Bikers What Cam Do You Use?

Soldato
After some more indepth Googling that does seem the case, might settle for the Hero Session then. Can charge it off one of my powerbanks / at work etc.

Bike mounted is easy to power from a USB, depends what use you want it for. Just commuting? My camera battery will last a day, there and back, just needs charging every night. For a long trip, you'll need extra batteries.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
The main reason I don't have one. Alone with the charging faff etc

After a few people that I know got done because of the footage. I stopped using my action cam, without the footage from the cam some would get away with a course. Due to the footage they got done for a list of offences. :eek: :rolleyes: :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Just don't keep copies ;). Unless something interesting happens, I delete after I get home.

I generally look through the video first to see what I can learn from / do better etc :p.

The issue is being stopped while you are out. They can take the camera off you and review all the footage and basically 'go in dry'.

I'm not saying I ride like a **** everywhere because I don't. However I do like to let loose every now and then, like we all do, and these are the bits I don't want recorded. That said it's very little of my riding I don't want recorded. If something happens in normal circumstances it's always better to have footage......ok I might get one :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Ideally, you want a camera that has segments of footage passing through memory, but only 'records' if you push a button or it detects a crash. I'm sure I've heard of something like this... but I can't think where.

Soldato
Some cameras have remotes which will then record according to pre-set config.

For example if a button is pressed, say on a remote wristband, then what will be recorded is 30 secs before button press and 3 mins after

Soldato
For the past couple of years I've been using a pair of GoPro 3+ Blacks. Very easy to power a multi charger through USB, storing it in the tank bag, and also run a permanent power cable to them if I want to. Although, thanks to the unique way GoPro design their cameras you then can't record sound via an external mic at the same time unless you use GoPro's ridiculously overpriced splitter cable, and that's pretty hit and miss anyway.

I've had enough of the bulkiness though and have just decided to switch to a couple of GoPro 5 Sessions. One of the chaps on our last tour had the original Session, and thanks to the more simple auto power off unless you're recording he was able to get his to last a whole day by just recording the bits he wanted rather than accumulate hours of dull footage that you then have to wade through later on.

I do like the smaller form factor of the Hero 5 Session, especially for a helmet mount (the new ball joint is very good) so hopefully it'll be up to scratch for this season's riding.

It certainly doesn't get you around a need to swiftly delete footage though. The best solution for that is not to record it - it isn't like you're likely to risk posting it online anywhere afterwards :)

Soldato
I have a fantastic action camera in the form of a Foxeer Legend 1. 1080p at 60fps, video quality is superb. I use it on my RC drones. It would be perfect on the bike but I have yet to find a suitable mounting method for it which is rather annoying. Are any of you running something of a similar shape and if so, how are you mounting yours? Mine is this one:-

foxeer1.jpg

Soldato
They probably can, but I imagine the number of convictions each year that use this method are in the low single digits. You've only got yourself to blame if you self-publicise yourself breaking the law.

Agreed. If you are daft enough to post silly speed riding online on YT/Vimeo etc, you pretty much deserve all you get tbh. :cool:

Soldato
After a little help wiring in USB power, I now have my Innovv C3 fitted and working.

oPH253Yh.jpg

I'm not entirely sure it's something I would recommend, doesn't seem very reliable in connecting to your PC to set up. I guess now I have, hopefully I wont need to again. Just take the SD Card out to access the footage.

I'll post my video review when done, maybe this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom