I need help (job related kinda)

Soldato
Have passed an interview for a graphic design position, however the catch is they need someone who is also capable of converting designed PSD's to repsonsive HTML emails. (Technically that's a digital designer but it's a very small part of the job but according to them a dealbreaker)
This is something I am familiar with in the sense I know basic HTML and CSS but I need to readup and learn it pretty fast as they have sent me a test example to create.

I know this could technically be the career or html subforum but I'm hoping to get a little more exposure to my question as it's urgent.

I don't care how I achieve the outputted HTML, be it with software that does it for you or guides you through the process as I cannot become an advanced coder by Monday.

So GD, please could you point me in the right direction to save me time and maybe get me the job.

Thankyou.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Created a permanent redirect link, so you should see traffic from GD and HTML :)

Soldato
OP
Ok, as far as I can gather what I need is a bootstrap email builder, which will primaraly create the columns in a responsive style for me. Which I can input my own text and images too.
Anyone have a recommendation?

Associate
I create email campaigns for my work, i use Dreamweaver. There is a decent template that you can edit to get started if needs be.

I tend to write the code rather than use the designer view but it is really helpful to flick between the two and be able to edit in the designer if needs must.

Soldato
Isn't it just a case of slicing the PSD in Photoshop, then file>save for web, select all slices, then save.

Then just load up your slices into an HTML table or div then apply CSS or whatever you want.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Isn't it just a case of slicing the PSD in Photoshop, then file>save for web, select all slices, then save.

Then just load up your slices into an HTML table or div then apply CSS or whatever you want.

Yes and no, as I believe this method will save all the slices as png and the text will not be responsive on a layer. It can be done this way but the test ask for a particular layer to be mobile responsive and move below certain layers.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
I managed to do it.

I started with using bootstrap but soon found out that is only useful for mailchimp style systems and this wasnt required to be used in that. I then found that using nested tables and columns was the most basic and simple way to do it. The design itself that I had to follow was quite ridgid and only need a layout of a table with 4 columns, to spanning the header and footer and 2 side by side in the middle.
With a bit of css for all the padding and type etc, I only need to then have a few pngs to make it look ok.
Person who I sent it too liked it, so I am now onto the next stage of the process. Going in for a days work.

Associate
Going in for a full days work as part of an interview process? Unless they're paying you that's taking the mick in my opinion. Multi stage interviews fine, but actually asking a candidate for a full days (free) work is not cool!

Soldato
Going in for a full days work as part of an interview process? Unless they're paying you that's taking the mick in my opinion. Multi stage interviews fine, but actually asking a candidate for a full days (free) work is not cool!

That depends, I'd happily do it just for the exposure to the environment. Granted if I'd been in a similar role elsewhere then yes, i'd be a bit miffed but I'd be surprised if it was a full day, a few hours would be more likely.

Soldato
OP

It's paid. I admit, never done it before either. Lucky I am currently self employed as I would find it strange to have to take time off from one job to go to another.

Soldato
OP
Not well. It was an artwork position. 2 day brief, did fine on the first with their 15mins of training on the work I was modifying, however the second day they dropped me in the deep end with some work to see how I'd handle it without knowing exactly what was necessary, (had some basic instructions and had to make it perfect from those) which I thought was pretty harsh. Wasn't accurate enough sadly.
Needed to have a 6th sense on attention to details, which I don't.

Soldato
it's a learning experience for you, so still a positive. Shame it didn't work out though, sometimes they expect a little too much from interviews. I've had it myself, flew through the first bits, they loved me, then said "we know you know nothing about it but here, what can you do with this" kind of thing. I did well but not well enough, never mind, moving on :)

Back
Top Bottom