Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
The basic iLO functions work fine on my nearly two year old Gen8 with no additional license. If I want to use the remote console then that does moan that I don't have the license but temperature monitoring, powering the server on/off etc all work fine without it so it's still useful.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Ilo4's can use some Ilo2 keys (but not the other way around) which can be found via quick Google search. As long as it's not connected to HP your set or cheap enough on flee market sites.

Last edited:
Suspended
I am considering a Gen8 upgrade from my Synology DS212J, which I currently use to serve .wavs to my Auralic Aries, as well as storing movies and family photos/videos.

Which OS would be best for this purpose? How much RAM should be considered the minimum for strong performance?

The Synology does all of the above now, but it's slow and feels underpowered to me.

Soldato
I have one running WHS2011 but that's not really an option for a new build unless you happen to have a copy.
I also have one running NAS4Free which seems to work very well. The amount of RAM required depends on the file system used. ZFS needs at least 1GB of RAM per TB of disk space - I have 4 x 3TB HDDs in RAIDZ1 so have put in the full 16GB. You might get away with the standard 4GB if you only use software RAID but adding the second 4GB will always help.

Soldato
Depends what CPU you end up with on the Gen8, and what you want to use it for, for what I wanted i had enough CPU grunt but was limited by RAM so am breaking my Gen8 and have built a custom as a replacement so I can have more RAM..
But then again my spec was a bit beyond the off the shelf..

Caporegime
No reason why not - its a bit overkill really. Could run it virtually with other things...

that was my thinking. run PF Sense Virtually on a VM.

Use it as a media server for movies / shows, etc mainly with some streaming, etc. Would be in the living room hooked up to a 4K AVR and 4K TV can these servers output 4K or will I need a seperate cheap GPU?

Associate
Has anyone used Odrive to sync cloud storage to an ubuntu based server?

Either the 'how to sync' guide on the website makes no sense or I don't understand it (potentially both). Can easily get the client installed and running, but can't figure out how to get it to sync from the cloud to the server :(

Associate
Would rather have the Intel raid than the tripe the Gen8 has though :(

The Gen 8 RAID controller is a HP rebranded intel software raid controller. When in RAID 1 or 10, you get full 2/4 drive RAID 0 speeds with single (RAID1) and double (RAID10) drive write speeds.

No hardware RAID processing or cache but that's to be expected at the price point :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I only use RAID mode on the Microserver Gen8 because it gives lower fan speeds (less noise), but the disks are essentially configured as single disk RAID 0 arrays, and the disks can be removed and installed anywhere else and read perfectly fine (i.e. they aren't written in any funny format).

Associate
My drives are in RAID 0 and then I've used RDM to add them in VMware and then using xpenology SHR you manage the drives. Currently got up to 9tb of drives and 6tb of usable space and i'm up to ripping my friends DVDs and all my films are done.

Here's a piccy

Back
Top Bottom