Do I need an audio out bluetooth driver ?!?!

Associate
Lads,

I just bought a Skullcandy crusher wireless headset that is connected to my rig via Bluetooth. Bass is EPIC on these, but I'm having major problems with intermittent audio stuttering in games AND films / mp3's etc. The Skullcandy support tech says, and I quote:

'If this is only happening on your computer, I think it is probably your bluetooth driver. I would recommend that you make sure you have the most up to date bluetooth driver installed. Also make sure that it is an audio output bluetooth driver (I have recently learned that most computers have a bluetooth driver, but not an audio output driver)'

I've never even heard of this, ever.

When I go on the Asus website, there is absolutely nothing for Bluetooth driver wise for the P8Z68 Pro gen-3 for Win 10.

Does this mean that the bluetooth on my board isn't good enough for these?

Cheers.

Soldato
There's no mention of A2DP in the specs for the motherboard, so it's likely the Bluetooth is intended for other purposes, not audio.

PitA really for people who want to use Bluetooth audio and have to use up a USB port to connect a Bluetooth dongle, when the board includes Bluetooth. No idea why Asus didn't include A2DP, when you can get that on a cheap dongle.

Edit: Just looking at the manual, it does mention music playback as one of the uses for BT Go!

Maybe it does support A2DP after all. Have you got the BT Go! software installed?

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed there was no W10 driver, but didn't look at the software.

I wondered if there was no driver to download because it's a part of W10, similar when you connect a printer that's older than the OS and you don't need additional drivers like you would on an OS older than the printer.

No drivers on their site for 8.1 either, just 7 and before, so that could be why there are none for W10.

Doesn't really explain why there's no software though for BT Go! for W10. Without a disc, how is someone going to install that? It's available separately under 'utilities' for W8.1 and before.

It's been quite a while since I used Bluetooth on a PC, but the last time I did, I remember getting audio to work via Bluetooth was a pain in the butt. Windows had a habit of using the wrong profile or something. I had to spend ages trying to get to re-install the right one.

Maybe without this BT Go! software, trying to get it to work with audio is as much as a pain in the butt as it was all those years ago. :(

I wonder if that BT Go! software is OS dependent? Could try downloading it for W8.1 and see what happens.

Soldato
In a word, no, not if it doesn't support A2DP. I would have thought it would do though, after reading that music playback is mentioned in the manual. They do not specify playing audio out to Bluetooth headphones or speakers though, just playing it from a BT device through PC speakers. If it works at all, it should work both ways.

I would have expected that getting Bluetooth audio working with W10 would be easier now than it used to be. Microsoft have managed to fail quite hard with W10 when it comes to audio though, what with he anniversary update causing some sound card issues, so I guess it's no surprise that getting Bluetooth audio to work is no plain sailing.

I wouldn't be surprised that should you get a Bluetooth dongle you'll end up having to mess around with the Windows drivers and profiles trying to get it to work.

Soldato
That board is getting on a bit now, I'd be surprised if asus offer a full compliment of w10 drivers. I know my p8p67-m I have to scratch around different sites. If you can work out what the Bluetooth chip is you might be able to find better drivers. But as above the board being old it may just be passed it for this purpose.

Back
Top Bottom