extra heat in kids bedroom

Soldato
Unfortunately my 2YO appears to have the coldest bedroom in the house.

would something like this be completely inappropriate to put in there ?
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homeba...1484|cgn:HBI31AB&utm_content=Radiator&pEmail=<%user.CustomAttribute.UserID%>@homebase.co.uk&utm_campaign=CM_2017_01_27_HBI31_AB&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Homebase&uid=7697796634&mid=751589745

Our central heating does have a wireless control but not zone control otherwise our lives would be much easier I guess

Soldato
OP I dont see why not, you could go a step further and put a guard round it too to maybe mitigate any chance of the child touching it.

Associate
I have the exact same heater for my daughters north facimg room, as her radiator never seemed to get hot enough as it is the furthest away from the boiler..

The radiator did get hotter after i lagged the pipes in the loft, but i found that turning down the other radiators downstairs just a tad made hers a lot hotter. So no need for an extra heater.

Soldato
I have had to do the same. I keep the house thermostat in my sons room so his room is always right.

I bought an oil filled rad but the problem is the rather loud click form the thermostat of the oil rad or indeed anything else I have tried. In the middle of the night it disturbs him.

We did have a heater with no thermostat but its age and design meant I wouldn't be comfortable using it in his bedroom.

I'd be interested in a completely silent solution too if anyone has one?

Soldato
Unfortunately my 2YO appears to have the coldest bedroom in the house.

would something like this be completely inappropriate to put in there ?
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homeba...1484|cgn:HBI31AB&utm_content=Radiator&pEmail=<%user.CustomAttribute.UserID%>@homebase.co.uk&utm_campaign=CM_2017_01_27_HBI31_AB&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Homebase&uid=7697796634&mid=751589745

Our central heating does have a wireless control but not zone control otherwise our lives would be much easier I guess

It says - Safety information: Keep out of reach of children.
Andi.

Associate
As others have said if you have a wireless thermastat then put that in the coldest room, set the temperature to have that room comfortable and turn down the stats on other radiators (assuming your others have them)

Associate
Replace/Increase the size of the radiator + TRV would be the best solution. I was did that all around my house and the difference is massive. I'd also check the humidity

Caporegime
I bought the Dyson Fan & heater thing. it's expensive at £300-£400 but it's very good and safe.

You can set a room temp and it will turn on and off to maintain that temperature. So set it to 16C and it won't let the room drop below that. Effectively it will keep topping the room up with heat when needed.

it has a remote control. Can be used as a fan. Is energy efficient. it looks cool. However it is expensive but IMO it's worth it as it doesn't look terrible and it's dual purpose as a fan. It's also portable. i can lift it with 1 hand and take it into another room if needed.

Soldato
Balance the rads and then turn down the ones that you dont need so much, it could be the rad in the kids room is old and filled with crud?

Try this first. Sorry if this is obvious already OP:

• Bleed all the rads of air (get the system hot first)
  • Throttle the "nearer" rads so they warm up more slowly, open up the "farther" rads (like in the cold room)
  • Set the TRVs appropriately for each room

If you're like me it takes a lot of trial and error but when you get it right it's satisfying.

Soldato
What size and spec (single. double, convector etc) is the radiator in there? You might be able to stop it for a bigger/more powerful rad. Im doing the same in the utility room and converting a single to a double which it the ratings are correct will give me almost a 40% increase.

Soldato
OP
Her radiator isn't undersized, with the heating on the room will heat up.
I think the reason her room is colder is that 3 of the 4 walls are external walls. (every other bedroom in the house only has 1 exterior wall)

If I run the heating all night, then everywhere else in the house will be stifling.

The house is a new build (4 years old now) so the whole central heating system is new and the house is pretty well insulated. the double glazing is all new as well (obviously)

I am aware that the heater I linked to says keep away from Children, hence me asking in here. However how is it really any different to a hot radiator which is currently un protected ?

Back
Top Bottom