Police pull motorist for driving too slowly

Soldato
Interstates here have signs saying Minimum Speed 40mph, if you are driving less than that for reasons other than rain/traffic you can and will be ticketed... good idea in my opinion

Associate
http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/psni-pull-motorist-over-driving-12400236

Finally some one has taken notice of the 40 everywhere brigade, I just wish there more traffic officers to further enforce this.

Edit: this is the stretch of road they were stopped on https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.3...4!1slzzYohvZXWPqkpgMHynqUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

While I agree it would seem slow, I think it is ridiculous the police stopping them for this especially in Northern Ireland.

After all in Northern Ireland we have a 45mph limit for 'R' drivers on the motorway, which is frankly silly and less safe than allowing them to drive to the same speed as everyone else. Driving about 35mph (presumably actual speed from police reading so their indicated speed was probably higher) or so on a 60mph is in my view safer than being forced to follow 45mph on a motorway.

Caporegime
I got pulled a few years back for going too slowly, turned out the copper wasn't long in the job and didn't appreciate that a fully loaded artic will struggle to maintain speed on hills!

I honestly thought at first he was kidding, he let me off, as a left I remember thinking "there goes the next Chief Constable!"

Soldato
The most dangerous thing is people joining motorways / dual carriageways at too slow a speed.

You can see the artics slamming on the anchors as even the gap they left isn't enough.

Too many folk do that, if the car coming up the road your joining has to slow down because you couldn't get up to speed quick enough then you arent leaving enough gap.

Iirc isnt that a driving test fault if you don't get up to speed when required?

Soldato
It's when you come across a line of people doing 40 and not overtaking. Arrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

This, this is the thing that annoys me more than anything else.

There will be one slow moving vehicle, literally open road as far as they eye can see ahead of it, and people will just sit there like idiots trundling along at 35/40 mph mile after mile.

I quite often overtake lines of cars 8 to 10 cars long on the way to Nottingham as they sit there blindly following a lorry on the A52.

Soldato
I see a lot of the 40 everywhere crowd even going 40 through a village with 30mph average speed cameras through it on my way to work. Surely they must be getting tickets O_o

The most dangerous thing is people joining motorways / dual carriageways at too slow a speed.

You can see the artics slamming on the anchors as even the gap they left isn't enough.

Or the ones that slow down at the end of the slip road like it's a normal junction. Very dangerous :/

Last edited:
Soldato
This, this is the thing that annoys me more than anything else.

There will be one slow moving vehicle, literally open road as far as they eye can see ahead of it, and people will just sit there like idiots trundling along at 35/40 mph mile after mile.

I quite often overtake lines of cars 8 to 10 cars long on the way to Nottingham as they sit there blindly following a lorry on the A52.

if 8 or 10 other people do not think its safe... are you sure you are not in the wrong? possibly only one in every few hundred drivers would make that move...

think how long you are on the wrong side of the road, doing 60/70/80...

Soldato
if 8 or 10 other people do not think its safe... are you sure you are not in the wrong? possibly only one in every few hundred drivers would make that move...

think how long you are on the wrong side of the road, doing 60/70/80...

A few seconds?

Just because 8-10 other people don't have the confidence or driving ability to perform a simple overtake doesn't mean it's not safe.

Soldato
A few seconds?

Just because 8-10 other people don't have the confidence or driving ability to perform a simple overtake doesn't mean it's not safe.

Exactly..people just seem averse to overtaking, even when it's safe.

The gf was driving back from Guildford the other day on the A31 and we were stuck behind a guy who kept varying his speed between 40 and 50 (in a NSL) and braking for no reason on a straight road. It was really frustrating her, but when we reached a perfect overtaking spot she wouldn't do it as she "doesn't like overtaking".

Soldato
Exactly..people just seem averse to overtaking, even when it's safe.

The gf was driving back from Guildford the other day on the A31 and we were stuck behind a guy who kept varying his speed between 40 and 50 (in a NSL) and braking for no reason on a straight road. It was really frustrating her, but when we reached a perfect overtaking spot she wouldn't do it as she "doesn't like overtaking".

:( That's another thing actually that goes hand in hand with the slow drivers - the unnecessary braking!

Oh it's a slight bend in the road...better brake just in case.

There's a vehicle coming in the opposite direction on the other side of the road....brakes.

There's a completely empty side road in full view of the main road - brakes.

No need for it.

Associate
Interstates here have signs saying Minimum Speed 40mph, if you are driving less than that for reasons other than rain/traffic you can and will be ticketed... good idea in my opinion

Nice. I would like that to be introduced here in the UK as well.

I also find that these people doing 40 in 60/70 zones, tend to do 40 in 30 zones. From me being right behind them due to their slowness, once we enter the slower zone, they suddenly pull away from me as they appear oblivious to speed limits in general.

It's as if they find a safe speed then stick to it, no matter what, until they have to stop.

Soldato
I think there is already a minimum speed for motorways in the UK. But even if there isn't you can still get done if your needlessly making yourself a hazard.

Associate
Slow drivers are a danger on the road. They might think they are driving ultra carefully, but they are a frustration to regular road users. When people get frustrated they begin taking risks to try and overtake these drivers.
Public ad campaign may help re-educate.

Soldato
Thing is they will never tell people to stop driving so slowly, because the H&S wombles and lycra brigade would throw a fit. To them slow = safer in ALL possible situations and is the solution to all road deaths ever.

Soldato
Thing is they will never tell people to stop driving so slowly, because the H&S wombles and lycra brigade would throw a fit. To them slow = safer in ALL possible situations and is the solution to all road deaths ever.

true, the whole business of "speed kills", speed alone never killed anyone.

rapid accelleration on the other hand....

Soldato
A few seconds?

It's alright doing that, until someone further up decides they are going to overtake and pull out without expecting a car doing 80mph up behind them.

Back
Top Bottom