5 year warranties: Do I chase after the retailer or the manufacturer?

Associate
So my PSU recently broke down. I got my first (and completely new) build just over a year ago (sept 2015), and ordered all of the parts from various places online. I knew after about 6 months that something wasn't quite right, but many of my tech friends looked at it and could find nothing wrong (My pc would shut down sometimes while in sleep mode, and it would be completely dead unless I took a part out and put it back in). This progressed for several more months until a few days ago it wouldn't come on after a simple shut down, and then it wasn't staying on/wouldn't really come on at all even after I did my usual fix.

Someone leant me a psu so I could see if my pc would come on, and it did- I ran BIOS and all seems well, the only problem being that it doesn't fit in my midi case. I've subsequently ordered a new one (by a different manufacturer and this time from Amazon), because I need something in the mean time.

My warranty problem:

The PSU I had was by XFX, and was 80+ Gold with a 5 year warranty, which I bought from Maplin.

I rang Maplin up and they told me that I had to get a replacement from the manufacturer, and not them. Similarly XTX who were a pain in the ass to contact told me that they see it as the retailer's responsibility (but would replace the item if I would pay the shipping costs (to the Netherlands, and then to China, and then to Hong Kong, and then to my address), which are probably worth about as much the £100 unit), though in all honesty I don't feel that I should be paying shipping for a faulty item that is under a 5 year warranty after only a year and a bit.

I've read a little more about this, and everywhere online says I should be pushing the retailer... but they say this when a warranty is 1 year and the item has failed within 6 months. No one has really covered what happens with 5 year warranties when it's been over a year, and I don't know who I should be following up with or how to go about it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Soldato
Soldato
That is not actually correct. Warranties are Seperate to your consumer rights and can have any conditions attached to them. So if the warranty states you must goto the manufacturer then that is what you must do

You can also exercise your rights under the sales of goods act. For this you go to the retailer. But after 6 months you may need to prove there was a inherent fault with the product.

I'd suggest contacting both first of all and see which one will get the best resolution. For the retailer, make sure you tell them it's the sales of goods act you are using, and not the warranty.

Back
Top Bottom