Keeping lights and mirrors clean on long journeys

Associate
ETA: If your doors are filthy, how do you imagine your lights magically stay clean?

I honestly have no idea, but they are. In all honesty I don't really have any visible dirt above the kind of mid way door line. It must be something about the shape of my car.

I certainly agree with others and have had the backs of hatchbacks I've had muck up relatively quickly, just never come across it to this extent on lights / mirrors.

Man of Honour
I always carry a bottle of Autoglym glass cleaner and some kitchen roll in my car, though this is more use to me in the summer to remove squashed fly mess off the windscreen. I tend to use water and a sponge to clean off plates and lights at a service station when on a journey as most tend to have them by the pumps.

Soldato
I have a cheap pack of window wipes in the car. Quick wipe with those then a rinse with water and all is well. I often have to do the side windows, headlights and mirrors when I'm out on a work tour for a few days.

Caporegime
I don't have this problem because my car was specced with xenons so has headlight washers. ;)

On a more serious matter our commuter car is on the road 364 days a year so never gets a wash. There was a road closure a couple of weeks back so took a B road route back home. Had to stop and clean my headlights as I could barely see anything.

Car at the moment is basically a panda. Clean headlights and number plates but the rest is pure filth. Opening the rear tailgate is a dangerous task for the cleanliness of your hand!

Permabanned
My car has headlight washer, all they serve to do is drain the washer fluid quicker!

I also have an electric boot, but since the car has keyless entry ive gotten in the habit of never taking my keys out, so i end reaching for the boot release on the boot.....1st world problems :(

I did end up washing my car in the rain as i just got fed up getting my clothes dirty everytime i went near the car:p

Associate
OP
Drove up and down to London from Manchester this weekend.

Conditions weren't as bad as the last couple of weeks, but still needed a bit of a clean before returning. Spray bottle of autoglym and paper towel took slightly longer than the wet wipes but worked better and lasted longer.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom