Been offered new job - should I take it?

Associate
Hi all,

I currently work in an office for a transport company Monday to Saturday, (total hours 49 a week) I have been in this job for 5 years. I don't enjoy the job as i find it boring and repetitive.(same thing every week).

IV been offered a new job from a small competitor , as a sales executive selling transport services to local businesses. The job will come with a set salary (which is much higher than what im currently earning) and comes with company car,laptop and mobile phone.

This all sounds great however I have never done sales before so am i unsure how I will cope as I been told working in sales can be very tought.

Can anyone give some advice ? - I'm really thinking of giving it a shot as these opportunities don't often come around .

Soldato
Why not, I think you regret not taking it more than if you did.
Try it out and see how you get on, worst case you will have more varied experience to use elsewhere.

Soldato
Hi all,

I currently work in an office for a transport company Monday to Saturday, (total hours 49 a week) I have been in this job for 5 years. I don't enjoy the job as i find it boring and repetitive.(same thing every week).

IV been offered a new job from a small competitor , as a sales executive selling transport services to local businesses. The job will come with a set salary (which is much higher than what im currently earning) and comes with company car,laptop and mobile phone.

This all sounds great however I have never done sales before so am i unsure how I will cope as I been told working in sales can be very tought.

Can anyone give some advice ? - I'm really thinking of giving it a shot as these opportunities don't often come around .

I'd go for it - Sales can be tough but very rewarding providing you are capable of being self motivated. Sales is all about empathy and being already in a similar field you will be able to draw on those experiences.

If sales isn't for you then it would be easy to get a role back doing something similar!

Soldato
The biggest killer of someone's dreams? Their comfort zone.

5 years in a job you find boring? you're comfortable.

Want to progress? leave that comfort behind you and go for it :D

Sales, lots of books out there to read, "Go For No" is one they push here on people. I couldn't do sales, it doesn't interest me but I'm around natural sales people.

Associate
I moved into sales from a totally unrelated area. Best thing I ever did.

The job is tough, you have targets to hit and customers demand a lot of you. However, the benefits are great and you really do get out what you put in.

Go for it, you have to back yourself in this life.

Associate
OP
The biggest killer of someone's dreams? Their comfort zone.

5 years in a job you find boring? you're comfortable.

Want to progress? leave that comfort behind you and go for it :D

Sales, lots of books out there to read, "Go For No" is one they push here on people. I couldn't do sales, it doesn't interest me but I'm around natural sales people.

I agree this is exactly whats happened in my situation, working day in day out staring at the same four walls doing the same duties, its all taken its toll on me and has effected my personal life. I quite often think of it as like being in a prison you cant escape from.

I get 1 hour dinner break, unpaid - Which I quite often work through. (Which I think is a poly by the company to get more work out of you, as it doesn't take an hour to each a sandwich)

I have accepted the job offer, and have given my current employer my notice (1 Month) although id like to tell them what I think I'm intent on leaving on good terms i don't want to burn bridges and later in life regret it.

Thanks for all the messages!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom