• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I dont think I'll be paying much more than £200 for a CPU to replace my 8350 maybe £250 if its a huge upgrade

Considering what I paid for the 8350 on release I think I'm willing to accept a quite a mark up there and like sam77 I'm not feeding the PC component price hikes that we've seen over the last few years its getting ridiculous

Soldato
The only relevant price is the USD price - if that is less than the Intel equivalent,that is what most of the world will be judging it by. As long as the US price and VAT on top is roughly equivalent to the actual UK price it is fair. If you are not happy with the exchange rates,then buy stuff which is mostly made in the UK and stop moaning.

You can't blame Intel,AMD or OcUK for exchange rates - none of you were bitching and moaning at them when the pound was two dollars,were you??

Last edited:
Soldato
The only relevant price is the USD price - if that is less than the Intel equivalent,that is what most of the world will be judging it by. As long as the US price and VAT on top is roughly equivalent to the actual UK price it is fair.

This.

I don't really get the moaning about inflated prices now. Sure, I "only" paid £202 for my 4770k 2 years ago, but the £ was stronger against the $. Sure, I wish it was as strong still so I could get a better processor for my money. But it isn't. The price is what it is, and I'll just get on with it. It is no longer 2014.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
The dollar rate is out of our control as is the pricing strategies of all the vendors.

I know they are, I'm not blaming OcUK. I was annoyed at the snide comment you made regarding people mentioning how expensive things are becoming after a sudden 20% hike in prices.

The only relevant price is the USD price - if that is less than the Intel equivalent,that is what most of the world will be judging it by. As long as the US price and VAT on top is roughly equivalent to the actual UK price it is fair. If you are not happy with the exchange rates,then buy stuff which is mostly made in the UK and stop moaning.

You can't blame Intel,AMD or OcUK for exchange rates - none of you were bitching and moaning at them when the pound was two dollars,were you??

Yeah there's plenty of alternative UK PC part manufacturers to go to isn't there?! :rolleyes:

I'm not blaming Intel/AMD/OcUK for exchange rates. I don't think many are.

I'm just slightly annoyed I'm slowly (or not so slowly) being priced out of a hobby I've enjoyed for decades. If the rate drops in March to close to £1/$1 then i7's will be at £420 and i5's at £290.

If AMD launch Zen around then, yes they might still be "cheaper" overall, but in the UK will still be relatively expensive because unfortunately my wage (and i'm sure many others) hasn't increased 20-30% in the last 12 months to compensate.

Caporegime
The pound devaluation is our own doing.
I voted remain, so I feel vindicated in my annoyance though.

We're not intentionally being priced out. Vendors shouldn't have to subsidise us.

I've mentioned a few times that Zen in the UK will probably be judged harshly because of the pound.

Caporegime

ljt

ljt

Soldato
The pound devaluation is our own doing.
I voted remain, so I feel vindicated in my annoyance though.

We're not intentionally being priced out. Vendors shouldn't have to subsidise us.

I've mentioned a few times that Zen in the UK will probably be judged harshly because of the pound.

I totally agree. I had no intentions of coming across that we are being intentionally priced out. I bare no judgement against OcUK/Intel/AMD etc. This isn't their fault. I'm just commenting on the reality of prices in the UK and the UK alone.

As you say the devaluation is "our own doing" - although I too voted remain, but alas we are now paying the price for the 52% who didn't

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...pound-slide-liberates-uk-from-malign-grip-of/

GBP is still overvalued - but with it being lower it is helping rebalance the books.

HA! Yeah I love paying more for things from a wage that hasn't increased anywhere near the same sort of proportion that prices have increased.

Last edited:
Associate
Polls on ocuk were closer to 70% for brexit from forum members, so most people here should be happy from high prices as...it's better in a long run according to them:D

Soldato
Yeah there's plenty of alternative UK PC part manufacturers to go to isn't there?! :rolleyes:

I'm not blaming Intel/AMD/OcUK for exchange rates. I don't think many are.

I'm just slightly annoyed I'm slowly (or not so slowly) being priced out of a hobby I've enjoyed for decades. If the rate drops in March to close to £1/$1 then i7's will be at £420 and i5's at £290.

If AMD launch Zen around then, yes they might still be "cheaper" overall, but in the UK will still be relatively expensive because unfortunately my wage (and i'm sure many others) hasn't increased 20-30% in the last 12 months to compensate.

What can we do then?? I don't like the high prices too,and wages have stagnated,but I have resigned myself to the fact things will cost more in general. The fact is we have ended at this juncture is decades of petty party politics and business decisions in this country,which have only been short term with no real longterm planning,as there is no real consequence for any of them,with a media which seems to love sensationalism which is owned by all their rich buddies, since they just palm off their failure as being somebody else's fault.

Last edited:
Soldato
Polls on ocuk were closer to 70% for brexit from forum members, so most people here should be happy from high prices as...it's better in a long run according to them:D

So very this - I was fumin about brexit, bloody idiotic - absolutely stupid, politically it was a bet to further one mans career and the frustrated masses saw it as an op to 'stick it to the man' - yet all it did was create opertunity either way for 'the man' - they win either way we loose now - I.E. STUPID MONEY FOR ANYTHING NOW

I get to say I told you so ------ until the £ returns to what it once was (if ever), so get some ear plugs people cuz here we go!

I TOLD YOU SO :D

Just think our AMD chips could have cost £100 less.........

Associate
The £ has a LOT of falling to do before it starts to strengthen again. So sadly, we haven't seen the worst of this yet and prices will continue to rise.

If you have any substantial amount of Euros, hold on to them. I will.

Soldato
£/$ is bad now, and yes, Brexit is to blame for that, but it's hardly the end of the world. Long term implications and effects of Brexit may actually benefit us all and who knows where things will be in a few years time. Even the best economic professors in the land can't answer that, but it MAY actually be a good thing. We shall just have to wait and see. Doom, gloom and 'I told you so' is hardly productive. Let's just suck it up and keep on overclockin'! ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
£/$ is bad now, and yes, Brexit is to blame for that, but it's hardly the end of the world. Long term implications and effects of Brexit may actually benefit us all and who knows where things will be in a few years time. Even the best economic professors in the land can't answer that, but it MAY actually be a good thing. We shall just have to wait and see. Doom, gloom and 'I told you so' is hardly productive. Let's just suck it up and keep on overclockin'! ;)

Given how universally little people in the UK save, they generally don't have another 20% left to "suck it up" with.

Back
Top Bottom