Mountain Biking

Soldato
Thoughts on Conti Mountain Kings? Need something a bit grippier as I'm finding the Racing Ralphs that came on my bike (Scale 960 29er) a bit slick in the thick mud.

Seen them at Merlin for £20 a tyre. Seems like a good deal.

Caporegime
Re; Tyres, I'd been looking at moving to a Schwalbe Magic Mary / Nobby Nic combo. Anyone got an experience of these vs the Mountain King IIs / Highrollers that have been mentioned in the past few posts?

Apart from watching mates fall apart, no. But I believe they have sorted that now.

Soldato
I've go Nobby Nics on my 26er and Mountain King IIs on my 29er and the tread pattern on the Mountain King pics up a lot less mud… but it's not the best comparison as they're different sizes.

Soldato
I have magic mary / HD combo, its great! although not so fast rolling on fire roads / hard pack trails etc

have also ran HD / NN combo before, which was faster rolling

MM is grippiest / slowest
HD in the middle
NN less grippy / faster rolling, not really grippy enough for ragging it

I killed the NN but then I treat them badly!

had the mountain king (1st ones?) and they were terrible
then went rubber queen which were grippy but a bit soft and seem to loose the stickyness after a while

Soldato
Magic Mary/Hans Dampf for winter/wet/slop/loam/loose
Hans Dampf/Rock Razr for summer/dry/hard pack or hamsterley(in any condition)

DH bike gets Marys all round regardless, VS front/TS rear.

I didnt get along with High Roller 2s, not all that fast rolling, unpredictable in the damp or loose conditions, narrow for size, and regardless of pressure or carcass type just kept puncturing them.
just dont understand why they get so much praise.

Soldato
Magic Mary/Hans Dampf for winter/wet/slop/loam/loose
Hans Dampf/Rock Razr for summer/dry/hard pack or hamsterley(in any condition)

DH bike gets Marys all round regardless, VS front/TS rear.

I didnt get along with High Roller 2s, not all that fast rolling, unpredictable in the damp or loose conditions, narrow for size, and regardless of pressure or carcass type just kept puncturing them.
just dont understand why they get so much praise.

They get praise because they are great tyres :) fast rolling grippy and once set tubeless never had a puncture.

HR2 front and rear is my winter combo and HR2 ardent is my go to summer combo

Soldato
So many choices with tyres, different treads for different terrains, different compounds, different requirements front/back all trying to balance it in with how durable the tyres are.
After more reading I'm leaning towards Magic Mary / Hans Dampf, both in trailstar compound, just wondering whether it is a bit mud/wet weather orientated considering most of my riding is at trail centres when the weather isn't horrendous.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some point, whatever I get is going to be grippier but wear quicker than the plastic OEM NNs which came on my bike :/

Soldato
I normally run Hans Dampf front and rear in the dry (vert front, trail rear) and find them very predictable.

However the HD do clog really badly so wouldn't call them a winter tyre. I kept my rear on (rear grip isn't as important imo, unless climbing) and switched out the front for the MM which are supposed to be very good all round wet weather tyres.

Back
Top Bottom