The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - MODS & TWEAKS

Associate
So finally got around to getting the SE edition of Skyrim. Loving it so far but wanted to see if I can make it look, well, better.

Have installed the following mods so far:

Realistic Water two
Vivid Weathers
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Immersive sounds

haven't tested it yet but hoping for something good.

also .. what is an EBM?

Soldato
For a first time buyer (yeah, I'm one of the four people who haven't played this yet), would I be better off getting the original, or the special edition? I specifically mean in terms of modding - does one have better mod support these days than the other?

Soldato
Started playing Skyrim again and played it for a couple days and things was going well until I installed Physical Rain and Snow by Xilante and it glitched with still showing rain drops on the ground when it was a bright sunny day, so uninstalled it. Then suddenly started having way to many CTD's that it started to get irritating (barely played 5 min or less before it just crashed for me). Even after going back and starting a save before having installed the mod still gave me crashes, so using google I find a mention of FallrimTools - Script cleaner and more by Mark Fairchild and ran that. Loaded up the game on the cleaned saved file and viola ! played over 2 hours straight without a single crash ! :cool:

Just leveled up to lvl 8, but think the levelling up is a bit slower (using Ordinator, Skyrim Community Uncapper and Uncapper for Ordinator) then if having used SkyRE so could have restarted the game I guess, so was glad I found the above fix. :D

Does anyone know a good mod that actually keeps the rain from showing when you under cover ?? I was in one of the alleys in Riften, with thick stone celling above the head and still it showed it was raining right infront of me, hence why I tried the above mod but having had bad experience thought I ask if anyone can recommend something else before trying again. :o

Soldato
Sorry for double post and bumping up this thread but saw on Nexus that Steam has stopped selling the Legendary Edition so thought I should mention it, incase some still playing it.

Not sure if a game is not in the shop, if it can be reinstalled if you have it in your Library ?? If not, might be an idea to save the Skyrim folder on a separate HD maybe ? Although, for now you can find the Skyrim LE if you have a direct link, but it can not be found if you using the search function within Steam, only the Special Edition. So it seems like the LE is about to be removed from Steam, maybe ?

Edit: Just saw a post on Nexus saying even if a game been deleted from shop it can still be reinstalled etc so guess my post here is useless.. :p .. I was just not aware of it since never happened to me yet. :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Howdy. So I may finally give Skyrim another play through, modded this time. What's the state of affairs with the SE regarding mods? Have most of the major/important mods been made available for the SE, or are serious modders better off sticking with the original version? I realise my knowledge is woefully out of date, but all help is appreciated!

Soldato
Howdy. So I may finally give Skyrim another play through, modded this time. What's the state of affairs with the SE regarding mods? Have most of the major/important mods been made available for the SE, or are serious modders better off sticking with the original version? I realise my knowledge is woefully out of date, but all help is appreciated!

A lot of the major ones have been ported by the makers themselves and random users who ported them, some normal Skyrim mods do work in Skyrim SE for example Towns and Villages Enhanced - Whiterun while the others of the same series also work fine but you have to delete the .bsa file, some guy also made "patches" for them, not sure what the patch does or if it's needed.

Other major ones ported over and being updated are Skyrim Flora Overhaul, Racemenu, Immersive Hud, XP32 Skeleton, Fores New Idles, CBBE, BetterDialogue Controls, SkyUI, SMIM and tons of the other big nane mods., all the major follower mods and controls.

I read that some mods are really simple to port over, all you do is load up the mod in Creation Engine and "save" it and it's done, doesn't work for them all I believe and I not done any myself yet.

You won't have a problem modding your game.

I recommend using Mod Organiser 2 (latest version) and Nexus for your mods.

Do remember modding Skyrim is a slow process, you gotta read the descriptions and installation advice correctly and some mods need other mods installed first or in the right order, it's crap, but it's the only way for a safe game.

Remember to disable your mods till you finished the intro of the game, the cart ride and all that part gets very broken when you have mods installed.

So it's best to play the game till you finished that area and get to Riverwood and make a clean save and enable the mods. Also keep your FPS at 60 or less.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of the major ones have been ported by the makers themselves and random users who ported them, some normal Skyrim mods do work in Skyrim SE for example Towns and Villages Enhanced - Whiterun while the others of the same series also work fine but you have to delete the .bsa file, some guy also made "patches" for them, not sure what the patch does or if it's needed.

Other major ones ported over and being updated are Skyrim Flora Overhaul, Racemenu, Immersive Hud, XP32 Skeleton, Fores New Idles, CBBE, BetterDialogue Controls, SkyUI, SMIM and tons of the other big nane mods., all the major follower mods and controls.

I read that some mods are really simple to port over, all you do is load up the mod in Creation Engine and "save" it and it's done, doesn't work for them all I believe and I not done any myself yet.

You won't have a problem modding your game.

I recommend using Mod Organiser 2 (latest version) and Nexus for your mods.

Do remember modding Skyrim is a slow process, you gotta read the descriptions and installation advice correctly and some mods need other mods installed first or in the right order, it's crap, but it's the only way for a safe game.

Remember to disable your mods till you finished the intro of the game, the cart ride and all that part gets very broken when you have mods installed.

So it's best to play the game till you finished that area and get to Riverwood and make a clean save and enable the mods. Also keep your FPS at 60 or less.

This is great info, thank you so much! I'll start doing some investigating...

Soldato
Sorry for double post and bumping up this thread but saw on Nexus that Steam has stopped selling the Legendary Edition so thought I should mention it, incase some still playing it.

Edit: Just saw a post on Nexus saying even if a game been deleted from shop it can still be reinstalled etc so guess my post here is useless.. :p .. I was just not aware of it since never happened to me yet. :o

Its still on Steam and you can still purchase it including the DLC's but all the links from the shop have been removed so you'll have to search to find it. Honestly you'd think Bethesda wanted you to purchase the Special Edition instead...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom