The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

And

And

Associate
Ordered from Clifton Cameras, should receive them later this week. The guy I do fieldwork with uses the same bins, albiet the older model.

Soldato
Did you sort out your lighting issues?

Yeah i got it working eventually. The first time i checked the 24 - 70 lens on my 5D it altered the micro-adjust to -2, I also tried it a second time and it altered it to + 3. So I'm not sure what conclusions i can draw from it :confused:

I'll maybe give it another go this week to see if it alters anything?? I do have a PDF of the output of results. Need to have a look through them to see exactly what has changed though.

Associate
Yeah i got it working eventually. The first time i checked the 24 - 70 lens on my 5D it altered the micro-adjust to -2, I also tried it a second time and it altered it to + 3. So I'm not sure what conclusions i can draw from it :confused:

I'll maybe give it another go this week to see if it alters anything?? I do have a PDF of the output of results. Need to have a look through them to see exactly what has changed though.

well i tend to take an ave of a few try's so from that id set to 0 :D

Soldato
Macro lenses for 7d mark 2. I was considering the 100mm usm but is the IS version really worth it for twice the price? Especially if you're shooting at a fast shutter speed?

I plan to shoot insects mainly dragonflies over summer.

Soldato
Late Xmas present

Nice assume that's the contemporary. Got the same lens except without the teleconverter. At this time of the year with poor light will you not struggle at that length with the 1 or so stop aperture penalty from the TC?

Associate
Macro lenses for 7d mark 2. I was considering the 100mm usm but is the IS version really worth it for twice the price? Especially if you're shooting at a fast shutter speed?

IS is pretty worthless unless your subject is stationary.

Dragonfly and insect will move and IS won't help you.
You will need a fast shutter speed for anything that's alive.

I don't think it's worth spending the extra.

I sometimes use my Sigma 150 macro at weddings and IS would be handy there, but if I were doing it regularly I would buy a 70-200 2.8

Soldato
Something to accompany my DSLR, it's so small it easily fits in my backpack with all my other gear. I wanted a drone when I was in Iceland last year but couldn't carry the Phantom and my Camera gear.

Mavic.jpg

And

And

Associate
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-100-2p8-is-usm-c16

A 300mm f4 + TC + tubes or 100-400 + TC + tubes might be a better alternative for dragonflies in order to get the magnification without getting so close as to scare them away. That's not to say you can't get close to them with a macro lens though.

Associate

A 300mm f4 + TC + tubes or 100-400 + TC + tubes might be a better alternative for dragonflies in order to get the magnification without getting so close as to scare them away. That's not to say you can't get close to them with a macro lens though.

Biggest mistake most people make taking photographs of Butterflies and Dragonflies, is to try to take them in the middle of the day. They've warmed up by then and are at their most active.

Best times of the day are first thing in the morning (when they're still warming up) or late evening when they're settling down for the night. You can literally get within a few inches of them at this time.

Soldato

Thanks. I had the flexibility when I had the 100-400 but the mark 1 image quality wasn't quite there. I found the 100mm about right.

I've never considered tubes and now that I've read up on them after you've mentioned it makes sense.

Associate
Nice assume that's the contemporary. Got the same lens except without the teleconverter. At this time of the year with poor light will you not struggle at that length with the 1 or so stop aperture penalty from the TC?

It's the sports version - I've still not really tested it out yet due to work being unusually manic for this time of year and when the weather has been good over a weekend I've been busy sorting out kidney stones :eek:.

Back
Top Bottom