4k Ultrawide Gsync 120Hz+ or OLED TV alternative

Permabanned
Love all the tech crammed into that ROG Swift PG27UQ; but too damn small!

After using a 34 ultrawide for a while now a 27" screen just isn't going to cut it.

I live in hope that the same feature set will come with the yet to be announced Samsung QLED ultrawides.

Soldato
OP
Any update on this? More specifically, is there anything coming relatively soon that could replace a X34a?

I'm approaching the 18 month stage of ownership, which is a good time to sell on as it gives the new owner a wee bit of warranty.

I still love the screen, but have a wee budget to upgrade and given that I have a 6700k/1080ti system then the best choice for spending on the system is surely the monitor?

Soldato
The trouble for me when choosing was inevitably in two years time, all of the overpriced gsync hype is going to mean absolutely nothing. It does look gorgeous, but with OLED on the way I pretty much feel Nvidia are selling the monitor equivalent of the MiniDisc player lol.

I'd be seriously tempted to keep what you have. Anything you sell it for means taking a hit, and you'll only have to pay more for another. I get you have the itch but IMO it just doesn't seem worth it.

Bang for the buck all the way. 60Hz and vsync for the win ;) lol

Soldato
Any update on this? More specifically, is there anything coming relatively soon that could replace a X34a?

I'm approaching the 18 month stage of ownership, which is a good time to sell on as it gives the new owner a wee bit of warranty.

I still love the screen, but have a wee budget to upgrade and given that I have a 6700k/1080ti system then the best choice for spending on the system is surely the monitor?

Your better off waiting until next year. I've recently gone from the X34 to the new Alienware 3440x1440 120hz but mainly because it cost me nothing for the upgrade.

I love the panel but still waiting to see how the PG35VQ is when it finally comes out but that's looking like early-mid next year.

OLED on monitors is still miles away yet. The recent Dell 30" OLED one was $5000.

Associate
To be fair, the Dell OLED did end up coming out at $3500 - surprisingly well below the originally touted $5K price tag.

Unfortunately I agree that OLED is still some way away - maybe 2020 there'll be some more options :mad:

Agreed next year is the best bet, you'll have brand new high refresh UW + 4K panels coming to market so should finally some new products.

Take a look at https://pcmonitors.info/ and http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ if you want to see whats happening - the sites are run by PCM2 and Baddass off our very own forum and are a fantastic resource!

Caporegime
Monitors are always going to cost more, it is just the way the market works now i.e. far smaller market than TVs and then PC/gaming branding gouging on top.

That dell OLED didn't even have free/g sync and was only 30" so just imagine how much a 100+HZ, 4k+ 21.9, "true" HDR, OLED 34+" with free and more so, g sync will cost, you'll be lucky to see that sort of spec for less than £4000 at which point a 55+" OLED TV will probably cost £1000 or very possibly less.....

With HDMI 2.1, I can see a lot more people jumping to a TV for their gaming PC's.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm strangely annoyed yet also pleasantly surprised how much value my X34 has provided. I thought by now we'd have something on the horizon that offered so much more, but there really isn't! I suspect it will be a couple of years before I do now. Even within the TV sector there is nothing, given the the 60Hz limitation and lack of adaptive sync. I'm not married to 21:9, but it would take a 40" screen @ 16:9, 100Hz+, HDR and G-Sync to catch my attention. I will not be holding my breath.

Caporegime
I'm strangely annoyed yet also pleasantly surprised how much value my X34 has provided. I thought by now we'd have something on the horizon that offered so much more, but there really isn't! I suspect it will be a couple of years before I do now. Even within the TV sector there is nothing, given the the 60Hz limitation and lack of adaptive sync. I'm not married to 21:9, but it would take a 40" screen @ 16:9, 100Hz+, HDR and G-Sync to catch my attention. I will not be holding my breath.

Yup that is why I bought an OLED TV in the end, monitor market is **** and hasn't advanced at all since I got my 29um65 4-5 years ago (instead prices have only gone up) and even when it does, you are going to be paying silly money.

Honestly I am shocked how responsive the TV is, even in non game mode. You definitely won't want to use it for anything competitive like cs go but 99% of other gaming, it is superb and the motion clarity is amazing, miles better than my monitor, especially when you run it in 120HZ mode and are getting 100+ FPS. Adaptive sync would have been great but screen tearing is noticeably less than on my 29um65.

IQ wise, it obliterates anything in the monitor sector.

Soldato
Yup that is why I bought an OLED TV in the end, monitor market is **** and hasn't advanced at all since I got my 29um65 4-5 years ago (instead prices have only gone up) and even when it does, you are going to be paying silly money.

Honestly I am shocked how responsive the TV is, even in non game mode. You definitely won't want to use it for anything competitive like cs go but 99% of other gaming, it is superb and the motion clarity is amazing, miles better than my monitor, especially when you run it in 120HZ mode and are getting 100+ FPS. Adaptive sync would have been great but screen tearing is noticeably less than on my 29um65.

