** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Associate
Wow, this monitor just shot up in price!

Had been planning to get one with xmas money but looks like I left it too late. Presumably the exchange rate has finally filtered through but it's nearly £100 more expensive on average than it was a week or two ago.

Soldato
Wow, this monitor just shot up in price!

Had been planning to get one with xmas money but looks like I left it too late. Presumably the exchange rate has finally filtered through but it's nearly £100 more expensive on average than it was a week or two ago.

Hmm where are you looking at prices? I've been monitoring the price for about 2 months and it certainly hasn't just shot up. It's gradually increased, except for the 'forest' website which dropped their price the other day (although they are not in stock yet). OcUK's price has gone up slightly, which mirrors most other sites.

Soldato
I have just seen 1 on sale for £465.99 which is a good price, they only have 1 for that price. After that one's gone it's back to £488.
Yeah £465 has been the best I've seen for the last 3 weeks or so, but even the website that sold it for that has increased their price to £500.

Aaaand it's back up to £500 again. :)

MG279Q Price History [2017-01-19].png

Last edited:
Associate
ive only just started looking at this monitor, i guess some of it was due to black Friday deals

I was looking at this monitor for about 6 weeks before black Friday and the average price for this monitor was £470 and that includes overclockers selling it for that. Only a few places reduced it on black friday and overclockers was not one of them, the monitor seemed to stay at £470 till about Christmas and then just go up to £500+ every where.

I have just noticed where I got mine from are selling it for £479.99 with free delivery.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want a good price you basically need to check it daily, unfortunately. Not sure about the price fluctuations, I imagine there's some weird algorithm involved in that that takes stock levels into account.

I've only bought one monitor prior to this (NEC 24WMGX3) and got a flawless one so I've been lucky so far; I guess quality control was much better 10 years ago? TFT Central's photo of that monitor is exactly what I used to see on mine - no backlight bleed at all and great black levels.

Still waiting for the MG279Q to get back in stock, could be another week or more. :(

Associate
Would you guys consider B grade? I managed to get my MG279Q from Overclockers a month before black friday for £350, had all the bits with it and minimal blb in the bottom right hand corner. Could not be more happy with it.

Underboss
Would you guys consider B grade? I managed to get my MG279Q from Overclockers a month before black friday for £350, had all the bits with it and minimal blb in the bottom right hand corner. Could not be more happy with it.

of course, i dont mind no box or instructions or cables, but im a little bit of a perfectionist, so id want it without dead pixels and any bleeding

Soldato

The 90 day warranty would make me nervous but apart from that, i'd happily take a B-Grade. My old 2407WFP was B-Grade and is still going absolutely fine!

Soldato
The MG279Q has a 3 year warranty, unless it's a B grade.

Personally I would not bother adding to a 3 year warranty.
I'd generally agree with that. My old one (which was also over £400 at the time) lasted 7.5 years; if I get that out of one of these I'd be very happy!

Associate
Been through 4x MG279Q, most had some form of BLB. 2x of them has pressure marks. 1x was perfect on BLB but developed dead pixels, strangely all in a diagonal row ~2-3mm across. Asus support recommended I return it to etailer as direct RMA would be refurb screen which may have cosmetic usage signs :( . So I returned to the "rainforest", 4th screen luckily has very slight BLB, that you only notice on crazy brightness (ie >70) which I don't use, this has one semi dark pixel which you can only see if few inches away from screen and viewing area directly face on, which I don't as it's far right lower corner section about 5cm up and 2cm in.

IMO do not buy an Asus panel on the basis of Asus supporting you! I know I didn't ;) .

For example besides QA on panel itself FW is an issue on that panel, firstly it's been ~3mths and no movement by Asus on this issue:-

Strange line down the middle of my MG279Q - a lot of R9 Fury users have this problem

I know one poster got rid of his Fury Nitro and bought a Fury X to resolve issue. Now if you think perhaps it's the GPU/vBios read this:-

Asus MG279Q not displaying output on older GPUs

My Q6600/P5K/HD5850 I have owned each item since release, so you can imagine I may have used a lotta screens with it since 2007, only the Asus MG279Q has been like it is! Even modern screens like the Eizo FG2421 and Dell U2515H had no issue with that hardware. I tried various cables/ports/turning FS off in OSD, etc, etc and no joy :( .

Chatting to Asus support UK and highlighting quality of screens/FW issue they really weren't interested in noting issues and forwarding to say a team that may do something.

Soldato
2 weeks on and still not in stock. A few other places are out of stock too, including Asus' web store, and the places that are in stock have shot up their prices. Maybe it's been discontinued?

Or, being incredibly optimistic, they're just readying a brand new batch that will eliminate the backlight bleed issues on previous batches? :D

Back
Top Bottom