Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
I'm off for a weekender to WHW, really looking forward to it as there are a fair few of us going. I don't currently have a army (40k) but am on the verge of getting a new force - haven't played properly since 2nd. Looking likely it will be a a cadian based Astra Militarum force, especially given the 'Fall of Cadia' narrative that's in the pipeline.

Would've been tempted by an Adepta Sororitas force if there were new battle sister models, sadly I'm not that keep on the current ones, especially given the cost!

Associate
Not for a good few months yet according to the rumour mill, which is a shame, I'm also not that keen on the current range and feel they are badly in need of an update.

Soldato
Super chuffed with my new haul of old goodness!

JLpWGkp.jpg

Hw4yHJm.jpg

JLvzfE1.jpg

The detail on the minis is ridiculous - super happy :) The rest that came in blister packs, including the Greater Harlequin, are on the way.

Also some Nobz, Flash Git and Bad Moon boss I've wanted for donkeys years. Very chuffed with these!

dRTCV4W.jpg

And lastly some suitably bright and garish painting guides (everything's getting a goblin green base!)

m4gmiB3.jpg

Who says you shouldn't go on ebay when drunk :p

Permabanned
Tempted to get me the Astra Militarum Cadian Armoured Fist, even though I don't play. Just hard to justify entirely for painting is all... Unless I also do some D&D 5e version of 40k.

Permabanned
I've never painted anything large like a tank before, so pretty interested in that. Like, I'm much better painting larger models and such, so would be cool to see if I can make a tank look nice.

Soldato
My mate has started working for GW and treated me to the Kill Team box set to get me back into the hobby. I already have piles of Ultramarines mostly unpainted, so I wanted to convert the tactical squad to a Sternguard squad. I can get the upgrade kit for some fancier bits, but honestly have no idea what else to do to make them look more 1st Co. Ideas - weapons etc?

Permabanned
My mate has started working for GW and treated me to the Kill Team box set to get me back into the hobby. I already have piles of Ultramarines mostly unpainted, so I wanted to convert the tactical squad to a Sternguard squad. I can get the upgrade kit for some fancier bits, but honestly have no idea what else to do to make them look more 1st Co. Ideas - weapons etc?

What chapter are you going to be painted it up for? As you can get "upgrade packs" for each of the main chapters for space marines, adding some of this stuff would certainly make them look 1st Co. IMO the ultra marines one is the most "generic" you could use. The weapons, however, that you upgrade to are going to need a trip to the Bitz Box

Ultra Marines
99070101015_UltramarinesUpgrades01.jpg

Space Wolves
99070101012_SpaceWolvesUpgrades01.jpg

Dark Angels
99070101014_DarkAngelsUpgrades01.jpg

Blood Angels
99070101013_BloodAngelsUpgrades01.jpg

Permabanned
How competitive do you want to be? Also need to remember that a new rule set is due out, I think its April.

IMO you are always best to go for what you think is the "coolest". I think current Meta has them with grav guns, not entirely sure though.. I don't actually play, only watch batreps and the like.

Soldato
I feel similar to you then. I'm tempted to have them drop out of the sky with meltas or flamers (or a mix) Especially if I model them to count as Tyrannic War vets or something, then it's a bit more fluffy. I don't want to be competitive particularly, I don't think cheesing people out makes many friends, but I do like value for money.

Grav guns seems popular just going from the bits prices! They didn't even exist in the last codex I owned!

Soldato
I feel similar to you then. I'm tempted to have them drop out of the sky with meltas or flamers (or a mix) Especially if I model them to count as Tyrannic War vets or something, then it's a bit more fluffy. I don't want to be competitive particularly, I don't think cheesing people out makes many friends, but I do like value for money.

Grav guns seems popular just going from the bits prices! They didn't even exist in the last codex I owned!

If you are looking to model them as Sternguard then combi weapons could be a good way to go. So combi-flamer, combi melta, combi grav and combi plasma are the ones you can get. They are good because you can still use the special ammo that sternguard get on their bolters but you also get the added benefit of the combi element.

So recommendations would depend on what you want to do with the unit. If this is for kill team then I'm assuming it's none vehicle combat (I've never played kill team so apologies if I'm wrong on this)

So you could take Sarge with bolter, then either 3 combi-plasma/combi-grav and 1 with a heavy flamer for a 5 man squad. There is an argument that there isn't much point in taking combi-flamers on the basis that one of the special ammunitions gives you ignore cover anyway so you're better off taking one of the other combos.

If you're playing against vehicles then take combi-melta :)

Soldato
Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I'd use them in regular games, though kill team would be OK. My friend plays Necrons, so whatever kills them haha. Otherwise, I'm thinking drop pod and just cause havoc. Because my other models are older, I've got dev squads with Las and plasma, tactical with missiles, etc, but not much with either meltas (1 land speeder) and next to no flamers excluding a couple of tactical marines. Even my assault squad are quite basic with a couple of plasma pistols. Younger me loved plasma.

I'm on the verge of getting the upgrade sprue and a sprue of veteran shoulder pads. It might work out cheaper if my mate can buy them to get a squad of 5 sternguard, pillage the bits, and do something special with the robed veterans. I prefer the look of the older none robed vets before the sternguard existed anyway. Seems like there's a lot of bits to use that between a set of tactical marines and a set off sternguard I could get a lot of mileage from 15 minis.

Soldato
So this little guy turned up in the post - completely forgot he'd been ordered. I take back what I said earlier - everyone should buy minis when drunk!

IWUpVAh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom