And the nominees for 2017 are...

PayDay Lover
Associate
Guess he doesn't like Saving Private Ryan, Godfather, Pulp Fiction etc

All good, but to be fair, that is quite some time ago.
There is the occasional gem, but for the most part films nominated are not to my style - which I freely admit is due to my poor tastes being low standard popcorn fodder for the masses

Caporegime
Some people say...that the reason for lack of nomination for Amy Adams is due to the votes split between Arrival and Nocturnal Animal. Having seen both I can see where they are coming from because she is fantastic in that too. So if you can only nominate once, and want to nominate Amy Adams...her votes are halved.

Soldato
Yeah, but they're few and far between...

Just since 2000 alone...non exhaustive, just films I very highly rate.

Mystic River, Training Day, The Theory Of Everything, The Last Kind Of Scotland, Gladiator, The Departed, Argo, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, No Country For Old Men, Black Swan, Traffic

Soldato
Biggest shocker - Mel Gibson nominated - whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, I thought that guy was banned from all Hollywood tables by now?

Obviously not. If the Oscars really are about film and not politics they he probably does deserve the nomination. He has a fairly good track record as a director.

Soldato
Biggest shocker - Mel Gibson nominated - whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, I thought that guy was banned from all Hollywood tables by now?

Be interesting to see if money has forgiven all past transgressions, or if he gets a slapping down by nominations in loads of categories and winning none.
Most interesting thing of the Oscars this year for sure.

-edit
Just to point out, I have very much enjoyed Mel's work personally as an actor and director, and hope the movie wins what it deserves.

Last edited:
Associate
Saw La La Land this afternoon with the Mrs without knowing really what to expect. She enjoyed it, but not enough to see what the fuss was about. I loved it - great music, great cinematography (particularly the long moving sequences with no cuts, and the intimate close-up exchanges), a few subtle (and no so subtle) digs at the Hollywood establishment and rat-race, Nice bitter-sweet twist at the end.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Just since 2000 alone...non exhaustive, just films I very highly rate.

Mystic River, Training Day, The Theory Of Everything, The Last Kind Of Scotland, Gladiator, The Departed, Argo, Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, No Country For Old Men, Black Swan, Traffic

Of those films, Training Day, The Departed, Gladiator. Were films I was interested in and enjoyed.
Most the others don't pique my interest. Though I did watch Last King of Scotland, but that was a painfully tedious experience.

Like I said, I have poor, simple man tastes so these high quality films tend to be wasted on me

Caporegime
Finally.

This year is the first time ever I managed to watch every Best Picture Nominees before the Oscars.

Best picture
Arrival
Fences
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
La La Land
Lion
Manchester By the Sea
Moonlight

I think La La Land will win, it is my favourite by miles. Moonlight do deserve something though, it is an important piece of filmmaking and I won't be too upset if it wins.

Everything else though don't stand a chance.

Commissario
awkward-20170227-094037.jpg

Back
Top Bottom