*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Bought a HTPC to also run PF Sense in a VM.

What is the best NIC to use? Cheap ones apparently overload the CPU. My system is a budget build. £50 CPU, £40 RAM, £75 MOBO, etc.

So what would be the best in terms of efficiency and performance to use? I'm thinking I only need the one NIC so I can then have 1 in and 1 out going to a POE router which I can then use a Ubiquiti AP from as well as connect some devices by LAN.

I'm using an Intel Pro/1000Pt Dual NIC for my pfSense VM without issues.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm using an Intel Pro/1000Pt Dual NIC for my pfSense VM without issues.

they are under £20 on eBay

£20 quid on ebay? Jeez, I paid £100 for mine :(

cheers guys. £13.98 delivered. I checked a competitor same thing is £197.99 brand new. :p

so what is what 1% of the price new? :eek:

thanks a lot, i noticed it needs "Interface (Bus) Type PCI Express x4"

can anyone recommend a 1151 mobo that supports Kaby Lake out the box that can use a GPU and has a spare PCI-E x4 slot?

Associate
cheers guys. £13.98 delivered. I checked a competitor same thing is £197.99 brand new. :p

so what is what 1% of the price new? :eek:

thanks a lot, i noticed it needs "Interface (Bus) Type PCI Express x4"

can anyone recommend a 1151 mobo that supports Kaby Lake out the box that can use a GPU and has a spare PCI-E x4 slot?

Do remember it's a 2005 card, which will have an affect on pricing now. Some are also fake :p

Soldato
Anyone here using the latest beta controller software (5.5.2) as they have added L2TP over IPSec option for remote user VPN config. Just wondering what data throughput was attainable on either the ERL or the USG?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Anyone here using the latest beta controller software (5.5.2) as they have added L2TP over IPSec option for remote user VPN config. Just wondering what data throughput was attainable on either the ERL or the USG?

I'd assume this to use a local user authentication rather than a radius server, as radius has been there for a while? As local user auth has been CLI only as far as I know. It should fair very well, as i've been reading reports of ~460Mbits/s on a 1Gb line which is very impressive to say the least.

However, the same can't be said about OpenVPN on the ERoL and USG as you'll probably find you'll struggle to get any more than ~10Mbits/s due to it not being hardware offloaded and that its not a native task on the device.

I'm going to be changing the OpenVPN to a IPsec one this week, so ill write a little review once ive rolled it out with a few benchmarks.

Here is a performance test on the ERL > https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/ERL-Performance-Testing-with-IPSec-VPN/m-p/1053513#M44569

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it can use either but up until now the only way to do the L2TP over IPSec was to provide an edited json config file. The site to site option had it in the GUI but the remote user VPN option did not, that was using OpenVPN I believe.

Here's the post I found earlier that resparked my interest in using one of these USG devices rather than creating a separate VPN server on something like a raspberry Pi.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-VPN-L2TP/td-p/1602418/page/5

Judging by kylian's post in your link, he mentions last year that it looks like the ERL can achieve aprox. 38.6 Mbps.

It would be interesting to see how it performs with more than 1 client connection if at all possible.

Providing the performance doesn't reduce to a crawl I would guess it's more likely to be bottle necked by the speed of whatever free wifi hotspot that one is using when out and about.

It's certainly an interesting option for home use rather than rolling separate servers, instead having it all running on the router including radius.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I bought one last week or the week before, unmanaged so plug and play. It's passively cooled as well so no noise. Happy with the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom