Spec me an SUV - Trying to decide on my next SUV

Soldato
Hi there, I got my first SUV last year which is an Nissan Qashqai and I love it. But moving forward before my lease is up I have been looking forward to my next SUV and trying something different. I am able to order 6 months towards the end of my 2 year lease.

I've been reading reviews and looking at these cars mainly:

• Audi Q3 - £27k - 117 co2 - Band C
  • Honda CR-V 1.6 DTEC - £25k - 115 co2 - Band C
  • VW Tiguan - £22k - 123 co2 - Band D
  • Nissan X-Trail - £21k - 129 co2 - Band D
  • Toyota RAV4 - £22k - 123 co2 - Band D
  • Skoda Kodiaq - £21k - TBC co2 - TBC
  • Ford Kuga - £20k - 115 co2 - Band C

My Nissan Qashqai starting price was around £18k but then by the time I added the extra packs and added main features like 7" touch screen with Sat-nav, panaramic sunroof, 17" alloy wheels etc it came to just under £24k. The mosthly cost for this is £375 including insurance and servicing etc so this is my budget and don't really want to go much higher then this if I can help it. The leasing company I use gives a big discount on low emissions and the version of Qashqai I got only had 99 co2 which was amazing so thats why I got it so cheap.

I like my Qashqai because I like big cars and couldn't afford a proper 4x4 and I like all the technology the Qashqai has too, and I believe its a safe family car.

Out of the cars I've mentioned above I'm leaning towards getting a Nissan X-Trail or VW Tiguan but what do you guys think of those cars and is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks in advance. :D:p;)

Caporegime
Q3 surely must be a no-go. It's essentially an A3 8P (Or Golf MK5) underneath and as such is OLD, VERY VERY OLD. Certainly not worth paying the extra over say, the new Tiguan (which looks superb).

Soldato
OP
Q3 surely must be a no-go. It's essentially an A3 8P (Or Golf MK5) underneath and as such is OLD, VERY VERY OLD. Certainly not worth paying the extra over say, the new Tiguan (which looks superb).

Yeah I've totally gone off the Q3, and I went to a VW garage a few weeks back with the wife and we both sat in the Tiguan and were really impressed. It seemed a lot bigger then my Qashqai as well which I love. The bigger the better for me!

Which do you think is better out of the Nissan X-Trial and the Tiguan?

Caporegime
I'd have the Tiguan over the X-Trail, but then I'm really not into Japanese cars (not once has the interior of one made me think anything better than "meh"), and I think the Tiguan's styling is great.

Of course, I've driven neither of the current generation, but I have driven both the previous gen X-Trail and Tiguan, I'd have had the Tiguan then too, but then the previous X-Trail was a utilitarian workhorse, not a comfortable premium product.

Permabanned
I was looking at SUV's to replace my A4 Avant earlier in the year, i looked at pretty much all of the ones you mentioned apart from the Skoda.

I liked the Xtrail and CRV, but they werent the best choices for a company car due to emissions. The tiguan looks nice, but it felt a bit cheap inside, lost of naff plastics lower down, and the engine was a bit gruff. Q3,Kuga & Rav 4 were a bit small in the back for me as i wanted a car to accomodate 2 baby seats and a adult!

I ended up going for a Volvo XC60 R design Lux, and 9k miles later i do not regret my choice one bit, supremely comfortable, fantastically built (as good if not better than my A4), lovely pokey 190bhp engine, and its actually not as 'bargey' as i thought it would be. And low emissions for a company car.

I like the look of the Seat Ateca and the Skoda Kodiaq, these would be my choices if i need a car of this size in a few years time, but i'll more than likely be going back to a large estate if funds allow (loving the look of the new E class and 5 series right now).

Suspended
I was looking at SUV's to replace my A4 Avant earlier in the year, i looked at pretty much all of the ones you mentioned apart from the Skoda.

I liked the Xtrail and CRV, but they werent the best choices for a company car due to emissions. The tiguan looks nice, but it felt a bit cheap inside, lost of naff plastics lower down, and the engine was a bit gruff. Q3,Kuga & Rav 4 were a bit small in the back for me as i wanted a car to accomodate 2 baby seats and a adult!

I ended up going for a Volvo XC60 R design Lux, and 9k miles later i do not regret my choice one bit, supremely comfortable, fantastically built (as good if not better than my A4), lovely pokey 190bhp engine, and its actually not as 'bargey' as i thought it would be. And low emissions for a company car.

I like the look of the Seat Ateca and the Skoda Kodiaq, these would be my choices if i need a car of this size in a few years time, but i'll more than likely be going back to a large estate if funds allow (loving the look of the new E class and 5 series right now).

Volvo make supremely comfortable 4x4s.

Soldato
Add these to the lists as they are very good cars & 'better' than some in the list:

Mazda CX5
Kia Sportage
Hyundai Santa Fe
Suzuki Vitara

I would also not bother getting the current gen CRV as it is end of life, and there is a new one out soon.

Back
Top Bottom