Sat nav, Car tax and v5 woes

Soldato
I bought the wife a Yaris last week, dealer misled her about features it didn't have from his ignorance (Renault dealer) on her test drive, he saw a sat nav button so assumed it did have it. A feature she really wanted. But when she got home and I had a play with it and pressed the button "system not installed", A quick Google shows it's £550 odd to install. We went to dealer today and he would not discount the car for the satnav fee, even though it's priced like it should have it, and he just offered a free MOT, so I broke his balls to refund me out of principle for miselling and got her old car back.

Before I get the refund I need the v5 that the dealer sent off, anyone have recent experience how long this takes?

Now for the tax, I taxed the car last week and sent for a refund of the old cars tax, today I retaxed the old car, am I right in assuming I will still get back money on the tax I cancelled? And when I get the v5 back I can cancel that cars tax for a refund?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep. Sounds like 3 tax payments for this month.

This does sound messy though. Good luck. At least you will have SOGA on your side.

Caporegime
People like this (the dealer) really wind me up. Surely taking into account man-hours involved, inconvenience, re-stocking fees, admin fees etc, it would have been simpler to just refund you £550 to get the sat nav enabled? :confused:

Good on you for following your principles though, needed to be done!

Soldato
OP
I got the impression he thought I wouldn't take the hard route, especially with my wife looking fed up and toddler trolling running around the new Reno's. Clearly it would be so easy to refund £550 but no he now has an over priced Yaris that doesn't have all the bells and whistles he assumed it had and with now 2 previous owners instead of 1! It will be so worth 3x January tax when the wait for the v5 is over, old internet posts suggest 2 weeks to 3 months though... A long time to have my 7.5k in limbo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just had to apply for the V5 for the car I bought in December, not sure if the dealer bothered sending the old one off or not. I think you have to give the dvla 6 weeks, but once I sent off a V62 form the new V5 was back within a week, so if your dealer has sent it off I wouldn't expect it to take too long.

Associate
I bought the wife a Yaris last week, dealer misled her about features it didn't have from his ignorance (Renault dealer) on her test drive, he saw a sat nav button so assumed it did have it. A feature she really wanted. But when she got home and I had a play with it and pressed the button "system not installed", A quick Google shows it's £550 odd to install. We went to dealer today and he would not discount the car for the satnav fee, even though it's priced like it should have it, and he just offered a free MOT, so I broke his balls to refund me out of principle for miselling and got her old car back.

Before I get the refund I need the v5 that the dealer sent off, anyone have recent experience how long this takes?

Now for the tax, I taxed the car last week and sent for a refund of the old cars tax, today I retaxed the old car, am I right in assuming I will still get back money on the tax I cancelled? And when I get the v5 back I can cancel that cars tax for a refund?

Going by your location, which dealer is it? without giving out too much info? Wondering if it's who I think it is as I had similar issues in the past.

Soldato
On the other end when I "really want" something in a car I check myself it has the feature. Sounds more like you overpaid and now backtracking it to the Sat Nav saga.

Likely your Mrs believes she was led and the salesman believes there was no leading as he didn't know if it had it.

I say the dealer is acting the way they are out of principle as they think they are right.

Soldato
OP
On the other end when I "really want" something in a car I check myself it has the feature. Sounds more like you overpaid and now backtracking it to the Sat Nav saga.

Likely your Mrs believes she was led and the salesman believes there was no leading as he didn't know if it had it.

I say the dealer is acting the way they are out of principle as they think they are right.

I see your opinion pepsilol, but there is no other hand, let me clear up some of your assumptions. My wife has been driving less than a year, her only car ever is as basic as you can get, T2 53 plate Yaris, the main feature it has is a cassette player, basically a relic of the 20th century, the dealer had to teach her a dozen new features, even that you had to put the clutch in to start the car.

Pretty easy to missell such an overwhelmed young noob driver with all the bells and whistles don't you think? I don't know about you but if I was learning to drive a modern car after a dinosaur and I see a button that says GPS and the dealer tells me it has it as well, I wouldn't be playing with it there or cross my mind that it could not be even there.

The price of the Yaris was in the top end of the normal range for a 1 owner top spec model with all the toys at a main dealer, I *know* I could get it a little cheaper else where from common used car sales men but the location not so good even lesser service, but it becomes overpriced without the £550 gps.

and finally he *admitted* he missold and first offered a free mot or a stand alone unit but not pay us for the inbuilt unit. But don't let your personal dislike of me (yet again) get in the way of a good assumption :)

Yes he could have and I would be none the wiser he got it from ebay, but it wasn't an option for him, mot or cheapo stand alone gps or he cut off his own nose to spite his face, which I will find funny.

Last edited:

nas

nas

Associate

This, if its a feature you really want, it's of course sensible to ensure that it exists before buying.

You don't need to be a car nut to notice whether it has sat nav or not.

Regarding the tax, I believe its refunded for the months not used.

Soldato
Are you pursuing the dealer for having to now purchase two unnecessary tax payments?

Is it a main dealer or an indy? If it's the latter then you may struggle, otherwise go above his head and make a complaint.

Soldato
OP
Are you pursuing the dealer for having to now purchase two unnecessary tax payments?

Is it a main dealer or an indy? If it's the latter then you may struggle, otherwise go above his head and make a complaint.

Renault main dealer, first I'll wait until I get the v5 back for the refund and then I will go for the unnecessary tax payments.

Soldato
This, if its a feature you really want, it's of course sensible to ensure that it exists before buying.

You don't need to be a car nut to notice whether it has sat nav or not.

It does exist it has the button, the dealer said it had it. Why would anybody think otherwise? You would be there all day going through a lists of does it have and checking each one, surely the dealer should know and not lie about it.

Soldato
Pretty sure by brand new 2012 A4 had a nav button on the steering wheel despite not having nav. Annoyed the hell out of me for the 3 months I had that car.

Soldato
Did you not go with the wife when deciding on the purchase? My wife is the complete opposite, she even refused to come along to see the car when I got her Yaris, had to threaten her to get in to come along to see the car and then when there she refused to drive it letting me drive it even though it would be her mainly driving it. She did get in to adjust the seat and check out the pedals to make sure she could reach them but even that was with the engine off.

Thankfully, she didn't have any problems with it after purchase and now loves it as the inanimate object it is :)

Back
Top Bottom