IQ wise, it obliterates anything in the monitor sector.

What OLED do you have and what size? I hadn't really considered them as all OLED's I looked at were too big at normal viewing distances.

Caporegime
What OLED do you have and what size? I hadn't really considered them as all OLED's I looked at were too big at normal viewing distances.

LG 55c7, 55", smallest you can get for an oled TV.

It isn't actually as big as what you would think once you have it set up in your own room but I'm not using it as a dedicated monitor i.e. were sitting from like 30-60 cm.

Caporegime
I have room to wall mount one of those for controller based games, but it's pretty steep at £1.5k. I could get 4k Gsync for less.

I'm assuming it's restricted to 60Hz?

I guarantee that 4k gsync will not come anywhere close to the oled :D :p IMO, £1350-1500 is a fair price considering you are getting the absolute best IQ there is, proper HDR too unlike all these fake HDR panels floating about in the monitor market.

You can do 120HZ @ 1920x1080. I would get one just to try it out, gaming is pure bliss in terms of motion clarity, even at 60HZ, it is night and day compared to my 60HZ LCD monitor (which is very good for motion, at least for a 60HZ IPS monitor anyway) and 120HZ mode with 100+ FPS just makes the motion clarity + input lag even better.

Regarding sharpness, funny thing is despite my monitor having a far higher PPI than the TV in 1080P mode, the Tv still looks sharper than it, perks of:

- no matte anti glare finish
- infinite contrast ratio
- sitting further back

The main thing really is the contrast ratio and proper blacks, it makes such a drastic difference to the image.

Unless you badly need sync tech. and "must" have 1-3ms of input lag or/and can't fit 55", there is no reason not to consider one imo, especially if you are thinking of spending £1000 on a monitor already.

Burn in will only be a problem if you use it for browsing/windows/desktop usage and game every day for 8 hours straight or something like that.

Soldato
I guarantee that 4k gsync will not come anywhere close to the oled :D :p IMO, £1350-1500 is a fair price considering you are getting the absolute best IQ there is, proper HDR too unlike all these fake HDR panels floating about in the monitor market.

You can do 120HZ @ 1920x1080. I would get one just to try it out, gaming is pure bliss in terms of motion clarity, even at 60HZ, it is night and day compared to my 60HZ LCD monitor (which is very good for motion, at least for a 60HZ IPS monitor anyway) and 120HZ mode with 100+ FPS just makes the motion clarity + input lag even better.

Regarding sharpness, funny thing is despite my monitor having a far higher PPI than the TV in 1080P mode, the Tv still looks sharper than it, perks of:

- no matte anti glare finish
- infinite contrast ratio
- sitting further back

The main thing really is the contrast ratio and proper blacks, it makes such a drastic difference to the image.

Unless you badly need sync tech. and "must" have 1-3ms of input lag or/and can't fit 55", there is no reason not to consider one imo, especially if you are thinking of spending £1000 on a monitor already.

Burn in will only be a problem if you use it for browsing/windows/desktop usage and game every day for 8 hours straight or something like that.

I've been considering one for a while to be fair. If it will do 120hz like you say it will then I'm sold.

Could you send us a link mate, to the exact model you have. Or just the model number will do.

120hz :o, that sounds stunning. I can't think of a reason why nvidia dsr wouldn't work on it either.

Last edited:
Soldato

That may rule it out for me, as it would be my daily driver and I'm in front of mine a lot working from home. That and I'm only about 90cm away from it, so 55" might be a tad too big lol!

I'd definitely appreciate a bigger screen though.

Caporegime
I've been considering one for a while to be fair. If it will do 120hz like you say it will then I'm sold.

Could you send us a link mate, to the exact model you have. Or just the model number will do.

120hz :o, that sounds stunning. I can't think of a reason why nvidia dsr wouldn't work on it either.

All of LG's 2017 OLEDS can do 120HZ @ 1080P. One of the review sites said they didn't notice any difference to 60HZ mode, at least where input lag was concerned but I definitely notice a difference so maybe it was a bug in the firmware at their time of review. Either way, even 60HZ is very good and this is all in standard mode i.e. not in game mode, which will further reduce input lag.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...art-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-oled-tv-10160548-pdt.html

That's the one I got, although I will be returning it as I can get the e7 model for £1099, same panel, just cheaper than what I paid + built in soundbar and more fancy remote.

No idea if dsr will work with 120HZ, I think you will be surprised by how good even 1920x1080 looks though.

That may rule it out for me, as it would be my daily driver and I'm in front of mine a lot working from home. That and I'm only about 90cm away from it, so 50" might be a tad too big.

I'd definitely appreciate a bigger screen though.

Well, tbh, from what I've seen, you could probably get away with it as long as you:

- auto hide taskbar
- change wallpaper every minute
- resize windows and move them about every now and then
- use dark themes

But yeah, I definitely wouldn't use it nor want to anyway for "normal" desktop usage, mine purely just for games (except multiplayer shooters like bf 1), tv shows and films and the 29um65 is for everything else.

Back
Top Bottom