-TV-10143161-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Cheers

Soldato
If you are price conscious I'd consider the current Hisense range. e.g. H55M3300

Some Downsides are:
Weaker smart tv offerings (although netflix/amazon/youtube work).
No Quantum dot or native 10bit HDR.
Dynamic contrast/backlight appear to be useless on the current firmware.
Weaker viewing angles.
Upsides are:
around a £400-£500 price difference
emulated 10bit HDR works well with a PS4 pro so I'd assume going forward HDR Content will be fine.
When set up well picture quality gives far more expensive options a run for it's money.
HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 supported so getting 4K content and "smart tv" boxes are possible.

Most will go with the bigger brands, but Hisense are about number 3 world wide and IMO with good reason.

Associate
Still no dice on the 55" KS7000 - seems totally unavailable from Currys. I'm keen to order something from there today to take advantage of the 11% Quidco - is there anything else that can compete with the KS7000 at similar money, or am I better off just waiting 'till the new year? This looks similar to me but unsure whether the specs are the same.

http://recs.richrelevance.com/rrser...-LED-TV-10143161-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Cheers

I tried to get the 55" from currys as well but like you found was sold out, so I ended up going for the 60" ks7000. It turned up and after unboxing I noticed the screen was slightly damaged. I returned it to currys and they had no more in stock so went for the 55" ks8000, it's only £100 more but due to the inconvenience currys waved the extra money and as they have a deal on with the ks8000 at the moment I got the k8500 uhd blu ray player included for free :D.

Man of Honour
OP
So I was hoping the 55 KS7000 would re-appear but that now seems unlikely at £900. Is there anything else worth considering at this money or less? I probably can't justify the 10-bit Sony at £1200. The Hisense does look very interesting at £500. I mainly watch Sky Sports with the occasional film and TV show, all in HD. I would like to get some 4K content soon, but I'll need to upgrade my receiver first!

Caporegime
No THX sets standards for Audio and Visual equipment in a variety of environments including the home - you can buy THX certified TV's.

They're making a recommendation for setting up a HDTV in a home, if you wanted a tv to stick in the corner while eastenders or the news is playing in the background then - no i wouldn't say its the setup you'd probably find suitable.

However as the OP is looking at one of Samsungs higher end tv sets in sizes around 50" then yes i'd take a leap of faith and guess he wanted something of a high end experience - its not 'just about watching movies' i certainly enjoy that type of viewing experience when watching shows like The grand tour or Game of thrones or house of cards.

As THX point out "2) the biggest complaint among TV buyers is that they wish they had bought a bigger set." ... oh look other posters in the thread find the same thing.

thx also say you should set your bass management crossover point to 80hz, however i think you will find quite a lot with home cinemas don't bother listening to them on that.

when a screen is so big you can only focus on a part of it then you could be missing out on details the director intended you to see around the edges.

put it this way, i wouldn't want a tv any bigger in any of the rooms I have a tv in. the living room only has a 43" screen, bedroom 50" and games room 55".

the one in the living room is on an articulated arm so i can swing it around and pull it closer. it's usually about 6 feet away and perfect for that distance. 55" like i said earlier about 8 feet away and the 50" about 7 feet away.

I'll be buying a projector for the living room at some point but that won't be for day to day use only movies and special occasions.

Back
Top Bottom