*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Man of Honour
I currently have Sky Q with the full TV package. My discount on movies, sports, box sets etc ends next month, putting my bill up to £95. I rang to cancel the extra bits, so I'll just have basic TV for £35. I am still in contract with Q till September I believe.

What's the chances that I'll be offered 50% off sports or similar in the my account area?

I think you'd need to cancel fully to get any offers sent through, could be wrong mind but that's the impression I've always had

Just in case anyone is wondering, nothing appeared in my Sky account, however I looked on my Q box and there was a 50% off offer for Cinema and Sports for 8 months so I've taken that. I'll then bite the bullet for the 2 months overlap at the end of the 8 months and then cancel fully and hopefully come back with another 60% off offer.

Caporegime
There are very few discounts available on the Q boxes themselves but any subs discount you already have, including the F1 Legacy HD pack WILL carry over to Q.

Man of Honour
Rang them yesterday to try and get a better deal. Currently have 3 Sky boxes (2 recordable), a full channel package, Sky fibre and weekend phone calls. Paying £135 a month.

Upgrading to Sky Q would reduce the bill by one multi room subscription of about £12 but with an upfront cost of £297.

Virgin have a deal of £85 for VIP package of all channels, 200MB and anytime calls and two of their new V6 Tivo boxes. Plus £250 cashback via Quidco, effectively reducing the bill to less than £65 a month for the 12 month commitment. Plus I gain BT sport and won't loose the 13 channels that Sky loose from 1st February.

Best Sky could offer is reducing the Sky Q upfront cost to £199 from £297 or keep my existing equipment and reducing the bill to £107.

Looks like I'll be moving to Virgin.

Although I do have reservations over their internet reliability from being a customer in the past. And the last version of their Tivo box being fairly rubbish.

Caporegime
I've just done the very same thing!

Sky wouldn't give me a decent deal on Q so moved to VIP with virgin and 200Mb gamer broadband and two V6 boxes for £90 ( got the cash back too). Compared to my current deal ending with sky and not giving anything near the 50% off I currently had and wanting up front install costs for Sky q (had everything with sky and two HD record boxes)

The V6 box is not slow at all, was my major worry after having virgin 3 years ago and hating the box, this is really good.

The only downside for me and one of great disappointment to me is a lack of HD content in the Sky Cinema section of on demand, wanted to watch Ant Man and it's not available in HD.

Supposedly in the virgin forum this is something that is going to be rectified soon (they said soon about 12 months ago so how much truth is in that I don't know).

Other than that no complaints really.

Commissario
Just done the cancellation for my Dad, will wait and see if the 50% offer comes through. Whereabouts in the online account does it usually show?

Soldato
I've just done the very same thing!

Sky wouldn't give me a decent deal on Q so moved to VIP with virgin and 200Mb gamer broadband and two V6 boxes for £90 ( got the cash back too). Compared to my current deal ending with sky and not giving anything near the 50% off I currently had and wanting up front install costs for Sky q (had everything with sky and two HD record boxes)

The V6 box is not slow at all, was my major worry after having virgin 3 years ago and hating the box, this is really good.

The only downside for me and one of great disappointment to me is a lack of HD content in the Sky Cinema section of on demand, wanted to watch Ant Man and it's not available in HD.

Supposedly in the virgin forum this is something that is going to be rectified soon (they said soon about 12 months ago so how much truth is in that I don't know).

Other than that no complaints really.

See overall this package from Virgin with the V6 box looks really good but as I am locked to BT internet until I don't know when (been 2 years now) but then I might be able to look at the packages they do. The 200Mb speed would be great and I have fibre direct to home so don't see an issue with the speed itself.

The TV overall looks like it has improved to catch up with sky with the new box and in some cases surpass it even. However TV by itself is expensive and they really need to strike a deal on Atlantic.

The only thing with the box from Virgin is it does look like a VCR from the 90's haha. Not that it is end of world but they could have done a little more with it.

Soldato
If the removal of Discovery channels and Eurosport goes ahead, would this warrant a clause in the contract to terminate as there's almost 12 channels being removed?

Man of Honour
If the removal of Discovery channels and Eurosport goes ahead, would this warrant a clause in the contract to terminate as there's almost 12 channels being removed?

I am wondering this as well. I am ringing them tonight anyway as the Sports & Cinema I just took out is not HD so I want to cancel that.

Caporegime
I am wondering this as well. I am ringing them tonight anyway as the Sports & Cinema I just took out is not HD so I want to cancel that.

you can remove those from your online account

It was an 8 month thing so I don't know if I can.

Cinema channels are all HD without paying any extra now. Sports requires the Sports HD pack. You can change your TV subs while in contract giving 31 days notice.

Man of Honour
Just ordered the VIP package from VM, so I'll be cancelling Sky around the end of February.

£85 for everything I currently have with Sky plus BT Sport and not loosing 13 channels on 1st February. Plus anytime calls and 200MB Fibre on top.

Plus £250 cashback via Quidco so effectively less than £65 a month for what Sky are charging me £135 for, rising to £147 in April when the line rental price rises and my Sky Fibre discount ends.

The only content I wont get is Sky Atlantic and any UHD sport or movies Sky broadcast.

I think I can live with that to half my bill.

Back
Top Bottom