Formula Boinc 2017

Soldato
New season has started and along with it new rules.

The teams selected for the FB are divided into three divisions of 25 teams. The distribution of teams depends on the number of active members (RAC> 100) on each project.

Previously league assignments were based on RAC in November, now there is the factor of active members, this has demoted us to league 3 (we have been reassigned to league 2) though I see this demotion as compliment being as we won league 2 last year with so few active members.

Also this year, in addition to the usual FB scoring (called marathons now) there will be a sprint discipline.

Marathons : each project is considered as a "Grand-Prix". The 10 best teams on each project get a fixed number of FB points.

Sprint : 20 events of 3-days throughout the year, according to the schedule of the Formula 1 championship. Each sprint will involve only one project. The chosen project will only be known 24 hours before the start of the sprint. The top 10 teams on each sprint are given a fixed number of FB points

Marathon Projects:
http://formula-boinc.org/projets.py?lang=en&year=2017

Sprint projects with dates:
http://formula-boinc.org/sprint.py?lang=en&year=2017

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Bit surprised you haven't posted our 1st place in the league already :p

Hoping for an easy year or is nostalgia not what it was :D

MGP

MGP

Soldato
This seems quite weird and in my mind whatever FB have done is poor. OK it is their competition, but I can't see on their site anywhere a discussion hinting that they were wanting to change a tried and tested system.

If they are now limiting teams, I can't see any discussion anywhere as to whether a team should join in or not. There is already one post, from the bronze placed league 2 2016 team, asking why they are excluded.

Last year there were quite a few posts, some may be tucked away out of sight, from OcUK team members concerned that RAC might become to high that we'd be pushed into league one where it would then be no fun because there was no hope of us having enough output. Instead somehow we are demoted to league 3.

The competition has also changed significantly. With only 25 teams per league the balance of output per project will be somewhat different. I don't know if that will make it easier or harder to be at the top of each project. The sprint concept also messes stuff up. Now it's no longer about a balance for the overall output, with the aim that users make their own choice over which of the popular and lesser projects to support, but then there will too be favouritism on projects in the sprint where we are expected to switch about. It's not the competition it was, now it's much closer to the Pentathlon thing.

In my view they have broken something that didn't need fixing and I now have even less interest in it than I did last year.

Soldato
OP
I agree with most of what you have said.

The best we as a team can hope for to make it exciting like last year, is if at least one team in our league plays along, otherwise it will be a stroll in the park for us, especially if we do the sprints and no one else does.

Associate
I have Midas running again as of today, just on BONIC. Ditched Floding@Home as was causing problems. Its on DENIS I tried using the optimised app (avx2) but that seems to stop it from running, has it been integrated now?

Associate
This seems quite weird and in my mind whatever FB have done is poor. OK it is their competition, but I can't see on their site anywhere a discussion hinting that they were wanting to change a tried and tested system.

If they are now limiting teams, I can't see any discussion anywhere as to whether a team should join in or not. There is already one post, from the bronze placed league 2 2016 team, asking why they are excluded.

Last year there were quite a few posts, some may be tucked away out of sight, from OcUK team members concerned that RAC might become to high that we'd be pushed into league one where it would then be no fun because there was no hope of us having enough output. Instead somehow we are demoted to league 3.

The competition has also changed significantly. With only 25 teams per league the balance of output per project will be somewhat different. I don't know if that will make it easier or harder to be at the top of each project. The sprint concept also messes stuff up. Now it's no longer about a balance for the overall output, with the aim that users make their own choice over which of the popular and lesser projects to support, but then there will too be favouritism on projects in the sprint where we are expected to switch about. It's not the competition it was, now it's much closer to the Pentathlon thing.

In my view they have broken something that didn't need fixing and I now have even less interest in it than I did last year.

The previous system was broke because it didn't address projects that died or went stagnant. A project that has tons of work in January but has nothing the rest of the year allows a team to have an unfair 25 point cushion while putting all resources from it elsewhere. Last year a BETA project was allowed to stay (Universe@homes beta project) while the full site was also included. No other project has been allowed to do this. I understand how it happened and that it was screwy, but still should not have been allowed to remain. The old system was broke and of little fun for most teams. Bitcoin Utopia was left high and dry. I also understand the arguments there. The admin never established the board of crunchers he was trying to get to represent all teams in an effort of fairness. He abandoned the idea and now just makes his own decisions. I can tell you now that many people will not find interest in the new format as it is just too much. We already have the Pentathlon, WCG Birthday challenge, SETI Wow! event, the Prime Grid challenge series (9 challenges), as well as the ongoing DC-Vault and others through the year. Only a hand full of people will bother as they seem to be getting challenged out.

Soldato
who remembers LOUDBOB? well he hasn't been around for a few years then while checking dc stats I found this!!!

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=col&team=800

a million points from him, loudbob, are you also add77????

dam I remember his systems, he was another baba

I noticed add77 was doing some work on asteroids but its stopped, then all of a sudden loudbob is doing work on collatz. hmmm..

Back
Top Bottom