New Camera

Associate
OP
You need to think about what you want to shoot, how you want to shoot, what gear you are willing to travel with and lug around, whether you want to be able to change lenses for specific photos, whether you see yourself taking tripods, flashes and extra else with you, or you want something that fits in a pocket etc. Are you going to spend time editing the photos when you get home or do you need good out of camera photos? Is your budget rigid or are you able to spend another 300-700 a year on new lenses, filters and accessories?

Camera size is really not important in determining image quality. However, your 500quid will go much further buying a 2nd hand DSLR and lens, but you will want to spend significantly more down the road on new lenses. There is also an important mindset, will you want to go out with 2-3 lenses and swap them over regularly depending on what you are shooting? Do you see yourself carrying a tripod around (if you really care about IQ then a tripod is a necessity for any static scene).

If you just want to take good photos without hassle or extra costs then something like the Panasonic LX7 is excellent.

Thanks for replying!!

Don't really think I'll be carting around a tripod but I'll probably get lenses for which ever camara I pick if that helps.

Caporegime
Thanks for replying!!

Don't really think I'll be carting around a tripod but I'll probably get lenses for which ever camara I pick if that helps.

If you don't want to use a tripod due to weight then I think the Sony RX100 or Panasonic LX7 type camera would probably be appropriate, you then also don't have to cart around lenses.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive recently bought a Fuji XT-10 and really enjoying using it. Its a mirroless camera so is smaller than a traditional DSLR and has most of the features you need.

As mentioned above though, shooting in manual or semi auto with Aperture Priority is very challenging for a beginner and you will get more duff shots then good to start with. Its really all about practice and getting to know the camera settings so you can change them quickly.

Whatever camera you go for make sure you get it with plenty of time before the holiday so you can get familiar with it.

You will need a tripod (or something to rest the camera on at least) if you are wanting to take good landscape or night time shots though.

Soldato
There is much to be said about a decent compact - the advantage of something pocketable is the fact you will you tend to take it out more often with you and I have taken some of my favourite pictures with a compact.

However,the price of prosumer compacts is now coming to dSLR and mirrorless camera level. Last month and the month before you could get a Olympus OM-D E-M10 II or Fuji XT10 for under £400 and these have fantastic image quality and are very easy to use. They are also quite compact and lightweight too for an interchangeable lens camera.

Back
Top Bottom