*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
I find it hard to be motivated for Nintendo games anymore, Mario and Zelda were great when I was 12 years old but that was over 20 years ago.

Was tempted many times by the Wii U when it was going cheap but the games don't appeal to me anymore, can't see the Switch being any different.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So you're being pedantic, got it.

Do you agree the the excessive price of the console in every country it is releasing has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit?:confused:

Good God man. Straw man much?

What part of I took issue with you saying "And yeah the price has nothing to do with brexit at all, just Nintendo's pricing!" do you not understand?

I spent time giving you an example of how exchange rate makes a difference in pricing. You did not even reply to this, but chose to go on about something completely different which has NOTHING to do with what I took issue with you post about in the first place!!!

Soldato
I find it hard to be motivated for Nintendo games anymore, Mario and Zelda were great when I was 12 years old but that was over 20 years ago.

Was tempted many times by the Wii U when it was going cheap but the games don't appeal to me anymore, can't see the Switch being any different.

That's a shame, I'm more excited by the Switch than anything else that has been released recently, I was meh about the PS4 Pro although I did get PSVR and that's quite an experience but I don't find I want to stay in it for long periods of time, an hour is more than enough.

Did you watch the new Zelda trailer, didn't you get the urge to explore that world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

Soldato
On the contrary, if they did give it multimedia options which it wasn't very good at (because it's a console first) they would be openly criticised for that.

Am sure if it gets off to a good start then we'll see Netflix and YouTube apps very quickly.

Syrenne McNulty (a game creator/developer) was on the Radio Free Nintendo podcast and talked about developing on the Switch and said it was incredibly easy.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/43976/episode-505-switchmas-presents

Am sure the folks at Netflix will be able to knock something together pretty quickly if that's the case.

Associate
That's a shame, I'm more excited by the Switch than anything else that has been released recently, I was meh about the PS4 Pro although I did get PSVR and that's quite an experience but I don't find I want to stay in it for long periods of time, an hour is more than enough.

Did you watch the new Zelda trailer, didn't you get the urge to explore that world?

Not really, I'd rather replay Skyrim.

Maybe give my character pointy ears and call him link... I wonder if anyone has made a Zelda follower. :D

I'm not really a fan of cell shading either.

Caporegime
Am sure if it gets off to a good start then we'll see Netflix and YouTube apps very quickly.

Syrenne McNulty (a game creator/developer) was on the Radio Free Nintendo podcast and talked about developing on the Switch and said it was incredibly easy.

Am sure the folks at Netflix will be able to knock something together pretty quickly if that's the case.

I was going to listen at work but its 2hrs 20 long! :eek:

Tonight when I'm home alone :D

Soldato

God dammit I was trying not to be an early adopter :mad:

Soldato
Lack of multimedia capabilities is a shame. It's now another device to carry, rather than a better device. Phone, Surface, Switch, Nook every time I go away? Probably not. Not at £280 + games, at least. I'll settle for PC games on the Surface instead.

The Switch seems like such a natural choice for a bunch of multimedia apps and a web browser.

Caporegime

She said it's easy to program for because she can do anything she wants....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfoE0m6aKdA

but that is one of the games she made for Wii U and 3DS. That kinda game is going to be painfully easy to code on anything, like, anything.

She also got several other things wrong while also giving the same "the control isn't too small, it's totally comfortable" and "hd rumble is awesome, because like you can feel the ice cubes" responses that are the standard PR responses Nintendo is asking people to say.

It may or may not be easy to program for, she probably wouldn't know based on what she's doing game dev wise and most importantly half the world is out their being paid to be positive on the Switch. Now isn't the time for honest opinions from game devs looking to make money off the platform.

Associate
From Nintendo/IGN:

The Nintendo Switch version has higher-quality environmental sounds. As a result, the sound of steps, water, grass, etc. are more realistic and enhance the game’s Open-Air feel.

Anyone else notice this one? I call bullsh!t and here's why:

This could be a technical specification leak - at least to my knowledge. For this statement to be true, it needs to be one of two things:
1) SWITCH games support DOLBY ATMOS surround sound encoding
2) The switch unit and JoyCons make extra sounds like water splashes, birdsong etc.

We all know its more likely no.2

ATMOS would likely provide water and footstep echo effects off cave ceilings in game for example. So, now im waiting for them to confirm DOLBY ATMOS support and will be heartily disappointed if they dont! (or did they do that already?)

But then i think, its a portable console, so this has to work in portable mode too... tinny JoyCon speakers it is! :S

Help me out people, tell me im wrong.

Caporegime
Anyone else notice this one? I call bullsh!t and here's why:

This could be a technical specification leak - at least to my knowledge. For this statement to be true, it needs to be one of two things:
1) SWITCH games support DOLBY ATMOS surround sound encoding
2) The switch unit and JoyCons make extra sounds like water splashes, birdsong etc.

We all know its more likely no.2

ATMOS would likely provide water and footstep echo effects off cave ceilings in game for example. So, now im waiting for them to confirm DOLBY ATMOS support and will be heartily disappointed if they dont! (or did they do that already?)

But then i think, its a portable console, so this has to work in portable mode too... tinny JoyCon speakers it is! :S

Help me out people, tell me im wrong.

Could pass through Dolby via HDMI when docked. Then it may switch to normal stereo when on the move. I don't know if it's confirmed or not. But I'd imagine the switch having some kind of speakers.

Also not seen any speaker grills on the JoyCons.

Just speculating here!

Caporegime
On the contrary, if they did give it multimedia options which it wasn't very good at (because it's a console first) they would be openly criticised for that.

Whereas if they offer nothing at all, it'll be rightly criticised.

It'll also mean those looking for a tablet replacement won't bother, not having multimedia capability can only hurt sales.

I'm not even bothered about Netflix etc, but no local video playback?

Last edited:
Soldato
The Switch version likely just has the audio encoded at a higher bit rate, it said higher quality not better positioning.

The Switch definitely has speakers the grills are on the lower back, the Japanese site has better pictures of all the hardware.

Caporegime
God dammit I was trying not to be an early adopter :mad:

671499_1.jpg

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
State of Mind sounds interesting. Never heard of it until today. Seems to be coming to PC also, so if it is any good I will probably pick it up on that unless the Switch version offers something unique with the Joy-Cons. Either way, happy to see the Switch getting it.

Associate
I just don't see what the switch does that will appeal to the larger market. To me it looks like it will appeal to the WiiU market or to those that thought about a WiiU but never got one. I think it will do a bit better than WiiU numbers but suffer the same problems of software droughts due to limited to no 3rd party support. I just can't see big 3rd party AAA games coming out on it due to lack of power.

Now if they do wind down 3ds support and only make switch games I think there won't be long software droughts if any but I only think that happens if the switch sells loads. I don't think it will and I think Nintendo will be to scared to go all in on the Switch as it's only platform.

Back
Top Bottom